• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

GBRACER

So by a quick read of the rules a rotary would be allowed in this class as it meets the "watercooled " cc limitation. the rules do not sat "no rotarys"

Glen Greer

So the new body generation is not legal per all rule books . Wasnt Sealy the first to introduced the new body in Class 5 was their some kind of addendum not listed in any of these rule books allowing it? Glen

Zac Reish

So the new body generation is not legal per all rule books . Wasnt Sealy the first to introduced the new body in Class 5 was their some kind of addendum not listed in any of these rule books allowing it? Glen
There’s been several new body style cars. I’m all for the new beetle being used.

Hey glen. Class 5 is having a meeting in Anaheim at jakes fab works to discuss this years schedule. All the teams will be there if you have any concerns or questions. As well as a couple really nice jakes fab cars he built. Hope to see you there.

swiftracing5

Body rules have not really been enforced or policed(by us) in years, starting with Seeley and more recently the Subi. Most look the other way as it is not a "performance advantage", but as wheezy pointed out, the big guys would probably be able to drive longer/faster in a wider cab that they are not slammed shoulder to shoulder in.

Side note: I will be posting up a poll this weekend to get the discussion going on races for next year. It will go to my class 5 email list as well so if you did not get my email earlier this week please DM it on here so I can get you added! And FYI, SNORE has gotten in on the fun and agreed to a $1000 class bonus for any race we vote in from theirs schedule.

CHASETHISTOO

If it’s bone stock as delivered from the factory naturally aspirated and 2.5 liters or less it should be.
Have all the sanctioning bodies approved this rule yet? I believe MORE and SNORE have but have not seen anything for BITD and SCORE.

turbodon

Have all the sanctioning bodies approved this rule yet? I believe MORE and SNORE have but have not seen anything for BITD and SCORE.
Are you guys running a built engine?
Saw in the race report you pulled the hole-shot on Schweers. Was surprised to hear that given both cars are the same essentially, with the exception of them having a 2.5 vs your 2.4

Zac Reish

Chase and Schweer were both running modified 2.5 engines. Schweers would like the class to be a stock engine class. That’s what they told me at the race. I believe chase does want stock engines. He voted for modified engine rules.

Yes we raced for the first and last time for that built Tagged 2.5 engine, the rod letting go was not because it was built …. (Long Story) the engine was not too crazy of a Build, But we picked up just under 40hp and even more torque….on E85R there is a ton more we can do to pick up more safely … with that said… we have put in the car last week a 2.5 stock engine and will be racing for 2020 with a stock tagged 2.5 with what we learned with the built 2.5 is that we can get good HP safely … to grow the sport and Class I vote to go 2.5 Tagged Stock …. I am a drag racer and my moto is always “Bring It” line up and lets race!! But I can see in this case 2.5 stock is the best for the class IMHO … I can see an engine war where the ones with the most money wins … IMHO it is not the best for the Class……
Jon Schweers

Zac Reish

Thanks for posting Jon. I felt like I might be overstepping my boundaries speaking for you. So I appreciate the confirmation. In regards to my recent post I mistakenly posted chase does want stock. I meant does not. There are several others who do not want stock so this want not to put him in a bad light. It was just to post information I had in this thread.

dhjeepgeek

Stock. keeps it cheaper.

Radiobirdman32

I run a junkyard LE5 2.4 liter Ecotec so I really don't gain anything with the modified engine rules but it is an unlimited class and it doesn't seem like we should have to run tagged stock motors. Unlimited means "Bring it" to me. That being said, I think most races are won by consistency, good prep, good initial car design and suspension set up and, of course, excellent driving skill and experience, which is one of the reasons I love Class 5 U. Cheers! and congratulations to Travis and his team for the championship and their sportsmanship in helping a fellow racer, and to the Schweers as well for their tenacity.

Zac Reish

I run a junkyard LE5 2.4 liter Ecotec so I really don't gain anything with the modified engine rules but it is an unlimited class and it doesn't seem like we should have to run tagged stock motors. Unlimited means "Bring it" to me. That being said, I think most races are won by consistency, good prep, good initial car design and suspension set up and, of course, excellent driving skill and experience, which is one of the reasons I love Class 5 U. Cheers! and congratulations to Travis and his team for the championship and their sportsmanship in helping a fellow racer, and to the Schweers as well for their tenacity.
The engine war is what created a the standard $20,000 3 liter fat tyoe 4 time bomb which killed class 5 until 2012 when ecotecs were allowed in this class. Since then stock engines have been somewhat competitive with the hi po water cooled engines because of lack of R and D and no one other than the grabowskis have really created an absolute giant of a 5 unlimited. 1 car will never dominate desert racing becuase of how much has to go right everytime. but if we see 10 teams invest 100k into their engine and transmission which would be easy to do that will become the dominant standard after a short period of time.

I believe these cars should cost less than a class 10 to build, and be less to maintain. If they are not we will start to lose more racers to class 10. The stock engine will keep the price of the builds and maintenance as low as possible. These cars are so much faster than the average class 5 was 10-12 years ago and way more reliable. I don't see enabling people to build 3-400 horse power water cooled engines doing any good for the class as a whole.

We voted on this last September and the majority of the class agreed to keep the power plants stock 2.5 liter max water cooled engines.

Zac Reish

That was the problem, it was. It isn't anymore unless everyone wants to dump a ton of money into a car that isn't physically capable of going faster than class 10 cars.

Bro_Gill

So a turn key Jakes Fab car does not cost as much as a 10 car build? Just for curiosity's sake cause I think I heard what a turn key JF car costs recently. Parts wise, drive train is the same, I think the front end off a 5 car is more expensive if you are buying top of the line arms and spindles, etc... over most in house fab'd a-arms. Everything else looks about the same.