• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

CHASETHISTOO

For those that care we just got back from Laughlin and we are your Back to Back Best in the Desert 5 unlimited champs.

We went into this weekend knowing that we needed a miracle to come out with the Championship. The Schweers team had us by one point heading into the weekend. We needed to win and have another team finish between us for us to come out on top. It just so happened that's how it went down. I started side by side by side with Chris and 5022 on Saturday and got the hole shot and clean air out of the gate. It was uneventful and when the dust settled we finished first with Chris 58 seconds behind. Day 2 they lined you up as you finished the previous day so I lined up next to Chris and Billy Bunch in a Pro Truck. I got the hole shot over Chris but was neck and neck with Billy into the first corner. He checked early and I dove in on the inside leading the pack out on the first lap. Billy got around me at race mile 5 or so on the long uphill grade to the first road crossing. I had nothing for that big V8 power and did everything I could to not get knocked out by giant rocks. We drove a clean lap making sure we kept Chris behind us. Next thing we hear over the radio is that Chris is having shifter problems and is stuck in 2nd gear. We pull into the hot pit to get a tow strap so we can get Chris and tow him in for repairs. We pick up the pace knowing that we have Chris on time but we still have to beat the other two 5 cars to get the championship. We get around and find Chris towards the end of our lap 2. We hook him up and start dragging him into the hot pits and 5022 passes us. About 500 yards from the hot pits the strap breaks but Chris is able to limp in and I take off chasing down 5022. I'm driving WAY to hard and end up catching a rock in dust and getting a well deserved flat. While we are changing it Kelson also gets by. Now I have to Chase down two 5 cars! I push hard on my last lap and end up beating both cars on time finishing right on their bumper. Chris ended up with a field fix on his shifter and made another lap before he tossed a rod out the side of his block resulting in a DNF. I am bummed for their team because they kept us honest all season and worked their butts off for this. Jon and Chris are amazing people and I cant wait to race with and against them in the future.

I truly can’t thank Travis and his team enough for all there help in the last two years, it was as crazy as Travis said …. Him putting his Championship and the race win in jeopardy to help us, was true sportsmanship …. That is why our family races for days like that …. Just a crazy Sunday, with a team like the Chase Family out there racing and helping us in the heat of a Championship fight ….wow it was fun as hell all year racing the Chase Team !!!!! Can’t wait to do it all again next year!!!
Thank You guys so much !!!!!The attached photos are ones my Mom took when Travis with the tow rope attached to his car …I hope someone has a photo of Chase racing for 1st and towing us in all at the same time!!!!

Attachments

Glen Greer

Question, the interior cab width of new bug compared to old bug body from what I find is 72" to 60". Due they check your width at drivers seat area? Glen

Zac Reish

Question, the interior cab width of new bug compared to old bug body from what I find is 72" to 60". Due they check your width at drivers seat area? Glen
Nobody has ever checked cab width. There are a few 5 cars that have a widened chassi. No one has cared about interior cab width. Maybe that’s not true. Mine is too narrow. I wish it was wider. I don’t see it creating any significant advantage. What are you working on?

dhjeepgeek

I wish my car was wider inside, Like the some of the cars. It limits the seat selection and elbow room. I don't see any rules on the width of a class 5 open. Just length.

dhjeepgeek

See ya all on the 26th.

swiftracing5

I know there is a rule, it came up in the wheezy days. Pretty sure it has to do with the width of the body from outer edge to outer edge of each rear fender

dhjeepgeek

I see rules on the wheel base length and rear fenders and windshield frames. I didn't see anything on the width.
Good luck on the build. It is addicting. Like a disease. similar to a drug.

swiftracing5

What kind of material are you suing on the wind wings. it looks like plexy or ISOGLASS. My web nets suck to see thru.
I’m not sure, our buddy nick Sarris made them, he runs Sarris Interiors in LA. While I do like the plexi style, they get dusty throughout the race and have to be whiped off.