Class 10 only

Wendell #527

Reaction
Chevy 3.6 LFX motor. Everything from Impalas to Camaros, tons of vehicles use them. Even industrial uses. Dime a dozen. Super lightweight and 340 hp stock, can be tuned to 400 hp plus. I have one in my buggy and it rocks. My buddy put one in his truck and dominated the MORE race a few months ago. It’s a V6 that’s lighter than most 4 cylinders. And it sounds bitchen.

drofmij

Reaction
Chevy 3.6 LFX motor. Everything from Impalas to Camaros, tons of vehicles use them. Even industrial uses. Dime a dozen. Super lightweight and 340 hp stock, can be tuned to 400 hp plus. I have one in my buggy and it rocks. My buddy put one in his truck and dominated the MORE race a few months ago. It’s a V6 that’s lighter than most 4 cylinders. And it sounds bitchen.

Might as well go to 6200. Transaxles don’t last with the ecotec. Go to 360-400 hp your going to need a torque converter. There is no real good answer. Keep rebuilding the 2.4? Toyota 2.5?

SMS81

Reaction
Don’t think a 10 car will hold up to 300+ hp. ICR tried in their Alumicraft and I believe it twisted the chassis, I heard from his team member that is why they built the new 6200. I think an overbuilt 10 may have a chance but that is why there is a difference between a 1 and a 10. It’s a great class with a na 2.4!

BITD_1021

Reaction
"A week doesn’t ever go by without someone wanting to change a class, create a new one or combine some together."

Then you come back with this story. What is it? You for another costly change or on the wagon to keep it the same. You can't keep adding HP to these light cars. Move to Class 1 is the answer for class 10 change. CHANGE CLASS, don't mess with something that works. 2.4L Motors available everywhere. Plenty of HP in class 10 now.
Back in 1999 when I started racing class 10 we had 1835 - Type I (duel webers 2-seat and single weber single seat) that barely put out 130 HP. Then in 2001 rules change, 2.0L Type 4 - Duel Carbs 2-seat, 1835 Type I single seat duel carbs. Motors were expensive and top-end needed valve job end of each season ($2500-$3000). If case needed split for new crank bearing figure $6000-$8000.
Then we come to 2010. Lack of 2L Type 4 Air-cool motors. Mainly the air-shroud. BITD makes the move to EcoTec. They're available and abundant today. Nov 2020 I purchase a complete crate EcoTec from a GM dealer. $3200 total with free shipping out of Texas with engine exchange. I ran the same DI 2.4L DI motor since 2011. No problems for all those years. Car got faster with the 2.4L and then other things on the car couldn't take the HP and torque. Chased those issue down and reinforced those areas.
What I'm saying is class 10 is a great class today. Affordable and running pump gas instead of 110 VP Fuel at $8-$10 a gallon. I remember paying $13 gallon for the 2008 Henderson 300. Won the race! But cost more for fuel (4 mpg - Type 4 duel carbs - $975) than the whole trip from Colorado to Nevada to race. Almost as much as the entry fee back then.
Class 10 is competitive today, let's keep it that way. Those wanting to go faster, move up like all those before to Class 1, Class 6200, 6100, Trick Truck. Class 10 is a stepping stone to the next level.

drofmij

Reaction
"A week doesn’t ever go by without someone wanting to change a class, create a new one or combine some together."

