On Topic Class 1 budget or build another utv?

Shaneredline

Reaction
We have been racing Turbo UTV's. Had Lone Star build us a 2 seater length UTV, which is a damn good car, about $100k. Raced the 500, and 5 BITD races this year, and racing the 1000 this year.

My question-$150k budget for another car, do we build a long wheelbase UTV for say $100k new?

Or step up and buy a used Class 1?

I understand probably a lot of driver preference and yes we are still new to the sport. But we are going to build or buy one or the other.

Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated. See you guys in Ensenada.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

ErikIrvine

Reaction
My personal decision would be class 1 all day long over a UTV. But I may see things different than you, so I would suggest renting/bumming a ride in a class 1 for at least a few miles to help make a decision. When you ask your question I hear "Should I pay $500 for a box of CA legal sparklers, or should I pay $500 for a professional TJ firework man to supply top notch fireworks?", night and day difference IMO.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Reaction
Reliability is in the eyes of the beholder.

Historically, Class 1 has had high attrition, but the class attracts those that push for a little bit more, power and speed.

What are your goals?

TJ_Gambino

Reaction
Just a few factors to consider:
Number of entries in class as it relates to payout for winning.
Contingency payouts for class 1 vs UTV.
Logistics - hauling around a class 1 vs UTV.
Storage and transportation of tires and parts.
Required technology for staying competitive.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
I don't think a blanket statement of "Class 1 is more reliable than a UTV" could be made. The link to the ex mcillin car, with a experienced or conservative driver would be reliable IMO. I don't have any experience with UTVs other than passing them like they are standing still.

BarrelRoll

Reaction
Prep for a class 1 will be more than a golf cart depending on what you do for prep. I've spent plenty of time prepping a RZR and little time prepping a 10 car and a trophy truck. While it isn't cheap to prep a rzr I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper than a 1 car.

Things that come to mind for prep utv vs class 1

4 shocks vs. 8
Polaris transaxle vs. class 1 transaxle
30 or 32" tires and 15" wheels vs. 37 or 40" tires and 17" wheels
Polaris 2 Cylinder Motor vs. Class 1 LS motor
Maybe 6 quarts of oil to prep rzr vs gallons to prep a 1 car
4 CV Axles and a front drive shaft vs. 2 Huge CV axles
10mm and 12mm suspension bolts vs. 5/8" or bigger bolts
Bolt on suspension kits vs. custom fabricated arms

Those are just a couple things that come to mind.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
I am not a racer, but wouldn't a class 10 be good middle ground between UTV and class 1? Not a mechanic either just a rescue guy that sees a lot of dirt racing. What would be cost and set up of a 10 car compared to class 1. I do know entries are good and competition is good with Class 10.

Baja Dad

Reaction
I have a Class 1 Truggie for sale
it is fully prepped and ready to rip
410 all Aluminum Dart small block with dry sump
AFR heads
Lee steering pump and rams
King coil over
All new Body work
TOP of the line everything
Lots of extras $70.000
send me a PM I can send pics

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I wonder what a winning engine in class 1 cost, I know what TT engines cost and they’re good for about 1500ish miles. I think that would maybe be a big difference for you but not sure.

RedRide

Reaction
Your 150k class 1 would be fun, but not competitive. I do however think you could be competitive in class 10 for 150k. Also, the good class 10 drivers finish ahead of many class 1 drivers, so the speed can be comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Zambo

Reaction
Its ridiculous that a UTV would cost 100k much less 150k. Hell its ridiculous that one would cost 50k. But that is because rather than mandate that they be left mostly stock, organizations open them up to damn near anything. Of course, a couple years later that 150k car is pretty much obsolete. How many 3-4 year old UTVs are still competitive at the highest level?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Have Raceco USA build you a world beater Class 10. Way cheaper to build and run than class 1. Pump gas baby!

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
This baby seems pretty nice.
ID Designs Class 10
Zero miles and Alan is a standup kinda guy. Carbon fiber body. It’s hard to imagine a car this nice for 70k.

Last edited:

Zac Reish

Reaction
Class 1 all the way. If you want to keep the prep cost closer to ITV then class 10 is the way to go.
I’ve never driven a class 1 but I’ve driven some of the best class 10’s in the sport and they are frighteningly capable vehicles.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Reliability....I think if you want to drive hard and push the car:
UTV<Class 10=Class 1 (This really depends upon prep, knowledge and resources)

Cost:
UTV<Class 10<Class 1

Size of equipment...spares, trailers, storage, hoses, fitting, etc:
UTV<Class 10<Class 1

Fun Factor on Race Day:
UTV<Class 10<Class 1