Class 1 fire @ Primm

Chongo

Reaction
Any word on what happened to car 101 We heard everyone was ok just curios to how it happened. Big loss but glad to see the driver and co driver are ok.

bpthirteen

Reaction
Third HMS car up in flames???

Attachments

• Boyle fire.jpg
    Boyle fire.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 2,598

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
I'm sure someone from their crew will post on it after they recover the car and recover from the shock of what happened... I feel so awful for them about it - can't imagine how they feel...

I would like to take a moment here to thank my crew who let me send them up there with their rhino loaded with fire extinguishers to go help 101 out. It was just around the small hill from us (couple miles on the course) and we could see the smoke. A couple minutes later, two more of my crew found a shovel and set off on foot to go help them and en route, a lightning strike had occurred and started another fire, which they diverted over to and put out throwing and shoveling dirt for quite a while, and also using what water they had with them to put it out. I truly can't thank my friends enough for not giving it a thought to get out there and tirelessly work to get Richard's car out, as well as the lightning strike fire... You are all top notch and I am very, very proud to have you as friends :D

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Third HMS car up in flames???

It looked worse in the desert. Sorry we could not save more. Used alot of extinguishers and alot of dirt. Sorry for the loss. Sucks to end a day that way. Jaime I have 2 of your extinguishers. Your crew was awesome, thanks for the help. You rock as always.

jsallenbach

Reaction
From what kory told me is that they flipped and it cought fire, at least every one is okay.

Baja Fool

Reaction
Here are some photos I took the a.m.

One of the guys there said they suspected the fuel vent line as the cause.

TG no one was hurt.

Attachments

• P9130147.jpg
    P9130147.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 2,373
  • P9130148.jpg
    P9130148.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 2,210
  • P9130149.jpg
    P9130149.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 2,113
  • P9130150.jpg
    P9130150.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 2,163

fathead

Reaction
Hopefully not a dumb question... But are there some stuff that is salvageable after a fire like that, I.e., the frame, shocks, wheels etc.
Total bummer and sorry for the loss, but like others have said, thank god the guys were ok...

McNeilRacing

Reaction
sorry 2 here that Guys , Allways makes e sick 2 her about sum buggy or car , on fire we spend all our money , n savings 2 race n then we loose it in a blink of an eye, least u guys walked away

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Hopefully not a dumb question... But are there some stuff that is salvageable after a fire like that, I.e., the frame, shocks, wheels etc.
Total bummer and sorry for the loss, but like others have said, thank god the guys were ok...

The crew really wanted us to save the front end at least. We did our best. I do believe we saved the front. The King shocks and towers are salvageable from what I could see.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
wow, those pics look really bad, really glad the drivers are safe...no equipment is worth any life.

Any idea if the chasis is salvagable? (sp?)

mikewaller

Reaction
this is the 3rd or 4th hms car that has gone up in flames. is there a design flaw in it? what the heck is going on. you dont see any other truck car buggy or offroad vehicle that has had this amount of problems in such a short span of time.

bfiguy

Reaction
Here are some from the recovery last night. Sure glad we could get wheels on the rear...

Attachments

• IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,048

Martin

Reaction
I was a 100 yards behind Richard and was smelling fuel thought it was our car. Richard pulled over a mile or so later I didn't see fire when we went by lots of dust thought he had a flat. Then I heard from our helicopter the car was burning. Sorry to see this happen to anyone but so glad Richard and his co rider are ok.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
this is the 3rd or 4th hms car that has gone up in flames. is there a design flaw in it? what the heck is going on. you dont see any other truck car buggy or offroad vehicle that has had this amount of problems in such a short span of time.

Was the RedBull car that TP drove and went up in flames an HMS car?

bcampbell04

Resident Almost Know-it-all
Reaction
this was a sad sight to witness yesterday. i was part of the checkpoint crew at mile 25/53 that left to try to put out the fire. when we got there, we did everything we could to slow the fire down, but there was no stopping it with what we had. thankfully both Richard and his co-rider were ok.

JoeyD23

Reaction
what a bummer..........

I was told that when metal gets that hot that it is more likely to become brittle and that would make the chassis un useable???? Curious if thats true or not and if they can atleast re build on the same chassis?

Maybe another dumb question but you can and do insure these vehicles right?

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Might be cheaper to pick up a class 1 from the classifieds, the inland truss car is still in there for 130K