Chevy?

sweetdevil

Reaction
Well, let me intorduce myself real quick... I'm the NooB... I live in Palm Desert, just got my 02 s10, and came here for a little advice, well, while waiting for my activation and such, I think I figured out what I want, but you guys seem to have some interesting stuff going on anyway, so I'll stick around... Any other Chevy lovers in here? I've heard a lot about why Ford is better to prerunner (I-beams and such) but want to know what you all think about it... Don't wanna cause any friction, or get any flames (I'm a long time member at a drag racing website, and I know how mean we can be to the new kids) but just some opinions on why there aren't many Prerunnered Chevy's. Anyone know much about the phat Chevy Kit from Black Market Fab??? Thanks!

Life Sucks.... get a [censored] helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ryno is on your side!

Chevy = money. Thats why there are not many built. Good chevy work is most often custom work...more kits are becoming available, but still $$$

Advice...keep it stock or buy a Ford...but that's just my 2 cents.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Just don't put beams on it, you will wreck a perfectly good Chevy (just my opinion). Just wait for a few years for my prerunner EL CAMINO- yeah, you read it right. My plans for it are full tube chassis, full fiberglass accept for the stock cab (in true prerunner fashion), centered pivots and 4-link. All you TT's, bring it on, I will smoke you in Baja, or off the leap, or where and whatever you want to go on, just wait till it is built, and it will out jump Robby at Olds, anyone up for it? And when I have my fab shop I am gonna put out an El Camino long travel kit that will use stock pivot points with coilovers and whatever stuff it will have. Now admit it, you would buy an El Camino just for that, wouldn't you? C'mon now, 'fess up people. John and Klaus will be calling me up to do a feature in the next Dezert People movie. What do you think John? lol

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by elcaprerunner on 11/12/02 06:44 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Ryno

Reaction
Kris-

You crack me up! We gotta have a beer sometime. Yes, I am a chevy guy. Not that I can't give Ford props, because their 4x4 beams are going on my chevy, but chevy has always had the motor. I don't know much about the s10's...I'm more of a motor/ driveline guy, and learning suspension as I go. I know CST does some nice stuff, and Dank Fab does too. I've heard of Black Market, but have not seen their work.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
isnt the el co 4 link stock? You are gonna have a helluva time doing what you are doing to that chassis.

Kris

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Eric at Black Market just built an awesome front end on an s-10, i forget the specs but i know its way wide and uses an 8" king coilover. I am going over this week to take pics of it for his site. email him your address and he will send you the pics.

LVprerunners.com

SJP12

Reaction
Welcome NooB ( hell i'm still a newbie ) . I've also got an S-10 and there are a few others on here with S-10's also. Youve come to the right place for advice about off road/prerunners and such, these guys here know there stuff.

As for S-10's, heres what i've learned. You can LIFT it ( :( ) and have a all show no go truck that won't work for S$$T offroad and WILL BREAK REALLY EASY, OR you Spend lots of money for something that works. If you really want something that works i've heard about a kit coming out made by NEWLINE that is suposed to ROCK. Anyway that's my .2 cents. GOODLUCK

P.S. I hear FABTECH has a really good lift kit for S-10's J/K:)

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Yeah, they do come stock with a 4-link, and for a car it soaks pretty good too (it has been in the dirt a couple of times, not too hard though). No, my prerunner will be a full tube chassis built like a Trophy Truck but the only stock Elco part will be the cab and it will have Elco style fiberglass front end and Elco style rear fiberglass bedsides, pretty much Riviera's prerunner but an El Camino instead of an F-150. If you mean my Elco long travel kit well I don't know about that, you are probably right about the stock Elco chassis. So far it is just kind of a joke. I am studying fabrication and hope to own a shop someday, so when that time comes around I would like to try to make a long travel kit for Elco's, just for sh*!ts and giggles though. The reason I want to do it is because my daily driver is an '86 Elco, and since it is half truck. Me and my best friend did a drawing of mine all built but with I-beams and an American/checkered flag paint job. If you guys want to see it just post and I will take a picture of the drawing and post it on here, just say the word!

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Fabtech actually makes good lift kits, it's just that their kits are not made for the abuse most people think they are. Fabtech is a big business and a smart business. They build for the majority and the majority just wants "the look", hence the overstuffed coil and maxed out ball joint. Also when you run the volume they do every little corner cut counts to the bottom line and therefore you dont get a superior hand made product....and as the saying goes...you get what you pay for.

Personally I do not run anything fabtech, but as long as the truck is not going to be jumping or hitting whoops at speed it is a good product for what it is.

Kris

jarreptolson

Reaction
you should go down to Autofab and talk to john, last time i was down there they had a el camino under a tarp and it looked pretty built. In his office he has a few pics of el camino's skyin' through the desert.

Clifford

Reaction
I've got a '01 S10. I've been a Chevy guy as long as I can remember. I'll probably own a Chevy until I take my last breath.

