Class 1 where’s it going?

jon coleman

Actually he has a good point kinda, look at at the 1000 this year. 12 teams started and only 3 finished!!! All you had to do was finish and you had a 33% chance at the win lol
naaaa, if i had a choice,it would be cls 11 , better % on a win.ps ive heard that rational ^about a Full , Tuff field of fast car& driver, back in my scca days,( racer 1 question in the paddoc),'what happened to joe shmoe?, he was fun to race against, ( racer 2 answer)' he moved to E production cls, not as many cars to beat him, says its a faster cls.&easier to podium,' sounds logical....

Last edited:

J Prich

I personally don’t care about how CL1s compare to TTs, etc. I just think races are better when their is a solid Class 1 contingent and if a handful of these guys get back in to some 1 cars in 2020, that’s a win in my boat.

Josh bringing out Shelia for Rage is already bonerific as far as I’m concerned! You get a handful of solid dudes battling it out in 1 cars and it’s good for everyone.

Robin Hood

Actually he has a good point kinda, look at at the 1000 this year. 12 teams started and only 3 finished!!! All you had to do was finish and you had a 33% chance at the win lol
Even you know better...Just because class one has a high attrition rate doesn't support his statement as to why people race the class.

MTPyle

Haha, yes I can take it. And your right I am the new guy at least for a little while longer.

I don’t know why class 1 guys race that class. I just was throwing out a theory.

the demographic and they don’t know any better was a sarcastic remark. Any chance to make fun of the buggy dorks. Hehe.

What’s your theory on why they race class 1? It sure seems to be a uphill battle with that class

And like fish pointed out you don’t have to be great to podium in class 1, sometimes you just have to finish. In TT and TTspec you have to have a damn good day and be pretty fast to podium.

I don’t know many class 1 guys to be honest. I have spent some time talking to James Dean and he is a stud, super cool guy. But he is still a buggy dork. Hehe. But I think he is a pretty proud buggy dork, and should be.

Mike

fishd00d

What A Joke
I know a few Buggy Dorks and they love being that. I will agree that its a different type racer to want to pound your skid plate into the ground and kick side to side and buck through the whoops while holding on to anything you got. But good for them! Its fun to watch! lol

D10R10717

Hey fish have you driven a class one or a spec tt? You need to. My 21 year old class one is much more fun to drive then a brand new spec truck.... And thats why we race right, because its F U N lol. If Score would let the Class 1 guys qualify with TT its very possible that a 1 car could overall a race, half the field of TT drivers are ( Hobbyists ) and are road blocks hahahaha

OFFRD-JNKIE

MTPyle while you question the buggy dorks more than a couple of the best drivers in TT's started in buggys. I'm just a dumb crew guy that's been around the sport for a couple years and if I was going to go offroad racing I'd start in a 1600 buggy before I even thought about getting in a big TT or Spec.

MTPyle

JNKIE
Ya that’s because if you can drive a buggy fast you can drive anything fast. Haha. So of course some the best TT guys started in buggies. Buggies are out of control. They look like they are going to crash every turn. Fun to watch though.

Mike

OFFRD-JNKIE

MTPyle you're fairly new to offroad so I'm not sure you've seen Josh Daniel wheel Sheila or Harley in the TT destroyer but I encourage you to take the time to watch the CL1s this weekend!

jon coleman

i can still remember my first off road car , 64 baja bug, more of a never ending cash magnet, but driving it was Way more fun overall than any of my other dream rides, like surfing, the board u ride is a personal preference, class one just needs a big$ guy to try some out of the box ideas, ive got a ton of'em;)

Robin Hood

Haha, yes I can take it. And your right I am the new guy at least for a little while longer.

I don’t know why class 1 guys race that class. I just was throwing out a theory.

the demographic and they don’t know any better was a sarcastic remark. Any chance to make fun of the buggy dorks. Hehe.

What’s your theory on why they race class 1? It sure seems to be a uphill battle with that class

And like fish pointed out you don’t have to be great to podium in class 1, sometimes you just have to finish. In TT and TTspec you have to have a damn good day and be pretty fast to podium.

I don’t know many class 1 guys to be honest. I have spent some time talking to James Dean and he is a stud, super cool guy. But he is still a buggy dork. Hehe. But I think he is a pretty proud buggy dork, and should be.

Mike

Thanks for taking the jab and being a sport about it! I personally enjoy your stories and appreciate your contribution to RDC, not bad for a nube ;)

Class one has a lot of history. I think several of you are forgetting the history and how it got to where it is today with these oversimplified thoughts. I wish I had more time and intellect to put it all down on paper, but just like my race program I'm going to have to let it take a back seat.

Cheers to all the guys that get so worked up over a forum:eek:

Bro_Gill

When teams class 1 teams spend consistently like TT teams, things will be different. Until then, the couple 3 teams in class 1 that do spend like that will continue to dominate. Starting behind ALL the TTs does not help them. The rule than banned solid rear axles in class 1 also didn't help.

RYAN COHEE

When teams class 1 teams spend consistently like TT teams, things will be different. Until then, the couple 3 teams in class 1 that do spend like that will continue to dominate. Starting behind ALL the TTs does not help them. The rule than banned solid rear axles in class 1 also didn't help.
Everyone forgets when Damen Jefferies took a rear start about 6 years ago in class one and passed the stacked field of other class one cars. Then passed close to 20 TT'S and finished like 5-6th overall. Baja 500 might have been 7 years ago dealing with the dust of the TT class and not to mention they don't just move over

9rocky

Trucks and UTV's are all that is cool and all that should be allowed to race. All buggies should immediately be destroyed and sold for scrap metal because they are not cool. (said with overwhelming sarcasm and tongue firmly planted in cheek)😁

klaus

Administrator
To me the problem is comparing two classes.

Beating everyone inside your class is an amazing accomplishment yet many just see the overall fame. We at RDC are guilty at contributing to that mindset. We celebrate the overall winner more than any other class. Those are Trick/Trophy Trucks while there are 30 other races going on within that big race. It's human nature to get acknowledged and celebrated...so of course everyone wants to be the big Baja 1000 overall winner.

I myself fell in love with class1 when they started to use LS engines 10-ish years ago. Suddenly speeds went up. They sounded crisp and as a fan I didn't see them as sand buggies anymore but as serious race cars.

Moving forward RDC will commit to showcasing the "None 1%er" type classes more.

9rocky

To me the problem is comparing two classes.

Beating everyone inside your class is an amazing accomplishment yet many just see the overall fame. We at RDC are guilty at contributing to that mindset. We celebrate the overall winner more than any other class. Those are Trick/Trophy Trucks while there are 30 other races going on within that big race. It's human nature to get acknowledged and celebrated...so of course everyone wants to be the big Baja 1000 overall winner.

I myself fell in love with class1 when they started to use LS engines 10-ish years ago. Suddenly speeds went up. They sounded crisp and as a fan I didn't see them as sand buggies anymore but as serious race cars.

Moving forward RDC will commit to showcasing the "None 1%er" type classes more.
A round of applause for @Klaus please.