chevy torsion ideas

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Could I get resevoir shocks custom mounted to a shock hoop and custom valved for my torsion bar chevy and maybe some air bumps with custom arms and get it to soak up the bumps decently in the dezert. What else might I have to do or is it just hopeless? I know other torsion bar vehicles you can get to handle decently in the desert? I dont want to go to the extreme of custom fabbing some coilovers on it with 930cv's and dont want to swap to the i beams. Right now it just bounces and bounces more and more any ideas???

Ryno

Reaction
I've played around with that idea so much it almost makes me sick. But, the cost to have the arms fabbed up is so great, then shock hoops, and cutting the fenderwell. Then the alignment from the stock mounting points. See where I got frustrated? If you want tire clearance, talk to Jeff...the DC kit is the strongest out there.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

rdc

Reaction
I have the RCD kit (Hate the kit not pratical have any questions why just ask) now and if i replaced the rear drop down bracket with an unbent one and beefed it up somehow it might be decent. The lift spindle gives me alot of room between the uca and lca and would be able to mount a resevoir shock easily with a custom shock hoop off the top of the frame. Tire clearance is not a problem I allready ghetto styles chopped the bumpstops and my tire barely rubs with alot of trimming too the bumper and glass fenders back by the cab. I am mounting 12" limiting straps on it in a few weeks. So any ideas on what I could do from here to make it soak up bumps better? Im trying to work with what I got since I am only 19 and dont have a super well paying job.

BigD

Reaction
theres a new white silverado in orange county that has the same type of set up your talkin about. hes got a rancho kit and hes running a 2.5" fox. the set up is super clean and apparently it works pretty decent too. he has stock arms, but he just made a tiny little shock hoop to mount it on. looked pretty trick. there was also a navy blue sierra runnin around sc that had the same set up with a big ol king instead. it worked really good from what i know, at least a lot better than stock. if you valved it right im sure it would work great. ill try and find a pic

Ryno

Reaction
That's a truck Jamie Campbell did. It's in the readers rides. Uses the rancho kit, and then glass and air bumps, with straps for the rest. I guess it does pretty good, and retains the 4wd. Rancho is the only 1 piece subframe besides supertrucks, and it drops everything about 5". Pretty easy way to increase the travel. Hmmm....=)

Ryno

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Actually he just chased for Jamie. Some other 4wheel place built the shocks hoops and front bumper. The back was stock on the thing, he never got a chance to finish it before he sold it. They are in San Juan where Jeff Falzone is now. I forgot the name. The owner is Larry?

"faster than it looks"

rdc

Reaction
The rancho kit drops the lca 6" inches and drops and rotates the diff 4" (same with my rcd). Dropping the diff 4" and rotating it saves the front drive shaft from harsh angles however the cv angles are increased. The cv angles at full compression arent bad at all, its full droop were the angle is really steep. So all you would have to do is get limiting straps, custom fab some 930cv's on there or shave the cv joints so they wont bind if you want to go the cheap way. I dont see why this setup wont work if the resevoirs are valved right. You wont get loads of travel out of this but at least you can cruise through some wupps at a decent speed without having to wear a kidney belt. This will only work with a spindle lift and you only have one option for your year truck ryno and thats RCD with their 2 piece subframe. You now have another option ryno what do you think?

BigD

Reaction
falzones company is called Giant. he works out of full tilt in the businees park in san clemente.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yep Full Tilt it came to me last night but I was too lazy to post it.

"faster than it looks"

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think I'm going to do the same thing with my F1. It too has a RCD kit on it and is 4x4. I'm going to cut off the steel bumpstops and replace them with Bilstein bumpstops and then fab a shock hoop and run a 7100 or maybe a King. I think that would work a lot better than how it does now and I don't think it would be that complicated or expensive to do. Its not going to be the fastest truck out there, but it will be reliable (since its a F1) and will be able to go almost anywhere (since its 4x4). Plus it will still pull chicks cause it looks super clean (thats the most important right?)!

With the Chevy's I thought you could still use the stock shock mount as a heim shock is compatible with the stock mount?

See ya in the dirt!

ntsqd

Reaction
A friend has a DuraMax that sees Mexico trips on a regular basis. He's more interested in comfort on the washboards than whoop prowess. It started with an RCD kit, but the supplied 5100's weren't up to the task. It got a set of Kings which smoothed things right out. One thing about those trucks, that isn't only a bumpstop. It's part of the springing. Think of it as a hyd bump set to be in contact with the arm all of the time.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Ryno

Reaction
Hmmm...not to dis you, but all the rancho 88-98 kits I have seen have the axles in a straight line across, where the RCD kits have them angled due to the spindles. I think you could fit a 35" tire easily with glass....I'm just not down with the 2 piece subframe, I've seen alot of bad things. I'm gonna do more research, but I'm still down with keeping my chevy, doing the beam front, then buying a new truck for a daily driver.

Ryno

rdc

Reaction
I know all the 88-98 rancho kits cv's are in a straight line thats because they are not spindle lifts. They drop the uca, lca and diff all a true 6". I was talking about the rancho kits for the 99-02 chevy 1500 4x4's because thats what the truck had above. I was saying for our 88-98 trucks RCD has the only kit avaiable that is a spindle lift type kit. I am just giving ideas on a cheaper functional way of not having to do a coilover conversion or a i beam conversion. This is what I might do, if you do the beams i think that would be sick to see beams on a chevy and work. Definetly soak up the bumps alot better than the spindle lift way Im talking about. Im planning to keep my chevy as my daily driver.

Ryno

Reaction
For right now, until I see how things go after the 1st of the year...my Z71 is still my daily driver. If I can afford a HD with a duramax...I'm there. Then the beams go on. Otherwise...I'll be looking into other options. I think we can all agree that your idea is the easiest and probably the least work/ most reliable.