My view on lift kits for your daily driver is rather different. I'd prefer to put my money in a prerunner that is not driven everyday instead of your primary means of transpo. Sure, my S10 will have a sensible lift, 3" Bullseye spindles, rear add-a-leaf, and some Bilsteins. But why try and make a awesome handling prerunner out of your daily driver. Disco all the way with my S10, but don't laugh too hard and call me a pavement pounder, 'cause I can still beat you to La Paz in my Volkswagen.

Ryno

Reaction
El Ca-

"Just don't put beams on it, you will wreck a perfectly good Chevy "

On really? Sorry...but when chevy designs a suspension for a 4wd besides a solid axle, I'll put that on. The IFS that's on the 4wd's now isn't worth a s**t. I'm really tired of replacing front end components, ie-ball joints, tie rod ends, and getting alignments every 6 months. BTW...my truck is stock suspension, with 285's on it. Here's another one for ya while I'm feeling a lil saucy.....Why will I tell all my friends to buy a Ford for a 4wd 3/4 or 1 ton truck??? Two words. Solid Axle. I don't think the guy in his Superduty honestly cares that it doesn't ride like a caddy to the river while towing his 30+ foot boat that he barely feels behind him. He'll never deal with a broken ball joint or a clicking CV joint. He'll also never deal with alignments when he runs a 35" tire. Why does ORU sell out of their brackets for Solid axle swaps?? Guys like me are tired of a beefy truck with a weenie front end. GM needs to get their heads out of their asses while they still can. Stub axles and CV joints for a front driveline on a truck that can tow 10,000 GVW is just plain dumb. I'll get off my soapbox now. When GM comes out with a solid axle on their heavier trucks...it's gonna be a beautiful thing.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

1992f150

Reaction
From what ive seen of s10s it has extra problems/complications in stock form that must be overcome to make it desert friendly. First the coilbucket is part of the frame so custom stuff must be done to run resivor shock, coilover, etc... Second suspension cycles towards the cab leading to tire clearance problems. Ive heard its hard to install glass but not sure on that one. My neighbor has an s10 with fabtech, I dont know if its usually like this but he has 1" of droop the rest is compression (droop limited by rubber stop that comes with their kit) He says just driving in roads can be bad.
There was a thread on this about 2 or 3 weeks ago if you search.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

michael_loomis

Reaction
the stock S-10 geometry is terrible for long travel. I have 32's and 12" of travel with a bolt on CST kit and fiberglass fenders. a little rubbage when i turn full lock during parking but thats all . fenders were relatively easy to install. It works decent off road , and rides decent on the street , eats front tires though. and an occasional ball joint.:) i drive it way harder than it should be driven and some frame cracks have developed. oh well , thats what welders are for. i must admit , since i bought a CR250 , my truck is more of a delivery truck than a prerunner .

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Chevys just flat out SUCK!! I don't want to hear that they "have a better motor argument" as Ford builds twice as many 4.6L every year and has the same amount of complaints as Chevy. What does that tell you? That Ford builds a BETTER MOTOR! Furthermore, how many championship winning Chevy TTs do you see? NONE, cause Chevy's are crap! Nobody wants to lose with....err....build a Chevy TT when they could win/build a Ford TT! Yes Ford puts up more money for sponsorship, but that is because they know they have a better product and are proud to claim it! Plus they make more money from their sales because people are smart and buy Fords! They have a better 1/4 ton truck and MUCH better full-size truck and they always will! I don't care how many Duracrap diesels you build!!! Long Live the Blue Oval!!!!

Don't be pissed you drive a Chevy.....you bought it!!!

Blue Oval Boys

See ya in the dirt!

NOODLE

Reaction
I'm sure its probably the same on 93+ as it is on previous S-10's. If you do any serious driving, plan on keeping an extra airbox around. I have gone through 3 airbox's and blower motors on my S-10's. 1 on my 84 w/ CST longtravel and 33's. 2 on my 4x4 sonoma with custom lengthend arms and lengthend cv's with 32's. buying them new is 100+ bucks, so i would recomend a JunkYard.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

NOODLE

Reaction
I was unaware of when this became a chevy bashing forum. I used to be strictly a GM guy but I began to see Ford(FU#$ING OAKIES REALLY DIGUM)has some good products. I would still probably not run out and buy one but i have grown to accept them and appreciate some of them. I do wonder why JrSyko why so many FORD prerunners you see, had and still have chevy motors(i wonder if reliability is a factor?) anyways i'm not here to make any enemys but lay off SYKO. So all i can say to you Jrsyko is, OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERYBODIES GOT ONE, BUT YOURS STINKS.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

SJP12

Reaction
OF the trophy trucks, How many are FACTORY FORDS????????????????? .......NONE, Trophy trucks are bulit by Fab Shop/Rac teams, NOT FORD, GM or any other Detroit manufacturer. Yes i'm a CHEVY guy 110% and i do drive an S-10. I guess my point is it all comes down to money and an idea
CHEVY, TOYOTA, DODGE, NISSIAN, GMC and yes FORD Who cares??? i don't

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Name some of the ford prerunners that have chevy motors? and then name chevy prerunners using ford parts!

Kris