Class 12 /1100/ SCORE Lites ONLY Thread

Bro_Gill

Reaction
My homeowners insurance will not cover race cars in the garage, whether they get stolen, burn up, etc... I think they are more worried about fraud than any of the above. Everything else goes under contents but they won't cover a 'race' car.

bajatex

Reaction
Thanks though the credit belongs to Stan and Freddie's driving along with Dan's prep. I did the chase on HWY 3 though!! I will be back behind the
wheel at the 1000. Congrats to you guys for a strong run and see you at the 1000. Crazy that there was no mention of anyone following the race on this thread. We missed Rich Roberts at this race hopefully he will be down in November.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
Thanks though the credit belongs to Stan and Freddie's driving along with Dan's prep. I did the chase on HWY 3 though!! I will be back behind the
wheel at the 1000. Congrats to you guys for a strong run and see you at the 1000. Crazy that there was no mention of anyone following the race on this thread. We missed Rich Roberts at this race hopefully he will be down in November.
We are planning on it. Building s low compression engine and hopefully it will have more power to make it up the hills better! Look forward to seeing you guys down there! Always best of luck...

chino

Reaction
Congrats on behalf of FRT 1212 team on another solid run, i did a visual Pit on Piedras Gordas and there it was one race car after another, really close from each other, see you at the 1000, i had the chance to chat whith your team on Contingency Row.

C. Ellis

Reaction
Hey can anyone break down prep cost for class 12? How often are the motors and trans being gone through? I currently race a single seat class 9. Looking into possibly getting a 2 seater. How smooth is the ride on these things? It looks like a Cadillac compared to the 9.

RaptorLou

Reaction
Ride is much nicer. Low compression motor could do a season if leakdowns ok. Trans will depend on the box and you. Buss box may need 2 freshens if treated well. Maged parts just like always cross your fingers. If you don't extreme cvs and they will last long time.

yamaducci

Reaction
This is a great question to ask periodically since prices and costs change. I just so happened to have just bought a Class 12 and it is in prep right now. It is a used car and it's last race was somewhere back in 2012 I believe so everything has to be gone through to be sure. Some parts are getting replaced just because there is doubt or age adds uncertainty. I would say whatever you get an older used car for; just plan on doubling it for the first prep cost to get it ready unless you are doing it all yourself.
Here is my breakdown so far.
This is me paying for everything since the car is on the West Coast and I live on the East Coast.
I was quoted typical between races 4 corners prep for about $3000 (Once the car is up to new standards)
But since it needs a full tear down and inspection it will be $4500 plus the following:
Shocks rebuilt with seal kits and oil. No hoses or major parts- 8 shocks $950
Mendeola with blown reverse and replacing 4th and 5th with full rebuild $1350
Car completely torn down and sand Blasted and painted Chassis with Steel-It $1600
Engine Top end (Hone, rings, valve job, rod bearings, new ARP rod bolts, Weber carb rebuild and Dyno $1500 plus $200 re-powdercoat the tin.
$1400 general rebuild parts (No CV's or axles) at Kartek for the steering bushings, rear arm bushings, air filter, heim joints, throttle cable, steel it paint, CV boots etc
Fabrication Labor to make repairs to smashed frame rails and broken tabs $2500
I should get a new Fuel Cell Bladder due to age but that's $1500.
New wheels and tires....$$$? Probably need 8 of each to start a race.
New Race Radio $650
New GPS $1100
New body paint or Grafix wrap$$$? $500+
New SFI Window nets and upgraded hardware $400
I have new German CV's and 300M axles but prefer the best so I will have to drop another $2000+ to get Gun-Drilled axles and Lightened CV's
New lighting can be in the $2000+ range plus mounting tab fab or light bar fab.
The best advice is to get as much stuff on the car that you plan to use and in the best condition you can afford. I wanted a particular chassis so I have to pay to rebuild EVERYTHING!
It would be great if you move up to Class 12! I am hoping to get this Class revitalized in a few of the bigger races. If you need referrals for people to do the prep let me know.
If I did everything I want to and have the car 100% ready to win I will be in for about a $20k first prep.
Let me know if you have questions I will be happy to answer.
See you in Class 12!

Last edited:

yamaducci

Reaction
Lou, If C. Ellis could follow your lead and get a great car and do all the prep work himself the cost would be SIGNIFICANTLY Lower I am sure.
What Sanction are you with SNORE/MORE? Are you doing a few or most races a year?

RaptorLou

Reaction
I have ran More an snore. 2016 championship more with used car. Building a new one as we speak. Had to wait 3 months for my new Weddle 5 speed. 2276 is ready on stand for dyno.

yamaducci

Reaction
OK so with the new engine you are definitely racing SNORE mine still has a 2110cc so I will be in MORE or BITD unless you know something about he engine rule changes for MORE. Now would be the time to know if MORE is going to 2276 since my engine is getting rebuilt this week or next. I am waiting in the queue now.

RaptorLou

Reaction
I believe both more and snore have 2276 low compression for 2 seaters now. I still have my 2110 motor for a new test build. Hope to make maiden voyage at slash x race.

yamaducci

Reaction
MORE rules still says 2020/2120. If you know of any confirmation to the 2276 please let me know.. Maybe I should call Cody

C. Ellis

Reaction
We will be doing all our own prep short of the Motor and Trans. With class 9 we have pulled the transmission after every race. How often are you pulling the trans and having it gone through?

RaptorLou

Reaction
My buss box was every other race depending on milage or if you hear or feel something wierd. I was fairly easy on box so just syncro and bearing seals.

Fourstroker

Reaction
We typically did 1500ish miles on our Mendeola. Rebuilds were never more than $1500. And I'm not one of those "easy on the trans" kind of guys

Joneszenn

Reaction
We just came in 4th in the Baja 400. We are getting the trans checked after every race. The class winners have the area down and led the race with a pretty decent lead over 2nd place. They were 1-1/2 hours lead over 4th place. I agree with most of yammaducci's cost, there are deals to be had.

C. Ellis

Reaction
What are the must haves on class 12 that I should be looking for? There are a couple for sale on this site. I just don't know how to pick which one is more "race Ready" than the other. I don't want to buy something that needs a major upgrade to be competitive.