sdcharter

RDC Crypto
Dave Cole ( THE MAN!!!)

is alowing class 12 to race KOH
i think race day is saturday jan 29
$10,000 bonus if we get 10 entries
$1200 entry fee
any body down for this?
I am 100% in for racing KOH class 12. How do i sign up? I sent an email to registration asking if there was a class 12 for KOH last week with no response. Doug satterfield 1229

Advertising supports this site

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I am 100% in for racing KOH class 12. How do i sign up? I sent an email to registration asking if there was a class 12 for KOH last week with no response. Doug satterfield 1229
Not the worst entry fee at $1200. Who is the sanctioning body in reference to rules seeing they have no history with buggies? How are they handling tech & rules? I've run KOH several years with some of the big pro crawler teams, but then KOH opened it up to an invitational with TT/Unlimited Truck just a couple years ago as a "side-show." Now this opening to desert buggies... KOH, for those who have never gone, is soooo huge, especially with all the spectators and Hammer Town! Actually, it's a kind of a big/fun circus. Just a bit hesitant to race until they demonstrate they can pull it off safely and fairly, etc. Again, KOH is an incredible spectacular of desert and dust, especially for the spectators. It's getting pretty late now for my team to decide to go at this point, but if we get organized for next year and the KOH organization sounds smart on how they are doing it we could be in.

Warrant 5 Racing

RDC Crypto
Few months ago there was a neth 12 car for sale that was built for bilek racing. Wondering if anyone has seen it race lately? Previous owner was in Colorado. I really like the car did not have the cash to buy it last year
I drove to Denver and bought it a few months ago. Planning to use it mostly as a play car but going to probably race a few races with MORE in the near future.

One-Eyed Peter

RDC Crypto
WINDAGE TRAY or NO WINDAGE TRAY? That is the question. We just had a motor builder finish our Class 12 2276 and he chose not to put a windage tray in it. He said he's seen too many break and cause issues. From what I understand, most run them. Being a relative newbie to the tricks of building an off-road specific motor, does this spell certain death for this motor? Does anyone not run them? Any advice is much appreciated. I need to know asap, since we need time to have the motor torn back down to put one in. Aargh.

E motorsports

RDC Crypto
WINDAGE TRAY or NO WINDAGE TRAY? That is the question. We just had a motor builder finish our Class 12 2276 and he chose not to put a windage tray in it. He said he's seen too many break and cause issues. From what I understand, most run them. Being a relative newbie to the tricks of building an off-road specific motor, does this spell certain death for this motor? Does anyone not run them? Any advice is much appreciated. I need to know asap, since we need time to have the motor torn back down to put one in. Aargh.

call adam wiks in vegas he builds the best 12 motors IMHO

Journee

RDC Crypto
Who is getting excited for the SNORE 250?!? Who plans to come out?
I haven't driven mine in over a year. The goal is to make racing fun again!

So far we have:
1204 - Corey Ellis
1228 - Journee Richardson
1251 - Dane Miller
1257 - Michael Cooper
1267 - John Pellissier

One-Eyed Peter

RDC Crypto
Are Empi "Race-Trim" beadlocks any good? Not as concerned about weight as reliability. Been trying to get Raceline Rynos for a while, but like a lot of stuff OUT OF STOCK everywhere.

yamaducci

RDC Crypto
What was the final decision and why?
I will say it depends on the racing you are doing. Rage at the River Moon bumps? You're probably going to want one but it is also where one will get dislocated if not installed well. Vegas to Reno? Probably don't need one but nice to have anyway. Again..installed well.

yamaducci

RDC Crypto
Are Empi "Race-Trim" beadlocks any good? Not as concerned about weight as reliability. Been trying to get Raceline Rynos for a while, but like a lot of stuff OUT OF STOCK everywhere.
Race-Trims are good and Cheap. We have all used them at some point. Basically a default wheel if you don't want to run tubes and do want a bead lock. I think Moore Parts ships them free just an FYI.

