Class 12 dying?

hotdogwater

Why so many class 12 buggies for sale? I see 8 really nice looking ones in the classifieds here and wondering if the class is losing racers? Are there new cars on order?

Looks to be some deals out there, just wondering if buying now is investing in a dying class.

HDW

jsallenbach

I hope not, Personally i think its the economy, or maybe people are just tired of the work it takes to prep a car, just my 2 cents.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
I hope not, Personally i think its the economy, or maybe people are just tired of the work it takes to prep a car, just my 2 cents.
There's your answer.

Not to many people have the money to go racing this year or quite possible the next few years. Every class of driver is being hit hard in the pocket book.

If anything, if you have the cash to but a 12 car right now, you have a huge selection of cars ready to get in and drive. You don't need to wait for one to be built.

12's eat front end parts and have those pesky VW motors.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
its those pesky CV's....
I'm right with ya on that one, last CV we lost cost a cool $1,000, not to mention a race, points, etc, etc....

IMHO 12 was being thought of as a little more to get into then a 16 car but cheaper to race, which maybe the case, but has anyone priced a 12 car engine latley:eek:
12 was seen as dead when we bought our 16 car, then it seemed like 16 was dropping off and 12 was really coming back. Now there are 16 cars being converted to 12 and some running both. 12 car counts are still decent though, So who knows.

Last edited:

9rocky

Here are the entries from the MORE race last weekend...

Class 12

1206 Hector Garcia Jr.
1281 Danny Savant
1229 David Sanchez
1268 CodyReid/Corey Torres
1251 Ryan Plowman
1201 Paul Keller
1218 Mark Fusting
1232 Blaise Jackson
1233 Mike W./Mike S. (We need last names)
1216 Tom Stewart
1248 Brian Munson
1203 Paquette/Padilla

Class 1/2 1600

1621 Christy Sizelove
1659 Ron Martin
1699 Mike Meehan
1615 Scott Boyd
1617 Brett Maurer
1688 Keith Rogovin --------------R/S
1651 Andrew Neal
1673 Mike Ward/Brad Crawford ----R/s
1631 Bryan Meters ---------------R/S
1613 Ricky Mondragon/Debra Mondragon
1637 Brad Inch

I would say 12 is growing by leaps and bounds. There a another half dozen cars getting built (i.e. Bryan Freeman, some guy named PDailey, etc.). Other than the initial cost of the build (i.e Fortin or Mendeola trans) The prep costs should be pretty close between a 12 and a 1600.

jsallenbach

Well if you look at it there where 12 Score lites at the More race and 9 at primm, thats 21, 12 cars. Theres still more out there its just the economy. I know three cars that are sitting ready to race and people don't have the time or the money right now. Plus racing for them is a hobby an expensive hobby at that. So all classes are getting hit, the entries will come back up over time. Plus they try to sell them so they can get some cash and if no one buys it park it, it's not a horse you don't have to feed it. Unless you go racing.

jsallenbach

Thats pretty ballsy off you to say that. Jims a good guy and a good fabricator, you get for what you pay for, a great race car with good designs. Been around the Buisness for 30 years and has worked with some well known Race car fabricators. (ORE)

5racer

Maybe there all selling them so they can buy one from Moulton so they can get ripped off:D:eek:
ya know i have a hard time with coments like yours .what is it your after here .if its making you look like a fool then you have done a great job at it .and makes people think that your the problem not moulton.

Demp

#mikesson

M.Harvey1600

movies... with all male cast...
wow ruck i didnt know u were n 2 that sort of thing.... ur parents prolly dont understand but the RDC crew will accept u no matter wut!!! haha

but now im not surprised this pic makes a lot more sense!!!

Attachments

Demp

#mikesson
So as a 12 car owner, if you don't mind answering this, what are your plans once you sell it?
Well.....We arn't dying to sell it.. but it would be nice to. The plans are to run a single or super buggy in the LORRS or do the Regional series for Rally America in a used Subaru rally car ( buying a used one ) Single Buggy in LORRS would be a lot cheaper ( prep wise ) I could prep the car by myself and bring about five crew members tops to a race. I don't need to worry about different pits, spares and all the goods that go along with desert racing. Plus there's A LOT of coverage for those races, which gives me a better chance of scoring bigger and better sponsors.

Demp

#mikesson
wow ruck i didnt know u were n 2 that sort of thing.... ur parents prolly dont understand but the RDC crew will accept u no matter wut!!! haha

but now im not surprised from this pic!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Well.....We arn't dying to sell it.. but it would be nice to. The plans are to run a single or super buggy in the LORRS or do the Regional series for Rally America in a used Subaru rally car ( buying a used one ) Single Buggy in LORRS would be a lot cheaper ( prep wise ) I could prep the car by myself and bring about five crew members tops to a race. I don't need to worry about different pits, spares and all the goods that go along with desert racing. Plus there's A LOT of coverage for those races, which gives me a better chance of scoring bigger and better sponsors.
You know, the short course plan sounds solid, and fun.
Oh crud, I just noticed the photo....

Demp

#mikesson
You know, the short course plan sounds solid, and fun.
Yeah... it's an idea. If I do go shorting coursing.... I want to stay in desert.... wether its prepping other guys cars to ride right seat or selling my soul for money to buy a ride in a drivers seat! HAHAHAHA!!! I'm just kind of going with the flow right now. We're prepping the car to have it on display at the off road expo and hopefully racing soon after that.

Plus there's a lot of pretty nice 12's for sale right now... I've had a couple calls, but nothing serious. Look out for a few new 12 car's being currently built with drivers moving up :)

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Yeah... it's an idea. If I do go shorting coursing.... I want to stay in desert.... wether its prepping other guys cars to ride right seat or selling my soul for money to buy a ride in a drivers seat! HAHAHAHA!!! I'm just kind of going with the flow right now. We're prepping the car to have it on display at the off road expo and hopefully racing soon after that.

Plus there's a lot of pretty nice 12's for sale right now... I've had a couple calls, but nothing serious.
We've thought about a number of classes to move to and 12 has always been at the top of the list. We're set-up to prep another buggy etc. But I think I would do a 1-seat. Just need to sell a few more tractors...