Then you come back with this story. What is it? You for another costly change or on the wagon to keep it the same. You can't keep adding HP to these light cars. Move to Class 1 is the answer for class 10 change. CHANGE CLASS, don't mess with something that works. 2.4L Motors available everywhere. Plenty of HP in class 10 now.
Back in 1999 when I started racing class 10 we had 1835 - Type I (duel webers 2-seat and single weber single seat) that barely put out 130 HP. Then in 2001 rules change, 2.0L Type 4 - Duel Carbs 2-seat, 1835 Type I single seat duel carbs. Motors were expensive and top-end needed valve job end of each season ($2500-$3000). If case needed split for new crank bearing figure $6000-$8000.
Then we come to 2010. Lack of 2L Type 4 Air-cool motors. Mainly the air-shroud. BITD makes the move to EcoTec. They're available and abundant today. Nov 2020 I purchase a complete crate EcoTec from a GM dealer. $3200 total with free shipping out of Texas with engine exchange. I ran the same DI 2.4L DI motor since 2011. No problems for all those years. Car got faster with the 2.4L and then other things on the car couldn't take the HP and torque. Chased those issue down and reinforced those areas.
What I'm saying is class 10 is a great class today. Affordable and running pump gas instead of 110 VP Fuel at $8-$10 a gallon. I remember paying $13 gallon for the 2008 Henderson 300. Won the race! But cost more for fuel (4 mpg - Type 4 duel carbs - $975) than the whole trip from Colorado to Nevada to race. Almost as much as the entry fee back then.
Class 10 is competitive today, let's keep it that way. Those wanting to go faster, move up like all those before to Class 1, Class 6200, 6100, Trick Truck. Class 10 is a stepping stone to the next level.

You know gm discontinued the 2.4 engine, you can only get remanufactured engines now. If everything is good, you can have it rebuild for 5k if it will still take stock pistons. Class 10 is great, but the days of a new crate engine for 3200 is over.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Then find a newer motor with similar hp, not one with more. newer motor might be a 2.0, might be lighter, but finding one with more hp just means all the 'old' cars will no longer be reliably competitive. Adding a converter to an already expensive trans program? What's the point of the 'cheap' motor?

Wendell #527

Reaction

You are right. There are too many class rule changes. As long as you guys can still get them then maybe you should stick with what you’re running. Class 10 is healthy and really impressive as is. My car is more of a pre runner now. It’s fun to drive with the V6 but I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it.

BITD_1021

Reaction
You know gm discontinued the 2.4 engine, you can only get remanufactured engines now. If everything is good, you can have it rebuild for 5k if it will still take stock pistons. Class 10 is great, but the days of a new crate engine for 3200 is over.
So what? They discontinued the Air-cooled Type I and Type IV motors back in the late 70s. Class 10 never ran out of air-cooled VW motors. I'd be willing to guess more 2.4L were produced and sold in the USA over the past 10 years than 20 years of VWs from 1955-1975. I never ran out of Type IV cases to buy for my 10 car from 1999-2009. No one could buy a crate Type IV motor since 1975.
Is there a problem with a remanufactured 2.4L today? Plenty available from General Motors today and less expensive than a crate motor. No need to add another motor to class 10 unless it's a comparable Ford or Chrysler motor. Doesn't BITD allow the 2.0L EcoBoost motor in class 1000?
Let's keep it the same. These cars go pretty fast right now. Keep it a drivers class with everyone playing from the same sandbox.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Holy snowball. No need to jump to v6.

The LCV 2.5L Ecotec in Colorado's was just launched in the 2019 Blazer also.
It isn't going anywhere for a few more years and will be in junkyards for even more years after that.

Viola1685

Reaction
The motors were cheap when the eco tech started. Then guys started pushing the envelope as all will in limited classes and the scarcity of the motors now have pushed those prices up. We had to replace our motor after 3 seasons mid 2020 and it was almost 8k. You can change all you want but as long as we keep running production motors that can’t be rebuilt we’re always going to run in to the what’s next talk. I agree with everyone else though the cars don’t need more hp they work leave it alone. I say open the rules and let us rebuild.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
Any one in class 10 running the S5S Mendeola transaxle ? if so how is it holding up and do you use the clutch when you shift?

GBRACER

Reaction
why not rebuild them I'm sure they can be done reliably or is it class rules that say no rebuilds??

