Class 10 Question - Single Seat Vs 2 Seat (alumicraft or Similar)

Mikey Zed

Reaction
Hi Guys,

Im looking at Building a new class 10 Alumicraft

My question for the racers That own an alumicraft or similar in this forum is. How much Lighter is a Single Seat Car vs the Same 2 seat car?

Are all the guys winning in single seat? or are 2 seats still competitve.

Being limited HP i know weight management is essential but i would prefer a 2 seater if the weight difference is only marginal

thanks in advance hopefully someone can answer my questions

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Co dog geared up + seat is more like 250lbs.

Maybe your referring to extra tubing in the chassis to accommodate a 2 seat application.
Yeah, I think he is talking chassis weight increase only. You can always kick the codawg and seat out of the car

SMS81

Reaction
It all depends on what you are used to and where you want to race. Like stated earlier, you can always pull the seat. Single seat cars are going to be lighter and center you in the car. Single seat also gets rid of any liability you may have for your codriver.

9rocky

Reaction
Re sale value of a 2 seat is significantly higher on a 2 seat.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
Many advantages to both , two seat cars are wider in the cab , extra seat , seat belt , intercom , pumper , floor is wider , Average co-rider 200 pounds. Overall I would say 300-400 pounds heavier than single seat. Two seat resale is higher by a long shot , some say the co-rider pays also but most don't . The single seat car in my option is all business , advantages , riding in the center of the car is smother for the driver , lighter is faster , disadvantage is the Gps and the navigator .

Last edited:

E.Hagle

Reaction
We're going to pull the seat in our alumicraft and try out the single seat idea for the 250.
Mixed feelings going into it, but with leadnav and marked VCP's it shouldnt be too difficult.
I would not want to run the 1000 by myself though.

CHINOLAS

Reaction
We're going to pull the seat in our alumicraft and try out the single seat idea for the 250.
Mixed feelings going into it, but with leadnav and marked VCP's it shouldnt be too difficult.
I would not want to run the 1000 by myself though.
What happens if you get a flat, stuck, or need a navigator to help to pass a car in the dust, maybe on a short course or a very small course like CODE in Hechicera that is a 13-mile loop I could think of racing by myself but the SF 250 sounds like 2 seater weight is valuable.

E.Hagle

Reaction
What happens if you get a flat, stuck, or need a navigator to help to pass a car in the dust, maybe on a short course or a very small course like CODE in Hechicera that is a 13-mile loop I could think of racing by myself but the SF 250 sounds like 2 seater weight is valuable.
My dad and grandpa come from the single seat days of the 80s and have recognized that lately everyone winning is running a single seater.
They want to give it a whack and see what happens.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
I say 2 seat, that's why they let you run a bigger motor right. Co-dawg can help change flats, navigation and any other things that may go wrong out on the course. Plus it's like everyone else said, it's just more fun with 2 guys to share the HOLY CHIT moments..

Robin Hood

Reaction
My dad and grandpa come from the single seat days of the 80s and have recognized that lately everyone winning is running a single seater.
They want to give it a whack and see what happens.
Taking a seat out of a two seater and making it a one seater, is not going to give you a winning car, especially at the San Felipe 250. If you want to run faster at San Felipe, put lighter wheels and tires on it and don't get flats. Taking away sprung weight from one side of the car is not the best idea IMO.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Taking a seat out of a two seater and making it a one seater, is not going to give you a winning car, especially at the San Felipe 250. If you want to run faster at San Felipe, put lighter wheels and tires on it and don't get flats. Taking away sprung weight from one side of the car is not the best idea IMO.
We'll see what happens, I don't make the final call because I'm not the one signing the checks. If I had it my way we would be running a codriver.

jsallenbach

Reaction
COMING FROM BOTH SIDES. RODE WITH LAWRENCE EQUIPMENT GUYS FOR 5 YEARS IN ALL BAJA RACE'S WHILE ALSO RACING ARE SINGLE SEAT CAR IN THE STATES. PERSONALLY, I LIKE RACING THE SINGLE SEAT CAR. MY DAD AND GRANDFATHER COME FROM THE SINGLE SEAT DAYS LIKE THE HAGLES DID. FOR US, IT WAS MORE OF A SAFETY FACTOR. DIDN'T WANT THE RISK OF HURTING ANOTHER PERSON.

IN MEXICO, ESPECIALLY NOW WITH A LOT MORE RELYING ON GPS/ LEADNAV AND MINIMAL COURSE MARKING'S HAVING A 2ND PERSON IS BIG. IN THE STATES, ESPECIALLY WITH BITD. WHERE THEY MARK EVERY BUSH AND ROCK I NEVER FELT THE NEED OF HAVING ANOTHER PERSON WITH ME. MIGHT BE A LITTLE OVER CAUTIOUS, IN AREAS BUT I DRIVE AS FAST AS I CAN SEE..

RACE READY WITH DRIVER. WE TIP THE SCALES AT 2550 LBS.