Class 10 only

Slippery P

Reaction
Here’s a question for you fellow class 10 racers. Who runs e85 and what are you seeing in differences, wear on the motor, gas mileage, power differences? Can that sane power gap be bridged by running like say vp110 or a higher octane?
E85 does make more power some where 10-15 HP more, that being said it also uses about 30-35% more fuel. So not the greatest option for long races. As far as wear on the engine, no difference, however it will wreak havoc on your fuel cell if you leave it sitting in there. Running VP 110 or any higher octane will net you very little as far as power being that the CL10 engine does not have the compression ratio to take advantage of the higher octane. In some cases it hinders performance as the burn of the higher octane is slower. A fuel like VP110 will how ever act as a safety net to detonation and vapor locking in a race like V2R that has extremely high temps and elevation changes.

mxben

Solutions
Reaction
Here’s a question for you fellow class 10 racers. Who runs e85 and what are you seeing in differences, wear on the motor, gas mileage, power differences? Can that sane power gap be bridged by running like say vp110 or a higher octane?

Not that much faster. Half the fuel mileage (SF250*).

E.Hagle

Reaction
It’s definitely noticeable down in 1st-3rd. We talk about benefit to cost ratio constantly in the garage. It’s a hard one to figure out

Zac Reish

Reaction
I have a 2.4 di ecotec with life racing tuned by Danzio in my class 5 car for gas and e85. I got 163 on pump gas and 171 on e85. I have raced in both and won on both. It’s hard to tell the difference but there is a slight seat of your pants difference in power. Top speed is no different but I’d assume corner to corner on e85 would be a tad faster.

For short course it’s a no brainer. for 250 plus it’s a logistics/pitting balance. I’ve blended as well.

And anyone racing in class 10 who isn’t using Danzio is signing up for head aches and or lower performance. They have been easy to deal with and know what they are doing.

Slippery P

Reaction
As Zac said short races are a no brainer, even Baja for that matter as far as fuel importing logistics goes as both VP and F&L have great consistent race grade E85. The mileage of a 500 or 1000 doesn’t make much sense but we have customers that do it for the import logistics of it. Like I said the engines (engine dyno) usually show a 10-15hp gain all over the torque and horsepower curve not just peak. So that is a pretty good gain. That being said I have witnessed the same on the chassis dyno with a wheel and tire change. So remember there are gains in other areas, with a class like CL10 you have to think outside the box.