CLASS 1 Old Days ????

scott

Reaction
Since were in the day and ages of Class 1's overall'ing ( 4 wheel ) in the last 2 Baja 500's, and Pro-Trucks winning TT division with modifications........ The Question I have to you is..........
Do you think it should be like the early 90's and before where TT's and Class 1's all ran together??? Or do you think it should be the sameway it is now ????

scott

Reaction
Kinda like a run what you brung unlimited car in one big Class 1 group ????

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Absolutely not. Keep them the way they are.

Racers Only

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Right now you pretty much have a Trophy Truck running in Class 1 without the fenders.Class wins are great but I believe most people that race TT or Class 1 are shooting for the overall win so what's the difference if they are together or not.

BEERMAN

WRC

Reaction
What Steve said!

The over-all is the prize that seems to be the most sot after and the different classes seem to be running the same time so why not run them as one class. It would make for better competition in the sense of a larger field. Could be very interesting. JMO

Sean</font color=red>

WRC

Reaction
Oh, and by the way. Scott, Thanks for the private screening of all that video footage. Hours of helo shots and enough in-car to get you sick! Seriously some of the best off road footage I have ever seen, great stuff! Hopefully we can hook up again soon so I can check out the other three hours! Thanks again.

Sean</font color=red>

bpthirteen

Reaction
Keep them separate. There needs to be a class like Trophy Truck for marketing purposes. Trophy Trucks need to have their own winners and their own championship. Trophy Trucks generate interest in off-road racing.

www.prepbyjake.com

martininsocal

Reaction
Marketing purposes? what marketing? without TV, there is no marketing. The Trophy Truck only philosophy was tried and didn't work. Reason? Not enough Trophy Trucks to make a tv deal work and keep the viewers tuned in. 13 trucks start a race and in the end 2 or 3 are vying for the win...not very suspenseful and the market share showed this. Why were there so few Trophy Trucks? Cost! 500k to 750k is what it was taking back then to develop and field a competetive effort. Sponsor dollars could be spent with much more value in other classes and other forms of racing. I think Protruck has a better chance of making TV a reality because there is a level playing field and costs are somewhat lower. it is an already successful formula applied to offroad and hopefully it will take off. Look at JeepSpeed, low costs, fun racing, identity friendly, and 30 cars already, without major sponsor or factory support.
If the ywant to run for the overall, put them all in one class, Why should the Trophy Trucks get first on the road?

If your gonna go, go BIG

bpthirteen

Reaction
People want to see Trophy Trucks, not 7S, 9, or 11. We race in 7S and we know the general public doesn't want to watch us on TV. Why would you want to shut down Trophy Truck right when more trucks are showing up.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

scott

Reaction
Very well said Martin !!!!!! Look at the Ivan Stewart thing with Pro-Truck... BFG taking care of him for years, then gets a big payday from Goodyear to run stock showroom tires, for what??? To NOT show the people on TV that stock tires can run Baja.... Thats Great marketing !!!! Bottom line is with spec racing, and knowing there's better equipment out there to use, your going to get some cheating involved ..... and if your not cheating your not trying !!!!!!!! I still stand by NASCAR... as far as marketing. They are doing it right, being on TV everyweek, landing big corporate sponsors, which equals more exposure !!!!!!!! To do all that though, you need a sanctioning body that is willing to do it....

martininsocal

Reaction
bpthirteen-no one said shut down trophy trucks, but why give them the special attention? isn't the herbst trugy every bit as bitchin as the trophy truck? my kids will watch the truggy every bit as much and more as any trophy truck out there. and remember where trophy trucks came from? they started out in class 1 and were given their own class because the sponsors didn't want to have to compete for overall with those little dune buggy things!

If your gonna go, go BIG

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
A lot of guys in class 1 want the truggies out of that class now too, and just let rear/mid engine cars like jimco's and chenoweths (SP?) run as class ones. after all, truggies are basically TT's with out fenders. So no, do not put them in a class together, keep them separate, but have enough in each class to stay competitive.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
RE "I still stand by NASCAR... as far as marketing. They are doing it right, being on TV everyweek, landing big corporate sponsors, which equals more exposure !!!!!!!! To do all that though, you need a sanctioning body that is willing to do it...."

Scott - I don't know if this is a good comparison. It's the whole "apples to oranges" thing. NASCAR is successful because they can generate $ in the form of spectators...that's how they can pay for all their megamillinos in marketing.

