class 10 engine recondmendations

captian_t

Reaction
Im looking to install a water` cooled engine to a built 091, and just wanted to get some opinions on motor choices. was kinda thinking a honda vtec / needs to conform to score specs. 1750 cc 16 valve. also any info on ECM, and bell housing adapter/ clutch problems i might have. any help would be greatly appreciated

J.JOHNSON

Reaction
The 091 will never last in a class 10. You will need a fortin, albins, mendiola.
091 cannot handle any horse power.

puravida

Reaction
The 091 will never last in a class 10. You will need a fortin, albins, mendiola.
091 cannot handle any horse power.
Whats your thoughts of a MD5 with oil sprayers and oil cooler installed. Did Higman have issues using the MD5 with a Honda?

Robin Hood

Reaction
Im looking to install a water` cooled engine to a built 091, and just wanted to get some opinions on motor choices. was kinda thinking a honda vtec / needs to conform to score specs. 1750 cc 16 valve. also any info on ECM, and bell housing adapter/ clutch problems i might have. any help would be greatly appreciated
Get a good ole VW Rabbit Motor and you will be fine. Anything with more power or RPM and your transmission bills will cost more than you car is worth. Been there done that.

J.JOHNSON

Reaction
Whats your thoughts of a MD5 with oil sprayers and oil cooler installed. Did Higman have issues using the MD5 with a Honda?
Yes we did. we could go 45 miles before we would break 3rd gear and then at 135 miles we would break the ring and pinion and crack the case. did this twice before switching trans. manufacturer.
Just a minor problem. lol.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Get a good ole VW Rabbit Motor and you will be fine. Anything with more power or RPM and your transmission bills will cost more than you car is worth. Been there done that.
Yea I pretty much go along with that. 091 will work with 200 HP but it takes a lot of $ in upkeep. My 091 is good for a couple of races and then it needs love. I have a type IV motor and if I had it to do all over again I'd have went with a Mendi or Fortin or something....

RAMCOFAB

Reaction
i had 5 speed fortin and a fat toyota the best motor i ever race with it could keep up with the hondas and very reliable 8 races straight and didnt gave up

fullthrottle

Reaction
i had 5 speed fortin and a fat toyota the best motor i ever race with it could keep up with the hondas and very reliable 8 races straight and didnt gave up
How has the Fortin been and is it a dogring or sequential, any problems? How often do you have it serviced?

RAMCOFAB

Reaction
great never had a problem just once the gears got stuck on 2nd but that was all you could use it w/or with out clutch no problem.

indefab

Reaction
a little 1.8l subie engine could be pretty sweet...low C.O.G, screw the transaxle just run a fwd trans without the jackshaft.::confused:

ACME

Reaction
We were VW fans for our light SS 10 car. The most impressive motor to me in class 10, $'s no object: CJ's Kroyer Honda. 1 word description: "FAST!"

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
We have a ten car Honda engine package!! It is awesome. Cory kesar runs one in his class 10 car currently. It's an awesome package and have had a couple guys say it's the best engine they have seen in a 10 car.

VeryFast

Reaction
We can provide you a nice Honda or Toyota 4 cyl for your application. If your prerunning, your 091 will work, if your racing your 091 won't. Furthermore, if your prerunning/playing and want to keep with your 091, go with a VW or Subi. Costs are less and torque is abundant at much lower RPM's.
www.pfaffengines.com

eseloco

Reaction
the 20 valve 4ag toyotas are badass.....if i was building a 10 car, i would start with that.