• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 10 is the most "unlimited" limited class

michael.gonzalez

So I was looking at all the rulebooks for Class 10 (BITD, SNORE, MORE, SCORE).
Nearly all of them have only one area of limitation... engine. NOTHING ELSE.
There are NO OTHER LIMITATIONS other than the implied "open-wheel" nature of the vehicle.
6200 and 6100 have FAR more limitations besides those limitations already dealing with the engine.

We saw at RATR that Class 10 2nd overalled the race.
2ND OVERALL. I know this is a short-course race and all but that speaks volumes to the potential of Class 10 (at least to me).
I think most of this can be owed to the fact that racers/builders need to worry about only one thing while building... making sure they put an approved engine in the vehicle.

Couldn't a TL/6000 remove their body panels and race in Class 10?
Why aren't there any front engine class 10's with solid axles?
Why aren't there any front engine class 10's with IRS?

More importantly, Why do class 10 tends to be so similar to each other when there are nearly NO restrictions?

Mind you, I've never raced in Class 10, owned one, or even know anyone who can give me a ride in one. So try not to bite my head off with this thread/post. I just feel there is so much to be explored in this class in terms of innovation and out of the box thinking.

Bro_Gill

Th only reason Class 10 beat the 1s was because of the rock that finally got uncovered heading into the third lap of Saturdays Unlimited class race. Most know that rock. Bottom of the hill heading into the left hand turn. It was covered until the middle of the unlimited class race then, POP! pop. Poppop... POP! So many cars came into the hot pits on Lap 3 with flats that it totally changed the outcome of the race. I think from the #5 on the road car back. Some with double flats. Had nothing to do with 10 being that much faster, just the way the course took its toll later in the day.

drofmij

Anyways, besides your rant about why Class 10's aren't fast....

Class 10's are fast. But why are they all so similar? Who is innovating in Class 10 right now?
Class 10 seems to be a stepping stone , so big budget teams don’t seem to stay long. Most of the guys I know in the class are limited budget. Takes money to innovate, and the class is pretty well dialed in right now. The pace has changed so much in the past few years. No way a solid axle truck could compete.

michael.gonzalez

If unlimited TT's beat unlimited buggies,
Wouldn't it make sense that a truck with a ecotec would beat a buggy with an ecotec?

BajaFand

I believe a solid axle on the back of a light as possible 10 car would be a horrible idea. Not only would it be a boat anchor and add an enormous amount of weight compared to the other cars, it would be very difficult to tune.

In the mid-2000’s the Hunter team went way outside the box of class 10 and built a very different single seat A-arm rear mid engine car made of exotic materials like Ti before anyone else in the desert was doing it. I think they only raced LDC and Parker with it before they completely pulled out of racing. Haven’t seen that car since.

Bro_Gill

If unlimited TT's beat unlimited buggies,
Wouldn't it make sense that a truck with a ecotec would beat a buggy with an ecotec?
You don't even know, but it has been tried. It failed. Straight axle 'buggies' that have tried can't get within 500 pounds of a real buggy in the class, and that is HUGE when you are talking about maybe 200hp max. In any limited class, weight is your enemy.

Zac Reish

Are you saying that this would be an example of a live axel ecotec car that can compete with class 5 and 10?

baja619

Th only reason Class 10 beat the 1s was because of the rock that finally got uncovered heading into the third lap of Saturdays Unlimited class race. Most know that rock. ....Some with double flats. Had nothing to do with 10 being that much faster, just the way the course took its toll later in the day.

For the record Brock Heger (I know he is not human) placed 2nd overall in a class 10 last year, I believe.

TPayne

A live axle class 10 would never be competitive, too heavy and drivetrain sucks too much power. Our TL weighs 3800lbs ready to race with 135HP to the ground.

michael.gonzalez

Trophy truck spec is pretty unlimited for a limited class.
Nowadays that’s true since it opened up to 40s and underdrives. Still mandates solid axle though.

what makes trophy lites so heavy? Is it the spec chassis? 3800lbs as opposed to an alumni craft class 10 at 2200lbs is a big difference to be attributed from a change to solid axle. Other class 10 buggies can weigh high 2000s/low 3000s I suppose but not many are 3800lbs to my knowledge.

A solid axle shouldn’t rob too much power and with a nice manual trans, I don’t see anymore losses than a transaxle.

Or if you want to avoid the solid axle all
together, you could do a front engine IRS even.
Has of a front engine IRS class 10 been built? Reminds me of that street legal Buckshot buggy that’s been around recently.