BITD_1021

Reaction
why not rebuild them I'm sure they can be done reliably or is it class rules that say no rebuilds??
Here's the problem. These guys spending $8000 drop their car off at the performance shop for off-road, there must be 10+ in southern ca, with low oil pressure or low compression or computer problems. The shop tells them they need a new motor. Car also needs an new computer program and a dyno tune and SCORE and/or BITD seal for valve cover and oil pan. There's your $8000 spent. Engine builders can't make any money on a 2.4L motor so they built their profit into the system that runs the motor. Computer, Program, Wire harness, dyno ($800+ today), fuel regularor, and anything else they can add. Can't blame them since they're is no money to be made on the motor they can't build.

GBRACER

Reaction
did 'nt follow you explination is there a rule saying no rebuilds?
the amount of engines out in the wreckers there will be rebuildable cores for years to come ...

BITD_1021

Reaction
did 'nt follow you explination is there a rule saying no rebuilds?
the amount of engines out in the wreckers there will be rebuildable cores for years to come ...
Agreed, was actually responding to the comment above yours about expense of $8000 to replace. Fact is you have to shop around. Find the motor yourself and purchase.
Motors are plentiful. If someone needs a motor, I'll find whatever you want for a small fee. Crate, remanufactured, or low mile junk yard. Just message me.

ltr450rider

Reaction
There are lots of production cars with 2.0L Turbo engines. I would think one of those might be the best option if they can hold up for a few seasons and are relatively easy to tune. Someone would have to be the guinea pig.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I think it's going to be way too easy for people to "Squeeze" significant hp gains from a factory turbo motor. All it takes is a boost remap and you have more hp.

BITD_1021

Reaction
Who knows for fact there's a shortage of 2.4L motor that were produced from 2007-2015?

Someone tell me what they want. Crate, Remanufactured, or low mile yard sale. Plenty out there. If you want crate or Remanufactured, you'll need a trade in core. PM me.

2.4L DI produced from 2010-2017.
LUK is the only crate motor available today from GM dealers. I paid $3200 with exchange in Nov 2020. Installed motor, upgraded ecu to run the newer version. Ready to race.

How much is too much? I was paying $15k for air-cooled 2.0Ls from 2005-2011 before I made the change. 2012 the Honda 1.6L was legal in BITD. $30K motors that lasted 4-5 races if lucky.

Class 10 racers spend $8k for a motor today and $20k on sequential 5 and 6 speed trannys. Class 10 isn't a "hobby" class. If you can't afford it, go race a hobby class.

Last edited:

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
Did Bob Hannah or Danny LaPorte "talk" alot...?
That's why CLASS 10 does not either. It's HELMET ON and the business begins.

UTV = FUN KART
CLASS 10 = 125cc Two-stroke with Boyesen Reeds FMF pipe.

"Trans" = FORTIN

Viola1685

Reaction
Who knows for fact there's a shortage of 2.4L motor that were produced from 2007-2015?

Someone tell me what they want. Crate, Remanufactured, or low mile yard sale. Plenty out there. If you want crate or Remanufactured, you'll need a trade in core. PM me.

2.4L DI produced from 2010-2017.
LUK is the only crate motor available today from GM dealers. I paid $3200 with exchange in Nov 2020. Installed motor, upgraded ecu to run the newer version. Ready to race.

How much is too much? I was paying $15k for air-cooled 2.0Ls from 2005-2011 before I made the change. 2012 the Honda 1.6L was legal in BITD. $30K motors that lasted 4-5 races if lucky.

Class 10 racers spend $8k for a motor today and $20k on sequential 5 and 6 speed trannys. Class 10 isn't a "hobby" class. If you can't afford it, go race a hobby class.
I don’t think anyone is really saying much about the cost. It’s racing no matter what class it’s not cheap. Most of the worry is when or if the 2.4 supply starts to get scarce then what will the class go to. I think as long and it goes somewhere to keep the cost down so we don’t start seeing 30k motor bills or huge fabrication cost to get the new motor in would be great.