• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 10 only

Zac Reish

The lower the pressure the better the ride quality. The lower the tire pressure the more likely to get flat and bend rims. There’s no secret nunber

ErikIrvine

32psi

Class10DAN

The lower the pressure the better the ride quality. The lower the tire pressure the more likely to get flat and bend rims. There’s no secret number
one of them needs a Higher in there

Class10DAN

and yea zac is right, the lower the pressure the more contact the tyre will have with ground giving you more traction but can risk F-ing up your wheels, the higher the pressure the less contact you have with the ground meaning less traction but you dont run the risk of F-ing up your wheels

BUT bear in mind that as you drive the air in the tyre will heat up causing the tyre to gain PSI so its a bit of a game trying to fine tune your PSI to natures settings

Slippery P

^^^^now that’s funny right there! All these years I have been “airing down” for no reason.

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

Try it yourself. Run with 5,10, 20, and 30 psi. Straight-line acceleration in the dirt.
Of course, there is a limit. Too high is no good either. But too low can be just as bad. Testing will get you the feel you want playing with F/R contact pressures.

Tractor Tires are narrow which increases contact pressure. Similar concept.

Robin Hood

What kind of tractor tire (your are aware there is more than one kind of tractor and tractor tire). Did you mean the big round skinny one?

michael.gonzalez

Yes, the skinny ones.

Opposite of that would be a tank track or ballon-tire which has low contact pressure. Those operate on the principle of static friction mostly with little tire slip present. Offroading is often more dynamic with the tire spinning on top of the surface just a bit faster than the ground. This is where kinetic friction is important. Tire tread also plays a role but not very tunable (grooving but hardly anyone does that anymore). I suppose the 9.5-10.5 width is already helping with most of these cars increasing contact pressure so there is that.

Lower may be more comfortable but it doesn't always mean more traction.

Last edited:

jon coleman

Yes, the skinny ones.

Opposite of that would be a tank track or ballon-tire which has low contact pressure. Those operate on the principle of static friction mostly with little tire slip present. Offroading is often more dynamic with the tire spinning on top of the surface just a bit faster than the ground. This is where kinetic friction is important. Tire tread also plays a role but not very tunable (grooving but hardly anyone does that anymore). I suppose the 9.5-10.5 width is already helping with most of these cars increasing contact pressure so there is that.

Lower may be more comfortable but it doesn't always mean more traction.
to a certain extent, you dont air down a paddle tyre

swiftracing5

All I know is 40psi is not the answer. I got stuck at mile 3 in Lucerne and watched every car pass me. That was awesome.

ive gotten flats with every other psi so it comes down to not hitting rocks.

I will say the BFG 10.50 should probably be 32 minimum or else the side wall is too close to said rocks.

ErikIrvine

All I know is 40psi is not the answer. I got stuck at mile 3 in Lucerne and watched every car pass me. That was awesome.

ive gotten flats with every other psi so it comes down to not hitting rocks.

I will say the BFG 10.50 should probably be 32 minimum or else the side wall is too close to said rocks.

BEN! "I don't watch for rocks, they watch for me!"

Class10DAN

mxben

We drove some hard laps in barstow at 25 psi with good results. I've only got three hours driving time in the 10 car so I know very little.

Robin Hood

What kind of tractor tire (your are aware there is more than one kind of tractor and tractor tire). Did you mean the big round skinny one?
Yes, the big round skinny ones.
You do realize that you contradict your point by stating skinny reduces footprint, but yet they are large round which increases the footprint.

Class10DAN

all in all, my conclusion is this: its gonna be tricky to find a good tyre pressure to run (comfortably) because everyone here most likely has a 10 car and key aspects of the car like COG, Weight distribution, Center of mass, Single seat/ 2 seat. the cars gonna handle completely different if one thing is off, so i guess it would be in the driver best case to do testing with different pressures and see what they like, after all its based on opinion of how people like their car to handle, sure theres a standard but you get what i mean. Hopefully