• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

bajabird

I was right there Jim.....a little sad I missed your car.

On way out the door for norra and to bring my 5 car home from baja to prep for the 1000.
xxx.jpg

TexasBaja

I agree. Class 5 should stay air-kooled.

Some pics of our "Steve0we's" car.
5016TA1.jpg
5016TA2.jpg
downsized_0401011826.jpg
FC250.jpg
PPwrap3.JPG
Parker425.jpg

Last edited:

tapeworm

Class 5 is the second coolest class out there, right behind class 11. I would hate to see the rules change in class 5. If you want to run an ecotec, race class 10. Keep the class pure and don't let any water pumper's in the class. It will be way more nostalgic that way.

steve0we

I agree. Class 5 should stay air-kooled.

Some pics of our "Steve0we's" car.
That will be the last of the photos of my 5 car, its going water cooled and racing class ten or 3000. Motor cost is just to high..... Sorry guys. i love the class, but id rather race more often. We will be running the same motor in our new class 10 car as well. ZACH, Im on board with you.... more payout, more cars, more fun!

Zac Reish

That will be the last of the photos of my 5 car, its going water cooled and racing class ten or 3000. Motor cost is just to high..... Sorry guys. i love the class, but id rather race more often. We will be running the same motor in our new class 10 car as well. ZACH, Im on board with you.... more payout, more cars, more fun!
Hey steve is that thing going to be ready by october?

and top speed for a 5 car is between 80 and 110. Lots of variables though.

In my opinion a top of the line 5 open car should beat a top of the line 3000 car just because you can make an unlimited t4 engine alot faster than a stock ecotec. However the reason you dont see alot of these types of 5 cars is because of the initial and maintenance cost to run that type of car. And no one wants to spend a ton of money to rac against 3 dudes when they could spend the same amount of money or less on a top dollar 10 car and race a bunch of guys. bottom line racing isnt fun without competition, bragging rights that your the best that day out of many, and a little cash from winning.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
We just slid over to class-12 with our new car...I do miss the 5U car!!! I don't miss getting spanked by Jim when the "Black Beauty" was running right. There are almost no guys running SNORE this year in 5U...Very sad!! We moved on and Alexaner Racing is doing BITD this year. Add to that HDRA wrestling for the same guys as SNORE and you see watered down entries now! There were no entries at Ridgecrest...

My initial plan was to shorten our class-12 chasis, hang some baja bug glass, and go back to 5U...but I don't know...except for the guys running the MORE and BITD events, there are few 5U entries right now. I do miss the HP versus class-12, but the car is so much lighter too!! I guess time will tell as to what we do.

randy68

Yeah, it's a shame for sure. We only got beat by two 10 cars
@ Parker in 11, and only 1 this year. We (us & Belk) really
spanked em' this year.

(& Jim, I'll mention to AJ about yer motor parts.)

12LaPaz

Jim I understand your gripe about starting back in the starting order, but class 5 has always been a class with a few fast cars (that have to make their way through the pack) combined with a few slower cars (that dont make their way through the pack) and although the class 5 winner is usualy capable of driving through the pack, the class has never really had a large car count, the classes with larger car count usualy have a higher average placing at the end of the race, It has always been the contention of the faster class 5 drivers that they be able to start further up front, but so far (at least since the early 80s) nothing has changed, and I dont see the class expanding to the size of some of the buggy classes, face it the guys that race class 5 have always been kind of heros of the sport (like class11) and everyone knows that che class 5 race winner is faster then a lot of the other class winners but the numbers combined with the slower 5 cars have always kept them back in the starting order. Each one of us has picked a class to race knowing what to expect in many ways including the class starting order. I do agree with you the 5 cars should start further up the grid but judging by past history I dont think it will happen...There is no moral to the story....all you can do is enjoy kicking some buggy a$$ in your 5 car.

ksmith

You will not be dissapointed!! We went to an Ecotec in our 5 car about a year ago. Since then we've put about 800 miles on it and it has ran perfect every race. It's so much like a type 4 power wise you wouldn't beleive it. We used to run a 2.8 liter Major Performance type 4 in a very capable chenowth DR2. The ecotec in our 5 car runs every bit as good as the type 4 and this was a very nice top of the line type 4 we are talking about. Back in 2002 it cost $10,000 to build and about 2-3 grand minimum everytime you needed it freshened up. We simply could not afford to run it anymore. Oh and did I mention our Ecotec runs on PUMP gas, not $10/gal race gas like the type four.

Anyone who says keep the class air cooled. I have one question.... what other VW parts are on your car? If your a budget racer like me maybe an 091 transmission but not many of those around anymore. If you run a full body like us that's fine too. But nothing else is VW. Suspension, shocks, steering, trans, hubs, trailing arms, brakes nothing VW so why not use a resonably priced engine package. Just Sayin' Nothing about the 5 unlimiteds is VW. Keep the limited wheelbase and limited to any size 4 cylinder and lets get a bunch of 5U's out there.

Oh and I am a fan of BITD class rules stating "any size four cylinder air or water cooled". Means we are legal in 5U and 3000 in BITD I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I love this thread by the way. 5 cars are so much fun to drive, nevermind the best looking cars in desert! Let's see some more pics!

Here's a couple pics of our car.
car w flag.jpg
pre race action.jpg

Bryan J

JRV 511

Hey steve is that thing going to be ready by october?

and top speed for a 5 car is between 80 and 110. Lots of variables though.

In my opinion a top of the line 5 open car should beat a top of the line 3000 car just because you can make an unlimited t4 engine alot faster than a stock ecotec. However the reason you dont see alot of these types of 5 cars is because of the initial and maintenance cost to run that type of car. And no one wants to spend a ton of money to rac against 3 dudes when they could spend the same amount of money or less on a top dollar 10 car and race a bunch of guys. bottom line racing isnt fun without competition, bragging rights that your the best that day out of many, and a little cash from winning.
117 mph at 6100 rpms on 35X12.50's

QurtysLyn

Oh and I am a fan of BITD class rules stating "any size four cylinder air or water cooled". Means we are legal in 5U and 3000 in BITD I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
They changed that rule for this year, now it has to be VW. I asked them about that, and they told me no, my Subaru engine wasn't legal anymore.

JRV 511

thats a tad too fast for 105" in bumps. whered u hit this speed?
fast sweepers heading down towards bessemer dry lake . Car handles the bumps pretty good and doesn't make me nervous at all at that speed, but on the other hand that speed in the deep W's completely different story all together ,need to be really focused