class 3000 questions

gil_caz

Reaction
hey guys, i was wondering what are the top speeds for the class 3000 cars?

such as the trophy lites, and fusion off road.... it doesnt say anything on there web site and i was wondering.

and is a turbo allowed on the sealed turnkey ecotech?

OldGreen

Reaction
Since no one else chimed in yet:

Top Speed: It depends on what gears they are running, but most of them that I have seen top out anywhere from 70 to 90mph. I have heard higher claims with a tail wind going downhill.

Turbo: no.

zjohnson

Reaction
No turbo, top speed depends upon gearing for the vehicle. I would say the buggy's are all in the low to mid 90's. I had the MAD class 3000 top of fourth down a graded road in barstow and if felt mid-high 80's. Sorry no GPS data to back it up.

gil_caz

Reaction
ok thanks for the info.... im running a predator x-18 that tops out around 70.

what tire size do they run? im thinking i could change my gearing(cause its a complicated cvt trans) by changing my 31's to 33's. its probably not gonna get me much closer to 90 but im thinking around 75mph.

Shoyrtt

Reaction
Since no one else chimed in yet:

Top Speed: It depends on what gears they are running, but most of them that I have seen top out anywhere from 70 to 90mph. I have heard higher claims with a tail wind going downhill.

Turbo: no.
Sounds about right.:D Carl Scanlan at the Lucerne MDR race this June was running average speeds consistently above 50 mph (53-57). Our top speed in that race was 80 mph with the old bus box, but that is a fast course. The amazing stat from that race was Carl's times were faster than all but the Class 1 and TTs in the race (10, 12 & 1600s).:)

In the last MORE race the top three 3000 cars in Barstow had an average speed of about 35 mph. Gearing was probably different and and Barstow is a lot rougher, so top speeds were down. 70 to 90 sounds good for top speeds.

diirk

Reaction
Gil:
I run about 70 for a top speed in my X18S. John Bishop on GD.COM is selling an upgraded primary clutch for an X18 for about $500. It's supposed to give more bottom end and a higher top speed. I'd buy it if it was in my budget, but cash is a little tight right now. Anyhow, regearing a CVT is actually really easy. I wouldn't recommend changing tire size, just call Eamon and tell him you want to go faster and he'll let you know what spring you need to change in the CVT. Piece of cake.

Are you going to be racing your X18?

gil_caz

Reaction
I am hoping to be racing next year.... I didnt get the score certifiable chassis so I am looking into the bitd, and more.

I was just wondering so I would be able to keep up the pace.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
a TL can hit 90... gps

ooooohhhhhhhhhh let the rumors fly!

small print here... no body, no full blown spares, just tire, and lightweight passenger and a loooooooonnnnnggggg flat dirt road in the desert...

in race trim we can solidly hit 82-85

diirk

Reaction
I am hoping to be racing next year.... I didnt get the score certifiable chassis so I am looking into the bitd, and more.

I was just wondering so I would be able to keep up the pace.
I'm hoping to get an accurate top speed reading this weekend. I just always forget to throw the GPS in the buggy.

We're planning to race MORE. I believe that MORE and BITD follow SCORES rules for chassis. With that said, I think you'll just have to roll your chassis to tech and see what they say. They may be OK with it, or might require extra gusseting, or say NO. I'll be interested in seeing what they say. Hell, I'm worried about my first tech with MORE.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
...but remember that top speed rarely wins desert races. Look how well 2/1600's do with top speeds of maybe 80ish. Think acceleration, speed in the rough, deceleration and no down time.

OldGreen

Reaction
That's a fact, some of the 3000 cars we've run across in BITD simply haul ass in the rough.

JGOLDEN

Reaction
Are there any completed Class 3000 trucks with a live rearend? (not buggies with truck bodies)
I know there are trophylites, but are there others racing as well?

If so, any pics? What are the average speeds compared to 1600/12 etc???

thanks

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
a TL can hit 90... gps

ooooohhhhhhhhhh let the rumors fly!

small print here... no body, no full blown spares, just tire, and lightweight passenger and a loooooooonnnnnggggg flat dirt road in the desert...

in race trim we can solidly hit 82-85
My Mason truck can hit terminal velocity with 2) 300lb passengers, race ready, fully loaded with all spares, if I push it out of a plane at 10,000'!! What rear end gears do you run in a TL? I am trying 7.30 at the next race.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
everyone is across the board from 6.0's to 7.50's..

and dana, what is your top speed that you have seen?

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
everyone is across the board from 6.0's to 7.50's..

and dana, what is your top speed that you have seen?
At Barstow Hodge loop top speed going counter clock wise going up hill was 54 mph down hill 71 mph but still did not hit the rev limiter. Hope it works. I have L J Kennedy helping out with the driving. If you aren't doing anything this weekend come on out and vistit us.

MMS

Reaction
At Barstow Hodge loop top speed going counter clock wise going up hill was 54 mph down hill 71 mph but still did not hit the rev limiter. Hope it works. I have L J Kennedy helping out with the driving. If you aren't doing anything this weekend come on out and vistit us.
And Bring a tow strap !!!!!!!!!!

TutTech

Reaction
At the last MORE race in Barstow at Outlet Centers, it was a little rough with rocks, with several hills and some wash bed sections like the area by Slash X. So a little of everything. So you won't see super fast lap times is what I am trying to say. The winner of Class 3000 Kevin Ellis in car 3021 had a fast lap of 43.5 mph
To put this in perspective the over all winner Dunn in his truggy hit a fast lap time of 49 mph average for a single fastest lap.

So a 3000 class 4 cylinder buggy with a stock EcoTech ran only 5.5 mph average less of a fast lap then a V-8 Truggy!

As people have said it is not how fast you go but how well your car is set up, how well you drive, no breakage and how quick you go from 0-60 mph was a big plus on this course as I said it had a ton of changes in terrain and some steep hills etc. with tons of rocks of course it was Barstow..

Not a top speed per say but some insite I thought you may consider.
Especially if your going to be racing locally with organization like MORE you don't get to see to many of the fast courses and open areas to really go fast and hit top speeds.. if you do they are for a short time and if you can just maintain a faster speed in the rough or get back up to speed more quickly you would make up for being slower in the faster sections as they are fewer and far between. (This is my thinking anyways.)

Good luck and look us up if you have any questions or need any help with racing at MORE I have raced with them for over 7 years now.

Tut Cote

fusionoffroad

Reaction
sorry Im so late on this one but the fastest Ive seen one of my C1 Lites on gps is 98 "dry lakebed Primm" but I will agree with the others it is not the top speed it is how fast you go through the rough areas "no flats" or broken parts that will ultimatly win the race . your car can go 120 but if you blow corners and pop tires you will get beat by much slower cars.the cars will hit 90 relatively easy and it is work from there. but we rarely see that racing. Bottom line prep your car and go race you will be suprised at were you finnish with consistancy. Good luck and hope to see you at the races. Just remember bigger tires break parts.

Brian Shaleen

diirk

Reaction
With our current stock gearing, we're topping out at 70.