Class 11 showdown at 2021 KOH

ekozy39

Reaction
Ekozy

You may be right. Just don't see why more don't show up to this race. This race is everything any racer wants. Big exposure, tough course, big payout, great event, etc..

Its hard to understand why there is not 30 trucks there.

Mike
Agree. I think they had a great turnout the first one and obviously, it didn't deliver the return/exposure prestige they(the drivers/teams) expected. Shoot, this was an invite-only event with a cap at 40 and still guys were asking to be on the list in year 1 and by year 2 less than 10 TTs raced.. My .02, which is worth even less, is that KOH is the Superbowl of the Ultra 4 world, just don't think this event clicks with desert guys, it's a sideshow. What would mean more to you a Parker 425/SF 250 win or a win at KOH? Winning a large BITD event or any SCORE race that has a history just can't be easy replaced.
My teammate and business partner is a 7x Baja 1000 winner, 6x class champ, TT class champ, more than a few milestone awards, blah blah.. but when we talk about events, this one doesn't even hit the radar when it comes to pulling out the Spec, for the UTV, every race seems to have #s and be worth racing LOL..Hard to explain why, this event just hits different.

Last edited:

dezertthing

Reaction
Here’s my 2cents.
I was super excited when Josh told me about this event. Immediately decided I would make the effort to be there. But...

1.Information was not exactly abundant about this event 2 months ago. I still haven’t seen a track map, I was told it was a $1000 entry, and I thought we were racing the desert course that the TTs run. At one point rumor had it that we would be racing a desert course one day, and a short course event on another day
2. I was hoping the entry fees would have offered a lot more racing for that kind of money. All of you talking smack, do you know why I race class 11?
Because I’m fu*#!ng poor.
$1700 vs $1000 is a big chunk of change. In fact...the difference is the cost to enter most races.
3. I live in Colorado. So my costs are probably double or more than for the average California guy to get there. I know it’s my problem, but it’s still a factor for me.
4. There are a lot of events to choose from this year. A January event, with a new(but reputedly great) promoter still leaves me unsure of the value of the event. I think an introductory entry fee would have helped justify spending “Mint 400 money” next year if it kicks ass. But if it sucks...that’s like two extra races I don’t get to participate in this year...
So, I can’t really speak for anyone else, but that’s pretty much why I won’t be there. And I’ll probably regret it.

MTPyle

Reaction
Must be nice to be able to afford to purchase a class 11 just for this race or, I had to go and purchase another RV for my crew.
A lot us are just trying to make some of the races this covid season and then some of you act like money is no object.

Money is for sure an object to us. We work hard for it and put all we have into racing. I get it’s harder for some. It’s all relative. Lots of guys that have way more than we do and some guys have less.

racing at any level takes a lot of commitment and money. I own my own business and have been working in my field for 28 years. Nothing came easy. Haha.

Mike

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
People need to quit saying "I wish someone would........" on the internet because it's being delivered and participation sucks.

In my opinion, KOH race gets more media coverage and brings more brand awareness to sponsors than any other race, including the Baja 1000 and Mint 400. Off road enthusiasts on the east coast know about KOH, but they don't know/care about the rest of our west coast races. Because there are so many organizations these days, not many are running points are choosing to run premiere races.

In my opinion, KOH is a premiere event:

-Stellar media
-New course we haven't been running for the last 20yrs
-Prerunning
-Qualifying
-Biggest payouts in all of desert racing
-Legit entertainment
-Huge vendor participation
-Concessions

What else do people want? Dave is putting all of this on during COVID when other organizations are struggling to put on the same old events. I think the desert UTV guys are turning out because they have seen how awesome the UTV "rock" racing has been at KOH for years now.

stephenrjking

Reaction
People need to quit saying "I wish someone would........" on the internet because it's being delivered and participation sucks.

In my opinion, KOH race gets more media coverage and brings more brand awareness to sponsors than any other race, including the Baja 1000 and Mint 400. Off road enthusiasts on the east coast know about KOH, but they don't know/care about the rest of our west coast races. Because there are so many organizations these days, not many are running points are choosing to run premiere races.

In my opinion, KOH is a premiere event:

-Stellar media
-New course we haven't been running for the last 20yrs
-Prerunning
-Qualifying
-Biggest payouts in all of desert racing
-Legit entertainment
-Huge vendor participation
-Concessions

What else do people want? Dave is putting all of this on during COVID when other organizations are struggling to put on the same old events. I think the desert UTV guys are turning out because they have seen how awesome the UTV "rock" racing has been at KOH for years now.
Agree. In less than 15 years, KOH has risen from nothing to become, essentially, one of the monuments of off road racing. The live and recorded coverage is as good as any off road event. The payouts are better. The "event" is as good as it gets. It is the ulltimate off-road festival (slightly different from the most important race, which is the 1000) that draws major players from all disciplines in a way I, as a Crandon short course partisan, wish the labor day race did this well (and credit, BTW, to Dave for throwing U4 into Crandon full blast).

I hope it's good for the teams and drivers. I think it's better for the sport as a whole if the trophy trucks and the bugs show up. Make off road great, and our own feature races will be great.

A rising tide lifts all trucks.

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction
Must be nice to be able to afford to purchase a class 11 just for this race or, I had to go and purchase another RV for my crew.
A lot us are just trying to make some of the races this covid season and then some of you act like money is no object.

If you have employees the government will give you a second round of race money for free.

