• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Class 10 together with Class 1?

dan200

#BSF200
Before this goes anywhere bad, I know that there have been many strong arguments on here about how it is unsafe to have the class ones mixed in with the Trophy Trucks on loop races. And I get it.

I am just a keyboard racer but I am also around a lot, my job allows me to bench race with all kinds of big shots and I gotta say when this topic has come up outside of facebook and the forums I have heard plenty of people whose opinions I value say they think its perfectly safe to have the two classes mixed. They might deny saying that if I named them so I am NOT naming names but, for real, people whose opinions I respect, have said having the classes mixed is fine with them. Myself, I can't say I'm not torn a little on the issue but I'm also not racing with them so, my opinion is pretty worthless here I can admit.

I am all for letting the trophy trucks eat alone. I wish there was enough time/resources to have them in their own heats always. At Laughlin they did just that. Great. The class ones were safe from the big heavy TTs.

Here's the dumb part though. It's was in the name of safety that this happened but instead of putting the buggys with 6100s like they did last year, the put class one with class ten. So now you have a car going 120 closing in on a car going like 85. And the fast guy is also way heavier.

They solved the problem they were trying to solve for the TTs and in doing so created a even bigger problem.

Side note- It also sucks for Letner because he showed up and raced where they said to and now his overall is being discounted because his course had less holes since he was in an early heat

Am I alone being bothered by this? They safety issue of buggys mixed with TTs was eliminated and replaced with a more dangerous one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBlue&Goldie

How is it any safer to mix Class 1 and Class 10 than mixing Class 1 and TT? Laughlin is proof that Class 1 is still in contention for the overall when the conditions are right. 10 cars are never going to overall a race. The problem in combining any classes in a lap race is the non-competetive cars become trail tampons when the fast guys come around on them. This works both ways; there are many "trophy trucks" that just create dust for the fast class 1's, 6100's, and 10's. Outside of expanding qualifying to 6100's and 10's, we will always have starting position debates.

Letner drove the wheels off that car and earned the win.

Harley Letner WON no question there , he did not only win but spanked them all by far, like he said he would !! This topic is over , carrie on on to the next one please,!!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bdub 1020

That's why off road racing is a sport but also a hobby. If you have enough money you can race a class 1 or TT and always just be a safety hazard / trail tampon ( that was a good one). There is no real solution except letting TTs and 1s race by themselves but there is never enough time or entries . The 6100 race was safe seemed like were was a lot of them and fun to watch. Oh and Harley put on a spankin clinic period. Were there any close calls with 1s and 10s I did not see any but it also seemed like there was not much dust.

Bro_Gill

So the Trophy Truck drivers are actually saying Harley wouldn't have won had they been able to go out before him and totally destroy the desert landscape?

EMS702

Rescue 1
Not sure how people are discounting Harley's win. The 6100's and the TT teams that added 2 numbers to their TT and drove as sportmans for a lap dug some big holes. At least in my area. they also In hot pit and infield graded on Saturday before the TT race. Harley on Sunday had to also deal with a blockage in the road by the detention basin. But back on topic.....sorry

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Who, or is it whom, are said TT teams whining? That sure would
take a LOT of balls.......

CodyParkhouse

I had a feeling this thread would go off topic after reading Dan's post. The main thing he is talking about is that Class 1's are much more suited to race with TTs than class 10's. Class 1 is the same speed (faster in this case) but slightly lighter than TT's. Much, Much closer than 130mph top speed and 4-5000lbs vs 100mph top speed and 2-3000lbs

bobylax

On this course, with 30 entries between the 2 classes, and plenty of places with lots of room to pass, I don't feel there was much of a safety issue. If memory serves, the top ten cars had already caught and passed some of the slower 1500's by lap 2 on Saturday, and I don't believe any of the top 1500's caught but maybe 3 or 4 slower 10 or 1500 cars by lap 4. At our spot, both classes looked pretty compatible for this particular race, looked like both classes had some good clean racing. I thought it was a good call.

ht racing

i was out there everything was fine. the only problem was the slow class 1 cars did not want to get over for the 10 cars that caught them. one guy blew a berm shot out into the desert the came back on course wide open right in front of me blasting me with mud and rocks. wtf dude! go race your own class not ours!

