Class 5 only

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
By the looks of things it doesn't look like I'll be getting the car done in time for Parker. If anyone is looking for someone to pick up a lap let me know. Not 100% positive I wont get it done but figured I'd put out the offer incase.

DrZero

Reaction
Hi guys! Happy New Year.

I decided to update the Wikipedia article titled SCORE: Class 5. The original article was rated "stub" and looks like someone cut and pasted it from the SCORE rulebook at the same time they created about a dozen other articles of this type.

That's not really the way you are supposed to create Wikipedia articles, which are supposed to be "encyclopedic", meaning that a general reader who wants to learn about something can read the article and understand it. So use of highly technical jargon (or company specific terminology) is prohibited.

Anyway, the article cited no sources but SCORE, and was wildly inaccurate and out of date, with the latest links dating to 2009. A lot has changed since 2009 in Class 5, much of it is cataloged in the 256 pages of discussion on this forum, which is where I learned it.

So, even though I'm not the ultimate expert on Class 5, I have studied the subject, from a somewhat neutral point of view (ie: I don't work for Score or a buggy-builder) and so I felt I would give updating it a shot.

Obviously the rest of you can also update it, particularly any of you who have experience editing Wikipedia pages. Alternately, if you comment to me I will change it in the interests of having the best page possible (that's the goal for every Wikipedia page). If you do choose to edit it would be good to get a Wikipedia account, just like here it's considered the polite thing to do to make your changes under a handle, although purely anonymous ones are permitted.

But the bottom line is that all the Class 5 "Subject Matter Experts" who could improve this article are right here in this group.

This article is crying out for a picture. I can help add that (or, again, you can add it yourself, but it's a little tricky, multipart process). The rules for putting pictures in Wikipedia is that the copyright holders is supposed to donate them to Wikipedia. So, it would not be OK for me to just grab my favorite picture that has appeared in the forum and put it on the wikipage. However - if you are the copyright holder (ie: person who took the picture) then you can put it there, or let me put it there.

So, I was thinking it would be a fun New Year's 2020 task for us collectively to pick the Class 5 picture that best illustrates the Class. What is the "UR" class 5 baja bug?

Thanks guys, I hope this doesn't piss anyone off. I hope that the SCORE people realize that they don't own the WIkipedia page and can't turn it into a PR advert for themselves, even though they might want to. (This sort of relates to "SCORE Class 5" as the title. What's good is it relates to all the other "cut and paste" class articles they put up, but what's bad is Class 5 is more than what SCORE says it is (and in particular the SCORE rulebook is totally out-of-date and not being followed by SCORE (else a Subaru would not have been allowed to win the Baja 500).

Cheers! Happy New Year!

DrZero

Reaction
Thank you. I will do so! I was actually thinking of your car, because it's a microcosm of the evolution of the entire class, and it's green, and I like green stuff.

I have to take a break from editing right now, but will get to it no later than tomorrow.

5racer

Reaction
Thank you. I will do so! I was actually thinking of your car, because it's a microcosm of the evolution of the entire class, and it's green, and I like green stuff.

I have to take a break from editing right now, but will get to it no later than tomorrow.
omg dont use that car its green its ugly and it smells lol

ErikIrvine

Reaction
We broke the prerunner Zac and I were using 1 mile out of camp Sunday morning for the Parker Prerun, no surprise there. Bummed rides with Mike Belk and Ben Swift, thanks again guys for letting us be dead weight in the back of your golf carts.

A lot of razors, some really nice prerunners, even saw this dude with an open face helmet, fun times for everyone. Thanks again Mike & Ben.

Attachments

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Does anbody know how much to replace a smashed in RZR transmission? Parts and labor, asking for a friend.....

mgobaja

Reaction
Does anbody know how much to replace a smashed in RZR transmission? Parts and labor, asking for a friend.....
I would encourage your friend to talk to a team that races something with that same model, they might have a bunch of parts they are not using if they made upgrades for higher quality aftermarket stuff, if they even offer those pieces for transmissions.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Heres some video footage from day 1, eventually the camera breaks off. fast forward through the staging to get to the good stuff.

And day 2 the camera gets mudded over after like 2 minutes. so they are pretty quick watches.

And lastly some vintage grinch footage of a battle at primm race. I think this is when john willard and I had a serious whit knuckle battle. I didnt watch the whole thing yet.

Thank you Cory Anderson for digging all this out and getting it up

Bajawillie

Reaction
Just a few shots of the 2.5DI upgrade. New trans, new rear cage. Reversing everything around is a chore but happy it’s done. Still need to chassis dyno.... Turns out everybody is booked out because of hammers.

Attachments

JLongo

Reaction
I can’t seem to open the pictures but saw it getting done, your car turned out Really nice!
So can you still race it with the basic tune in it? (I hope so)

Bajawillie

Reaction
I can’t seem to open the pictures but saw it getting done, your car turned out Really nice!
So can you still race it with the basic tune in it? (I hope so)
I don't think so. The drive by wire has very little response, the idle is weird as it goes up and down, the thermostat comes on at 200 not 180. I know it's all fixable but I don't think it's safe to race this way.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
Maybe someone could just dump a tune into the ecm. Not the full dyno.

JLongo

Reaction
That’s a bummer, but I understand , hopefully see you at the next coalition race

turbodon

Reaction
I don't think so. The drive by wire has very little response, the idle is weird as it goes up and down, the thermostat comes on at 200 not 180. I know it's all fixable but I don't think it's safe to race this way.
Who's harness and computer set-up did you go with?
FWIW I could not get the fans to work right by controlling with the ecm. I rewired the relay to use a closed ground contact from a t-stat switch, and also have manual override on a dash switch.
If you have an E39A computer and harness from Steve, his dyno guy can probably get you in& out quick being that he's done half a dozen of almost the same set-up now.