Class 10 questions

DrZero

Reaction
I notice that nearly all the Class 10 cars I've been able to find pictures of have retained the VW style of engine placement, that is behind the rear axle.

What advantages, if any does this have?

In pavement based cars only Porsche has held on to that particular engine placement, and even they have moved it forward several times (924, 928, Boxer).

Reading the rules it seems that Class 10 is pretty wide open, has anyone tried the mid-engine or even front engine - rear drive (like a small trophy truck) layouts, or do the overall dimensional limitations of the class effectively prevent any layout but the classic buggy one?

Also, has anyone ever run a rotary engine in this class. The latest one only displaces 1.3L but makes 280hp stock, and is very light. Perhaps the reliability isn't there?

Finally, is there a page somewhere with a list of frame builders on it?

Thanks in advance.

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
Reaction
I notice that nearly all the Class 10 cars I've been able to find pictures of have retained the VW style of engine placement, that is behind the rear axle.

In pavement based cars only Porsche has held on to that particular engine placement, and even they have moved it forward several times (924, 928, Boxer).

Reading the rules it seems that Class 10 is pretty wide open, has anyone tried the mid-engine or even front engine - rear drive (like a small trophy truck) layouts, or do the overall dimensional limitations of the class effectively prevent any layout but the classic buggy one?

Also, has anyone ever run a rotary engine in this class. The latest one only displaces 1.3L but makes 280hp stock, and is very light. Perhaps the reliability isn't there?

Thanks in advance.
Martin Christiansan was a class 10 champion with a midengine BMW.

No rotary engines per SCORE rules.

People have been talking about making a 10 car with rear truck suspension and drive aka class 10 truggy for a while. dont think it has been done though.

DrZero

Reaction
Thanks. That's interesting. Kinda sad to see the rotary abused like that. I guess the displacement rules make it hard to sort out. Kinda like 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes in motorcycle racing.

5racer

Reaction
Thanks. That's interesting. Kinda sad to see the rotary abused like that. I guess the displacement rules make it hard to sort out. Kinda like 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes in motorcycle racing.

there was a car running a merc or yamaha out board motor for awhile not sure what class it was .motor cycle engines could be another oppt also .

Bryan_Harrold

Reaction
my dad's old 10 car had a midengine at one point, but he liked the way it handled way better as a rear. His new car is a rear engine as well.

John Marking had the same experience in the old Viejas class 1 (now huffmans TT). It started out as a mid but the swap to rear just before the Chula Vista CORR race (the one they let off-road cars race) made a huge difference in handling.

Bulldozer

Reaction
there was a car running a merc or yamaha out board motor for awhile not sure what class it was .motor cycle engines could be another oppt also .

I believe class 10 rules state that the engine must be out of a mass produced automobile and kinda rules motorcycle engines out.

bcampbell04

Resident Almost Know-it-all
Reaction
that was the Serrano Bros i think. can't remember who owns the car now. it was a chenowth 1/10 a-arm car. my uncle actually helped re-build that car right when they put the outboard boat engine in it. sounded pretty cool i thought, made you think you were on the lake. raced an MDR or MORE race last year

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
the boatmotor car was a class one and it got wadded up in lucerne last year with jangaard and lalonde inside.

desertracer

Reaction
that was the Serrano Bros i think. can't remember who owns the car now. it was a chenowth 1/10 a-arm car. my uncle actually helped re-build that car right when they put the outboard boat engine in it. sounded pretty cool i thought, made you think you were on the lake. raced an MDR or MORE race last year
Steve Jangaard from Rothgaard Racing (HMS class 1) raced/owned that car for a while out in MDR a couple years back, not sure what happened to it. The car seemed to work well when it was running at 100% but there always seemed to be something that got them. He comes on here from time to time and could shed some light on that application. I just remember how much vibration it had at idle. It was great at the starting line when it would load up a bit and they had to clear it out. The merc did sound amazing though at full race speed up in the powerband.

J_Lothringer

Reaction
Steve Jangaard from Rothgaard Racing (HMS class 1) raced/owned that car for a while out in MDR a couple years back, not sure what happened to it. The car seemed to work well when it was running at 100% but there always seemed to be something that got them. He comes on here from time to time and could shed some light on that application. I just remember how much vibration it had at idle. It was great at the starting line when it would load up a bit and they had to clear it out. The merc did sound amazing though at full race speed up in the powerband.
Pretty sure what got them was the lack of water (lake)...............

KREGER FAB

Reaction
Martin Christiansan was a class 10 champion with a midengine BMW.

No rotary engines per SCORE rules.

People have been talking about making a 10 car with rear truck suspension and drive aka class 10 truggy for a while. dont think it has been done though.
It has been done...along with most other ideas that have been trown around. By Morley Williams @ MECO. A true innovator and one of my mentors. BTW it didnt work so good. Too much hp loss thru all the drivetrain. 200 hp is hard to divy up.

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction

The weight in the rear of the car really helps in the rough. Mid-engines are a little easier to drive on the roads, but once you figure out how to drive a rear engine car on the roads you can go just as fast.

CHECK OUT KREGERFAB.COM for a chasis. PM me for more info.