Keep the classes separate. The TT's are growing little by little and are always exciting to watch. The one cars are great to watch too and sometimes beat out the trucks for the O/A. If the all the truggies abide by the class one rules...let them play too!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

martininsocal

Reaction
waldo- nascar does not make millions off the spectators, they make money off tv contracts and sponsorship deals for the series and individual races. the gate typically goes to the track owner and to cover the costs of the event(paramedics, bathrooms, food, toilet paper, security, grounds keeping, tow trucks, etc...) remember when there was talk about how much it would cost to rent fontana for a day? that was facility rental. these places cost a lot to run, hell, they even cost a lot to sit idle with property taxes, etc... most large tracks only host 1-4 big events a year, so the track owner needs to recoup his operating costs then, nascar doesn't get any of it. NASCAR is a sanctioning body with a great product to sell. people buy the rights to show it on television and use that show to sell products to veiwers dsuring commercials. that is where NASCAR gets the real bucks. it is just like the NFL- how much do they get paid to broadcast the Superbowl? and how much does a company then pay the TV company to advertise during the game? Each team in the NFL gets a percentage of the TV contract package and that is worth millions. The stadiums cost millions to build. the team owners aren't rich because they own a football team, most are losing money on the team, but what a hell of a tax right off for a rich person! they make money off TV.

If your gonna go, go BIG

scott

Reaction
That is point!!! Class 1 is turning into Truggies(aka fenderless TT), and everyone wants one, if they have the funds, and Pro-Trucks are putting in Big Motors, running 35" Project T/A's, and whatever they do to tweek the suspension.... Why Not run one big Class 1 field ???? A so called Overall field....

As Far as NASCAR, Big Corporations run that.... Yeah, Spectators do contibute, but the business likes of Home Depot, Lowes, Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Dupont, Valvoline, UPS, Napa, Cingular, Havoline, GM, Motorcraft.....should I go on.... With Millions of Dollars of advertising on the sides of the car, and the driver in the winner's circle spewing out these names I bet the spectators don't equate to 1/4 of what the Big sponsors do as a whole for the year.... TV sells....

hammer

Reaction
No matter how much anybody might want Class 1 and the TT's to join back into one class, it will never happen. For SCORE and BITD this is how they bring in their big sponsors, like Ford, Optima, etc.. TT's are there bread winners. THis is the problem we are facing right now in the BITD Nevada 1000, the TT's are stating first every day no matter where a class 1 car finishes the day before. Which sucks for us, as a class 1 team, because of the fact that you had to spend the day before driving through that field to pass the trucks and for all your hard work you get to do it again the next day.

Not to take anything away from any TT drivers or teams. There are many fast teams out their. I am just giving my opinion on the situation.

Combing the classes together or leaving them apart it doesn't matter, we are racing for one thing and one thing only, THE OVERALL.

choppekx

Reaction
Maybe use pro-dirt rules for class one or something of that nature. I think they have rules against the truggies, maybee has to be independent rear end and light weight, I am not absolutly sure. Everything else can be unlimited.

Chris

WRC

Reaction
This conversation is as old or older than this board (and the old one too). And I’m glad Scott brought it up again because it is perhaps the most important issue concerning off road racing and its future, or lack of, today.
Step back and look at the sport as just that, a sport. Not what class you race, like the most, pit for, ect. As a sport, it’s hurting big time, and has been for some time. That being said, its still great to be involved in. And if that is good enough for you, then so be it. But if your not a racer or involved with a race team in some way like myself, well it can be a very hard sport to stay interested in for many of the reasons all ready stated, mainly lack of TV coverage.
So what will fix it? The combining of classes is a start. Look at the situation like this. When you watch any of the real popular motor sports on TV, what are you watching? A show dedicated to 1 type of racing with all the competitors racing against each other. F1, C.A.R.T, IRL, NASCAR, WRC
. All of the top money makers and most watched on TV (one in the same) share this one thing in common. I will stop there so as not to be redundant of other post before this one. If there is a problem, and I think there is, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Less sanctioning bodies with the same race classes. In other words, there needs to be ONE “Big Show” for the top off road racers in the world….. the masses will then be interested. JMO

Sean</font color=red>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Martin - I agree with and understand what you say...I was speaking very generally. NASCAR WC couldn't have what they have without an audience weather they are at the track or on TV. Also, they have one class of racing. Which I don't know makes a big difference. Look at NHRA, they have many different classes and they have been successful for quite some time.

What came first...the spectators, the major sponsors, or the TV deals???

BRAAAAAAAAP!