One-Eyed Peter

RDC Crypto
What was the final decision and why?
I will say it depends on the racing you are doing. Rage at the River Moon bumps? You're probably going to want one but it is also where one will get dislocated if not installed well. Vegas to Reno? Probably don't need one but nice to have anyway. Again..installed well.
Well, due to time constraints, we are rolling without it. As of right now, we race mostly MORE in Barstow/Lucerne. Legacy, hopefully Baja Nevada in May. The next race up is STORR in El Paso. I was told by a well-respected veteran if w ego without, we should add Lucas oil stabilizer and always run an extra quart in it. Also, when our builder tore down the engine before rebuild he said the windage tray it had was breaking up, I guess.

yamaducci

RDC Crypto
Well, due to time constraints, we are rolling without it. As of right now, we race mostly MORE in Barstow/Lucerne. Legacy, hopefully Baja Nevada in May. The next race up is STORR in El Paso. I was told by a well-respected veteran if w ego without, we should add Lucas oil stabilizer and always run an extra quart in it. Also, when our builder tore down the engine before rebuild he said the windage tray it had was breaking up, I guess.
Which racer/car are you? I didn't think anyone was racing MORE right now in Class 12. I run the Class 12 Coalition page on FB and the goal is to coordinate races where the most racers will be. I am hoping as we move away from COVID rules that we can get even more organized and start showing up to some other races that are random and not part of a series just for the fun of it and do some side-bonuses. So check out the Facebook page class12coalition.
I don't know who built your engine or what experience you have with air cooled engines but everyone has their beliefs on what works or doesn't. There may be some pros or cons with using that stabilizer. First con that comes to mind is loss of power due to cling and weight. Second is oil foaming. Just make sure you run oil with zinc in it like Valvoline VR1. If you have any type of add on sump or run a dry sump you most likely don't need any additives or windage tray. I personally don't know any engine builders that recommend any additives but the correct oil. As far as the level goes. If you run it over the dip stick level it will "Self-Level" itself by blowing the excess out of the breather. It makes a mess but it usually keeps the right amount in.

Last edited:

One-Eyed Peter

RDC Crypto
Hey John. Here's us. We haven't raced MORE this year. The last couple races we've run in Sportsman. We've been out of commission since running Baja Nevada last year. We're running on a shoestring budget at the moment. The Class 12 Coalition you're working on sounds cool. We can only run a few races a year, so would be nice to coordinate on some of them. Probably couldn't run all for points or anything. The builder we used is local to Dallas but has been doing air-cooled VW for like 40 years. However, he has built mostly drag racing/street motors and only some for off-road. He is a good friend so he's doing his best to help us out budget-wise. Thanks for the VR1 recommend. We do not have a dry sump. What systeconfiguration do y'all run?

SLASH X 2021 FRAME.png

yamaducci

RDC Crypto
That's a good looking car. Could be competitive. Most Class 12's race SNORE for the same reasons that the fees are low and pay out can be pretty good. Entries are in the $750 range per race. And a lot of teams also only run a few select races. If nothing else; most will run Battle at Primm which is next month and Rage at the River which is in December. If you want solid Class 12 fun and competition you should really try to make those two. The best oil system for these engines in this class is a dry sump pump. In order of best to most affordable is the Daily Engineering pump then Bugpack/Scat Pump and then finally the CBPerformance. Someone Mentioned to ask Wik Engines. He only builds Class 12's with the Daily Dry sump pump only. Guys like Majors Engineering run a JayCee standard wet-sump oil pump with pressure relief return back to the case. Those are not the only ways to do it but normal oil pumps survive for years in racing. My engine has been running a normal Cast iron Melling 30mm pump for years before I bought it and my engine just broke a crank at Rage through no fault of that pump. The 30mm Schadek wet-sump pump is the other popular pump and is the base used for the JayCee pump I mentioned. My new engine build; however, is getting a dry sump now for peace of mind. The 20w50VR1 is critical out there in the heat and like I said it has zinc for flat cam and lifters. It is proven that synthetics do not pull the heat out of the air-cooled engine like conventional and should be left for water cooled engines. Your guy probably has the experience to build an engine just fine but popular Class trends vary on heads, camshaft, intake manifold, Carb Tune, flywheel weight etc that he may need to learn over time to be competitive with other engine builders for the sport. As long as it passes Tech on size, compression, manifold and venturi size it will be in the ballpark on power.
Take a look at the Battle at Primm Schedule and I hope to see you on Class12Coalition and Battle at Primm!

Last edited: