• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 12 /1100/ SCORE Lites ONLY Thread

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
I have been very inspired by bajabird's "Class 5 Only" thread!! ...so here goes.

There is no agenda here other than sharing race stories, car builds, pictures, videos, setup tips, engine comments, and general banter about the class.

Since moving from Class-5U over to Class-12 this last year, I have noticed a little shortage of communications and commaradere among the drivers and owners of what is arguably the ultimate VW buggy class (no offence meant to 1/2-1600 as that is a seriously fast pro VW buggy class as well!) As a matter of fact, 1/2-1600 guys are also invited along on this forum ride!

I have personally noticed a recent resurgence in the class which is possibly due to the recent engine rules changes, but I'm sure there are other opinions.

Let the games begin!!!!
View attachment 250136_393387010734084_1405239342_n.jpg

Bryan J

viva water pumpers!!! (VW's, subaru's, ecotechs and fords) and new era front arms!!!! no more aircooled.......

just kidding guys

Joker

We went to the new motor for the Baja 500 and have done a couple of MORE races. I think this new motor will open up the class because it is more affordable to run. The last MORE/SNORE race we had 12 sign up and 9 show up. I am hoping to see larger entries next year. We will be doing the MORE series and the Baja 500 in 2013. After 2 years re-hab from my accident I am back and will be driving!!!
See you out there!

jsallenbach

We run the new 2120 motor and really like it, have the transmission geared really well, suspension works great and have a really good time racing the local MORE series. Was running well in the last more race before the lower arm broke and king pin broke.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
We run the new 2120 motor and really like it, have the transmission geared really well, suspension works great and have a really good time racing the local MORE series. Was running well in the last more race before the lower arm broke and king pin broke.
We have been working really had (on our own) to tweak the 2110 cc motor this year. We have been struggling against the explosive power of the high-compression plenum motors...which is impossible to replicate; but reliability is awesome and running pump gas is awesome!! For example, Brady Wisdom came by us at the velocity of a TT at the SNORE/MORE race!!! I think we are in the ball-park torque-wise and next step is to re-gear the transmission at the next over haul...I think this is key. I know Brent Parkhouse and company worked really hard with FAT and their transmission guy to get their gearing just right and subsequently won Baja 500 this year.

@SteveOwe, sounds good to me...it's an unlimited wheel-base class..LOL! Of course, that limited cc motor might have a hard time pushing that much chromoly. :)

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
We are definately still in wait and watch mode in reference to HDRA events. Maybe next year...We'll have to see.

On that same subject, who's racing where next? Our team, is ramping up for the next SNORE race in Primm on OCT 20-21. It kinda sucks that BLM came back with a HUGE fee to race at Parumph which led to the cancellation there. The 2010 SNORE 250 that went on out there was one of the best courses I have ever done. It was a single lap 250 mile race...Epic!! It started just outside of Parumph, went all the way north of Amorgosa Dunes and back...

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
After 2 years re-hab from my accident I am back and will be driving!!!See you out there!
What's the story on that accident Joker? Sounds like you've had a long recovery, or was it the car that needed recovery? I'm sure you've told the story a hundred times...

jsallenbach

The way our car is geared is perfect! Our transmission builder is a wizard with gear ratios and one of the best. I really like the torque of the new motor, we run a built bus box and the car is a little lighter then most out there. All in all its a good car, just updating the old with new every time we go out.

rusco

Good Thread Frost. We have a class 12 out here in Colorado that is almost ready to join your group.

Here's one: "What are the advantages-disadvantages with plenum high compression vs displacement low compression?"

Fourstroker

Good Thread Frost. We have a class 12 out here in Colorado that is almost ready to join your group.

Here's one: "What are the advantages-disadvantages with plenum high compression vs displacement low compression?"
Is that Mikes car? I would love to see that thing out there again. It has a lot of history

hotdogwater

Thanks for starting, I got topics/questions for the 12 crowd. Wondering if anyone makes their own arms? I have yet to break an trailing arm but know it's probably going to happen and don't really want to spend the money they want for woods or foddrill arms when I do.

I am also planning on building a 2110 for next season and maybe cutting up the trailing arms/back end a bit.

Good thread, Hi Kevin, Yes I hope to get the car running soon. Hopefuly picking up an engine for the car in two weeks. Slow go on the build up, time and $ allows the speed of the build. I will get some pics up soon. We made it to the last more race but had engine problems before the race, RUSCO car. It was good to meet a few of the 5 guys out there. I hope to be ready for a few races in 2013.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
I'm sure this subject will get tons of key-board time....

Remember that the "plenum" is the intake system only. I have not run a plenum motor, but advantages of this intake should be quicker throttle response, due to the plenum chamber's additional gas volume, and, due to the straighter intake runners, higher possible intake gas velocities. Disadvantages include the need to run a Porche fan shroud, fan, and the plenum intake itself (initial costs).

Advantages of the high compression setup, most often run in conjuction with the plenum intake, include higher maximum power at "high" RPMs, higher RPM range possible, and subsequent higher HP numbers. Disadvantages include higher head tempertures, higher engine component wear (especially top-end components), and the need to run race fuel to combat detonation at those high engine/combustion temps.

The low compression setup advanatages include: Lower engine (head) temps (and subsequent expected reliability), longer times between top-end overhauls, ability to run pump gas (I run high-quality fuel additives to combat detonation when the envirmentals/conditions are "hot"), higher lower-RPM torque numbers over high-compression motor, rules require the use of less costly and widely available intake system. The low compression setup disadvatages include ultra-critical transmission gearing (arguably as important with any limited cc motor), lower top-end RPM range and top HP numbers compared to the high-compression setup, getting out drag-raced by the guys with the high-compression motors...

There was a huge thread on this specific subject when we were working to get the new engine rules adopted back a year ago...lots of good info there on that thread.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Just wondering, has BITD made any whispers of adopting or embracing the new SCORE engine option or are the still heavily into Fords pockets?
I gave up with BITD on this because Casey was unmoving and everytime I talked to him, he just wanted me to buy a new Ford crate motor from his ONE AND ONLY BITD approved Ford engine supplier...really lame concept!! I haven't talked to him about this in 8 months. Does anyone else have any updated info????

Randy Ross

Ross Racing Desert Dynamics 12 car is looking to be at HDRA in NOV also Championship desert racing has a couple of 12 guys who are interested in puting a championship series together go to www.racecdr.com we will be having a meeting shortly