51rcr

Reaction
B1 and T2 took the opportunity. maybe 9s and 1600 would take the 11s. going to be a way better show for the fans this year. maybe it is ego and T1 dont like playing second fiddle to the rock race. put them in the back of the b1 4400 and T2 field. fast guys to the back. The rock race is going to be good with going up trails. Iam excited to watch that race.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think you guys are missing some clues about class 11 racers. Yeah, racing is expensive and everyone should enter racing knowing that, but shoestring racing is way different than budget racing. You may be a budget racer in class 10 or 6100 because you can't afford TT racing. But that is a far cry from shoestring racing. It's kind of insulting to hear some folks talking down to the 11 guys about why they haven't stepped up and entered more for the Hammers. Let me tell you why they haven't- Many of these 11 class guys (and 9, and 5-1600, and even some 1600 guys) race-2-3 times a year at a small series race because that is all they can afford. And that is saving money all year long to do that. BUDGETING every 2 weeks to pull x amount of dollars, so lets say $3,000 base race cost for 1 race. 6 months of paychecks means you're cutting 250 bucks out of your pay. Every 2 weeks, for 6 months to get to that $3,000 race budget. Class 11 guys didn't spend $150,000 to buy a used 6100 truck. That guy has no problem coming up with 1750 bucks to go have fun for a weekend, let alone go race for some money. That guy will spend more money dumping race fuel into twin offshore donovans running around Havasu for weekend collecting playing cards and looking at pasties. The 11 guy will be in his garage try to finish up that wrought iron gate side job he took on that is is taking 1 weekend loner than he thought so he could make an extra $300 bucks. Sometimes you need to touch souls and reality at the same time.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Well said Bro-Gill. I'm a class 9 racer. I looked at racing the MORE Swinger Ball. With an entry fee of 1030 there was no way. Yes, I'm saving every $100 per pay check and selling stuff just to buy more parts.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
BroGill I completely agree, but I would have had them race for free if I wasnt paying a 20k purse.

Its an easy fix, give everyone their money back, I pay whatever the sponsorship revenue is out in purse. That is sitting around 10k.

Id be willing to bet the 10 guys registered lose their marbles on not racing for 20k and only 3 more people sign up with NO entry fee.

green787

Reaction
Maybe some of the finance geniuses can tell me why I could race in Johnson Valley for $350.00 in 2005 but 15 years later it's about $1200.00..... ??? That seems to have outpaced inflation..... According to google my $350 in 2005 is now $466.00.... How can the vendors make money if I'm not out there spending it..... $1750.00 for a wired helmet .....??? HNR....$500.00 I guess it's just "out of my league"......

MTPyle

Reaction
BroGill

I also agree with what you are saying. it’s hard to know what everyone goes thru to race or do any hobbies.

I think there are a couple demographics for class 11 racers. There are the guys saving every dim to race, then the guys that can afford it but they could never pull off a more expensive class, then the guys that do it for fun that can do anything they want. I would say Blake Wilky is in the middle of top of that group. He clearly can afford to race other classes but races class 11 because it’s fun and cool.

I am more surprised that all these class 11 bugs sold for top dollar and then disappeared. I am not hating on the guys that simply can not afford the entry fee, especially in these times.

When you have diverse groups it’s really hard to make everyone happy. Dave is right, I bet most of the guys that signed up are excited about the purse.

I will get my sponsor to pay complete entry fee for a Class 11 that has a good fast proven car and put Whipple Superchargers as the title sponsor on the car. There you go. We should get at least one more Class 11

Mike

Jet mech

Reaction
BroGill

I also agree with what you are saying. it’s hard to know what everyone goes thru to race or do any hobbies.

I think there are a couple demographics for class 11 racers. There are the guys saving every dim to race, then the guys that can afford it but they could never pull off a more expensive class, then the guys that do it for fun that can do anything they want. I would say Blake Wilky is in the middle of top of that group. He clearly can afford to race other classes but races class 11 because it’s fun and cool.

I am more surprised that all these class 11 bugs sold for top dollar and then disappeared. I am not hating on the guys that simply can not afford the entry fee, especially in these times.

When you have diverse groups it’s really hard to make everyone happy. Dave is right, I bet most of the guys that signed up are excited about the purse.

I will get my sponsor to pay complete entry fee for a Class 11 that has a good fast proven car and put Whipple Superchargers as the title sponsor on the car. There you go. We should get at least one more Class 11

Mike
That's what I'm talking about ,racers helping racers.
WAY TO GO MTPyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fastfelix

Reaction
BroGill

Mike
Hey mike awesome. Maybe u guys would be interested in helping me I’m the fastest vw on my street! I originally approached Dave for this event for us but as mentioned above there’s different budgets. Mines more on the lines of dental floss budget. Haha. Let me know thank u. 7602504296

Attachments

• 45F40F6A-116B-4110-A8BF-4E821372AF33.png
    45F40F6A-116B-4110-A8BF-4E821372AF33.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 310D210D-0804-47ED-91BC-E8EF56D7C0B3.png
    310D210D-0804-47ED-91BC-E8EF56D7C0B3.png
    9 MB · Views: 54

E.Hagle

Reaction
BroGill I completely agree, but I would have had them race for free if I wasnt paying a 20k purse.

Its an easy fix, give everyone their money back, I pay whatever the sponsorship revenue is out in purse. That is sitting around 10k.

Id be willing to bet the 10 guys registered lose their marbles on not racing for 20k and only 3 more people sign up with NO entry

Roll them into the class 10 race