Maxwell_99

i was out there everything was fine. the only problem was the slow class 1 cars did not want to get over for the 10 cars that caught them. one guy blew a berm shot out into the desert the came back on course wide open right in front of me blasting me with mud and rocks. wtf dude! go race your own class not ours!
You do realize he was in his own race right? That's kind of the point of this thread...

I know at least one person found out what happens when a 10 car tries to nerf a 1 car

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ht racing

lol he was a half lap back and was not in any type of race other than his own. the only 1 car we passed on day 1. the next day he pulled over on the start line and let the top guys leave before him. that was a classy move i do admit. there is no way to run classes without them getting mixed up. was it dangerous? i do not think so.

ht racing

when you have a faster car come up on you i do not care what class it is! move over!! you should not need to slam the guy to get past them, in your own class yea i can see that at times but when a plug truck or a class 1 is caught by a 10 car yea move over and let us race our race!

dan200

#BSF200
On this course, with 30 entries between the 2 classes, and plenty of places with lots of room to pass, I don't feel there was much of a safety issue. If memory serves, the top ten cars had already caught and passed some of the slower 1500's by lap 2 on Saturday, and I don't believe any of the top 1500's caught but maybe 3 or 4 slower 10 or 1500 cars by lap 4. At our spot, both classes looked pretty compatible for this particular race, looked like both classes had some good clean racing. I thought it was a good call.

I just glanced over the unofficial times. (I also think that it seems gayer than AIDS that I am using data to try and explain my stance here.)

Top three in TT (Voss, Croll, and Lalo) had all pretty much checked out on the rest of their class.
Same with the top three in Class 1 (Letner, Householder and Quinn). They were way out front too.
These guys all finished between 2:03:48 and 2:09:04.

Then there is about a 5 min gap and we start seeing the others in these two classes showing up at the finish.

In class one 7 of the next 8 guys were all after 2:13 under 2:21 and the final straggler was 2:48 (so he obviously had an issue.)

I'm not gonna do all the math but it seems, after you drop the top three TTs and the top three Class 1's that the rest of these guys (TT's, 10's and 1's) were running about the same speeds if you average them out. (I left the top ten cars in there for this.) Just glancing and not crunching the numbers it seems that their times were pretty matched. If anyone wants to do the math for us here's a link to the unofficial results. http://bitd.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2017_Unofficial_LDC_By_Class.pdf The overall of the heat with the class ones and the class tens has those guys pretty mixed up with each other. Maybe not even but, close.

I crew for a class ten car that races in Baja. We've been on the receiving side of the hit from a heavy vehicle. It hurt us. Down there on a big single loop or a point to point, we're fast enough to get in the mix with the 6100s and such. We hope we don't get corn-holed but, there isn't really a way to avoid it happening when some donkey who had down time tries to bash his way to back to a 21st place finish in his class. The format in Baja is a single heat and that crap is going to happen. It's the nature of things. But at a multi heat event it is very avoidable and to have heavy and light mixed up with each other is pretty dumb IMO. If there is a logical reason that I am overlooking I would love to know what it is. This move was not done in the name of safety, not the safety of the class ten guys anyway.

I still say that even without an incident this wasn't the best way to run these heats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ht racing

holly crap guys! its 4 laps on a 16 mile coarse! we started two at a time with very low car count! there was not any class 1 cars lapping a 10 car unless he was stopped having lunch! best way to avoid getting hit is look in your dam mirrors and check to see what that ground rumbling noise is and get over. there is no rule that says you need to hit and destroy the car in front of you but there is a few dick heads out there in every class. common sense goes a long way in desert racing.