Choice of Tires

1992f150

Reaction
When people talk about tires they seem to usually only consider low speed traction (ie will they keep me from getting stuck) and how much they resist a rock from making a hole in the sidewall.
So what about high speed handling? It seems to me most of the expensive race tires have a fairly mild tread pattern, but other trucks I see use aggressive tires like wrangler mtrs, and bfg m/ts. So what are the pros and cons of each style? I realize some of these tires don't work well/at all on the street.
Secondly, how much difference does tire PSI make? What is a good pressure to run for general desert running? How does PSI affect getting flats? If I run over a sharp rock at 35 psi, and again at 15 psi, which pressure is most likely to give me a flat tire?
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

Dillon

Reaction
>>>Secondly, how much difference does tire PSI make? What is a good pressure to run for general desert running?<<<

It makes a difference in the ride. Go out and inflate your tires to 35 PSI and drive around town and hit some speed bumps. It'll be really stiff. Now deflate them to 20 PSI and drive around and do the same thing, the ride will be alot more cushioned (word? lol). Now translate that to offroad and you get a softer ride but in addition to a softer ride, you are getting more traction based on the flex of the tire (turns, more tread touchs the dirt, especially important in sand) and the fact that the tire is actually sitting more flat then with more pressure.

>>>How does PSI affect getting flats? If I run over a sharp rock at 35 psi, and again at 15 psi, which pressure is most likely to give me a flat tire?<<<

PSI is pressure in the tire, fill up a balloon all the way up and its easy to pop right? Now fill up a balloon halfway, and try and pop it, the skin of the balloon will give alot more before it pops. Same thing with tires, you run over a rock a jagged rock at speed with low pressure, you still might pop a tire, but not as likely as with a full tire. So to answer your question, the higher presure will pop before the low pressure. I run between 15-20 PSI in the dirt (depending if there is sand in the area) and run about 7-10 in the sand.

1992f150

Reaction
i realize the ride is softer but what is a good psi to run? Too low it would seem youd have poor handling, and run the risk of losing a bead or damaging the wheel...

Dillon

Reaction
Thats exactly why people keep air in the tires, its really something you have to get teh feel for and test them out, all tires will perform differently and it can depend on tire size, rim size, rim width or a combination of all the above. If you want to play it safe in the dirt, go down to 20, your ride won't be bad and you'll keep your bead unless somthing drastic happens. Again, just experiment with it.

tedmales

Reaction
it depends on the rim, 16.5 rims do not have the safety bead on them to help hold the bead. if you run one low, it comes right off the bead. it also depends on the width of the rim and tire. i only run about 16psi in my boggers. and they are 16.5, but thats what they are meant to have in them. somewhere between 20 and 25 psi sounds good as a start. watch the wear and adjust the pressure to compensate. good luck

drtdevil93

Reaction
bfg says 30-35 for the baja ta. i used to run at 20 psi in the dirt, but popped 3 bajas. now i run at 35 psi, and havent had a problem since (2 barstow races). the higher pressure is needed because when the tire gets compressed without enough pressure, you pinch the sidewall, and all you need is a little rock and your tire is done.

erik

Timberwlf

Reaction
On my ranger I run 33x12.5x15s Goodyear Wranglers at 15-18 psi and in 2+ years running out at barstow and lucern i haveent had a flat yet (knock on wood) The wrangler sidewalls are AWESOME they have plenty of cuts but none have gone through yet.

Later
Brandon

michael_loomis

Reaction
anywhere from 25 to 35 psi is good for the dez and the street. running tires to low on the pavement can effect ride quality on the street in a bad way .... ive noticed that under 25psi my truck hops more on the freeway than at 30-35psi , i'd rather let my suspension do the dampening than my tires .

JasonHutter

Reaction
I know I have posted this picture up here for other reason's and most have seen it already, but this will show you how far a tire will bulge under extreme bottoming. Mind you, this tire was a little low, something like 20psi or something. We normally run 30-32 psi depending on how rocky the course is.

Jason

In_the_works

Reaction
I'm curious about running two different tread patterns on front and rear. In sandier situations (not dunes), might it be better to run a more aggresive tread pattern in the rear, and a less aggressive in front? And on that topic, why are the BFG projects so popular with TTs? They dont seem to have much in the way of side lugs for traction, or a very grippy tread.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
THEY LAST... and you cant beat their support

Project1500

Reaction
I run 35x12.50 r16.5 BFG Muds on a 16.5x8.25 wheel on a fullsize truck
Street 32PSI
Desert 17-20PSI
Glamis 11-15PSI
Never had a problem with blowing a tire or blowing a bead but the tires dig to much in the sand.

Im swapping to 16x8's soon.

For the TT's running the non aggresive BFG bajas its because they dont want to dig to China with all that HP.