• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 10 only

Class10DAN

So I guess I'm going to hop on the bandwagon for these specific class threads that I've seen here and there... So Post pictures, Stories, Rants, Seek help or whatever it is people do these days

Last edited:

SN8KE

We are a start up class 10 team that very much appreciates class 10 discussions on RDC. Does not look like a lot of action in the Class 10 forum page unfortunately. Class 5 sure seems active in the Desert Racing forum. Should class 10 follow class 5 or post in the specific Class 10 forum?

Class10DAN

its your call... i made this yesterday so its really up to you. i would like to see the class 10 forum grow..

ErikIrvine

Post on here, C10 forum is dead...

On that note, is 2.5L a dead issue these days or will we have to convert one of these days?

SN8KE

I have had to research this recently as I'm entering into a new build and did not want to go down the wrong road. This is what I know...currently no racing organization is changing to the 2.5l in 2020. The issue of the 2.4l availability is acknowledged by the organizations; however, the current availability of motor components is not keeping anyone from building or rebuilding motors so there is not a huge urgency in implementing this change. Has it increased cost? - ya betcha but there is no solution that does not involve increased costs. Certain folks are pushing for the 2.5's but a bigger group are pushing against it. I suspect there will be a change in the future but there is no guarantee that the solution is the 2.5l's as they will eventually have the same production issues.

Now as the SXS's get faster and faster the class as a whole may begin to embrace this idea. That train is moving very quickly....

cwarren

A brand new 2.4 DI used to be $3,800 brand new, ready to go in the car. Its now 7-10,000 to rebuild one that has no issues. If you blow the motor up, add the cost of a remanufactured motor to that bill. If this is being done every 2,000 miles it gets expensive very quickly. The upfront costs will be expensive to switch to the 2.5 but will be much cheaper in the long run and IMO the switch needs to be made. The one affordable part of the class is now gone.

Astro

I have had to research this recently as I'm entering into a new build and did not want to go down the wrong road. This is what I know...currently no racing organization is changing to the 2.5l in 2020. The issue of the 2.4l availability is acknowledged by the organizations; however, the current availability of motor components is not keeping anyone from building or rebuilding motors so there is not a huge urgency in implementing this change. Has it increased cost? - ya betcha but there is no solution that does not involve increased costs. Certain folks are pushing for the 2.5's but a bigger group are pushing against it. I suspect there will be a change in the future but there is no guarantee that the solution is the 2.5l's as they will eventually have the same production issues.

Now as the SXS's get faster and faster the class as a whole may begin to embrace this idea. That train is moving very quickly....
If there is worry about the SXS's getting faster why not go to a bigger motor than the 2.5 when that time comes? Something in the 250-300 hp range? Now is the time to talk about what might be better than the 2.5 eco.

joshmx88

So what do you want to run when the 2.4 is no longer available? If we want to save money in class 10 lets figure out how to make the trans last longer. That's my most expensive prep item
Drive slower or spend more money on the trans up front....

ACME

Same rabbit hole as when it went H2O from AC and then they allowed Hondas and, and... Weren't the junkyard Ecotechs & basic electronics supposed to make the cost effective again???

As for the trans as in the other limited classes; when you add HP and RPM, you add $'s

Astro

Drive slower or spend more money on the trans up front....
Now I know why the class 10 forum is dead. You can't have a discussion when all you get are stupid comments. I said trans prep- doesn't that imply I'm spending the money before the race? Is there something more expensive than a Fortin that is the magic Trans?

Astro

Same rabbit hole as when it went H2O from AC and then they allowed Hondas and, and... Weren't the junkyard Ecotechs & basic electronics supposed to make the cost effective again???
So again, what is the plan when the 2.4 isn't available?

Zac Reish

Can the 2.5 eco tec crate engine still be bought brand new? I know they are cheaper used like the 2.4's used to be. There are several class 5 guys running the 2.5 with success and reliability. They don't seem to be much of an an advantage at all if any over a 2.4 di.

Ty Owings

So again, what is the plan when the 2.4 isn't available?
Mind if I ask what is wearing in the trans? You mentioned the fortin setup and I thought they were pretty decent until you rip the trailing arm off like schweers last year lol. Even then the case just cracked.

Zac Reish

Mind if I ask what is wearing in the trans? You mentioned the fortin setup and I thought they were pretty decent until you rip the trailing arm off like schweers last year lol. Even then the case just cracked.
Everything eventually wears out in a transmission. Some gears will last longer than others as they get less mileage per race. Ring and pinions wear, bearings wear, seals leak. Its all getting beat up.

Ty Owings

Everything eventually wears out in a transmission. Some gears will last longer than others as they get less mileage per race. Ring and pinions wear, bearings wear, seals leak. Its all getting beat up.
What ring and pinion do you run with the ecotecs? We've had our 091 to a NorthStar for 14 years pounding whoops and running 200-400 mile weekends without issues. We were talking to jon about the fortins and he said he had good luck with them besides the costly refreshes. On the 5's and 10's are the clutches pretty stiff? We were wanting to buy jons old red 5 car and when I hopped in I noticed the clutch pedal itself was pretty soft. Ours in our buggy right now will literally blow your foot off of it when releasing at the last 5-10% of the pedal travel. The fortins also have external coolers correct?