• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chevy Silverado Engine

chevydude7

Any ideas on how to get more horsepower out of a 2010 Chevy Silverado 4.8l v8 4x4? I already have a magnaflow exhaust system but it seems like my truck is pretty slow after I put on bigger tires and is really slow when going up hills. I know that I should've gotten the 5.3 but the truck was given to me so it's what I got! Any help would be great. Thanks

Chris Tobin

A tuner may help as well as a true cold air intake, not just a filter on a stick! But, honestly with the gassers the power increases are kinda small unlike the diesel engines where they can really be improved with a simple tune!

Your best bet may be in a set of gears to put the engine back into its original power band with the larger tires you installed, but new front and rear gears will not be cheap...

chevydude7

I'll look into the cold air intake and the tuners thanks! Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the gears... you're right they are definately not cheap!

dirtdudeaz

The quickest way to get power is Forced Induction, either by means of a supercharger or turbo charger. Magnacharger and vortechs are popular brands for superchargers, and STS and Turbonetics for turbochargers. Not only is this the easy route, but it happens to be the most expensive.

Other things you can do, like others said already, is change gearing and the stall converter, intake, full exhaust (headers/cat back), and a tune.

If you want to tear into the motor for a little extra power, you can change out the cam shaft to something more aggressive.

If you want to get really crazy and spend a ton of money, you could bore/stroke the motor, put new internals in including a cam and change out the heads.

Finally, if you want something unique for more money than the basics (intake/exhaust/tune), buy a 5.3 or 6.0 and do a swap. You will need to either swap the transmission as well or spend $1,000 and beef your current trans up. This will probably give you "the best bang for your buck." You can normally pick up these motors and everything you need with low miles for less than $2,000.

chevydude7

Dirt- thanks for the reply and the info. I'll look into the superchargers. I don't think i'll swap the engine though. The engine now has really low mileage (only 20,000 miles over 2 years). I'm probably going to try the tuners and the intake first and see if that is enough power for me. I looked at a brand called whipple superchargers which seemed pretty good. It would give me an extra 275 hp but it's way out of my price range.