• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

swiftracing5

Schweers boys finally secured a win at a huge coalition race. Problem free day and finished in clean air. Cool to see them on top.

Spitz team charged from the back and managed second. Coleman boys also shook off some bad luck and got 3rd.

Zac did Zac things and was about leading from the back of the pack. Had about 4-5 min lead on Schweers and handed off to Erik for the last lap. Erik got bit by Parker in the grinch on the last lap while leading and that’s all it took. Bent tie rod around the washouts at mile 80 that we changed at midway but the lead evaporated.

I went out aggressively knowing I’d likely be first on road and need to set the pace or get caught. Went to pass Sissum while on Griffiths bumper And in a pure racing move got clipped by Sissum since he didn’t know I was back there. Barrel rolled at mile 5 and landed on wheels. Grabbed gear and kept going. Got back on Griffith for the lead, gave him a tap and he let me by. Wasn’t driving overly fast but couldn’t see crap with the dust and sun yet came into a deep left and caught an edge trying to stay in the groove. Over again but landed firmly on roof. We start to get out, Cade Garcia is first to catch us and immediately stops and jumps out to help. He said there was a flash of fire so their instincts kicked in. No words can express how thankful I am to have people watching our backs, thanks Cade.

Anyways, we relay to team we are rolled but fine. Bitd is relayed and an hour later their chase arrives, turns us over, we have some laughs, give the engine a couple mins to get right, then fire it up. It runs. we regroup and buckle in then take off slowly. Have my dad at Pit A and he nervously looks over the car, looks fine other than cosmetics. He says “go get it”, so we do. Car ran fricken flawless that next lap, which makes it even more disappointing as Derek’s prep was on point so I know we couldve challenged for the lead all day.

I get to midway on lap 2, oil pressure warning is flashing while Derek jumps in to finish but I say f it and he soldiers on. Was probably a faulty sender as he pushed hard last lap to get his rocks off, and we were happy to bring it around for a consolation finish. Happy to be safe, disappointed in my mistake, but time to move on and get it fixed.

I also paid for the full heli and GoPro package, so that should be epic. Stay tuned.
A136FFF9-862B-4147-8683-6D9A3AB5DCAE.jpeg

84E0E264-5C5A-4F30-B15F-FE849B22B2AB.jpeg
F88A2ABC-14C8-42BC-8DDB-F97E02D8E91C.jpeg
3F6A267D-7DA6-4DA6-B6CC-BB3B3A01B08A.jpeg
C03350A2-A6AA-4F67-B047-0FBB56ADBFE0.jpeg
830C9847-025F-433C-8E02-6135E43A2343.jpeg

Zac Reish

Great write up Ben. Leave the bent tube and smash the roof out. You got to get a couple more crashes under your belt before you graduate to professional crash test dummy like Me. If you’re not crashing every now and then you’re not trying hard enough.

5racer

she is a race car now got some dents on her lol.i wasent about to hold anyone up ,our plan was to stay close and out of trouble save car and race the last half . was working good tell mile 60 and main seal oiled the clutch ,so i went into finish my half and give ray the bad news to just finish tried to stay out of way and let the cars pass as much as i could with out getting stuck sorry if i held anyone up ,sorry zac but you hit me so hard that i could shift into fourth gear with out clutch slipping so i gave you a rabbit lol but new what was coming and smart enough to get over .hats off to cade for stopping with ben ,you may have had a bad day but you gained a lot of respect ,and wow what a view we had in our mirrors i saw you coming and told my co-driver he aint gona make it next we saw your skid plate and the tires on the wrong side of the world then your lights and back on the tires we thought you landed on all fours so we kept going .lots of stories in this race .congrats to Schweers and all the others i enjoy racing with you all .

Race recap for us

We went into the race with a plan to take the first lap 80-85% just a solid pace about MM11 we saw a driver trying to slow us down before we got into a left hand corner we were driving right into the sun VERY VERY hard see, came around the corner and saw Cabe Garcia’s car and a car on its lid… I thought it was a 10 car ?? and Blue Ball was stopped behind a bush I looked in the rear camera and saw at was a beam car ??? I said **** that was Ben!!!! Then I saw Blue ball pull back on to the track behind us Chris asked “should we go back?” I said No Blue ball just left the scene, so they are ok … we kept our plan 80-85% pace (Very happy They were ok) and finished the race!!! about MM 75 ish Zach was on our ass he was flying !!!! he passed us like we were standing still !!!! about MM 110 we saw Zach had a flat so we got back in front of the Grinch about MM 135 Zach passed us one more time !!! Chris kept up with him tell I told him to “back off run your race,” we were only passed 2 times in the race and both passes were by Zach !!! dam good driver !!!! after pitting at Main we knew Zack had about 2 minute lead on track and Blue Ball was about 2 minute behind us, so I told Chris “ keep this pace” 2 lap was so odd??? we never saw a other car on track the entire lap….? Getting into Main Pit we were told it was close between Zach Us and Blue ball…. Zack was up on us about 4-5 minutes on track and Blue Ball was about 2 minutes behind us !!! when we started the final lap 3 Chris said “Time to GO” we thought we had an outside shot on catching Zach ?? it was more to get a gap on Blue Ball he started 1 ½ minute in front of us so we felt we could get a solid 2nd place, about MM 80ish in a wash we saw the Grinch stopped with a bent tie rod ??? we got to Midway Pit and Ben was there Helping us pit and giving us info we had about a 10 minute lead on 2nd when we got into the rocks about MM 120 I told Chris “ Back Down in the rocks because I was not feeling the best and to change a tire now would be a slow tire change” so Chris cut back to a 70% pace to the finish line, we had no issues with the car all day long !!! Zach had us covered all day and it was a bummer he had issues ….. I am supper Happy Ben and Cabe Garcia were ok after their roll overs … Big Thanks to Jakes Fabworks for all their support over the last 2 years Thanks to Jager, Tensor Tire, Danzio Performance, Dave Folts Transmission, Nils Castillo for the tune !!!! Ultra wheels, Figspeed and BiG THANKS to the WTF racing Team Off Road Division… for all their hard work!! Pits were fast and smooth, we improved our 2nd place time from last years race by 24 minutes.. Chris has a ton more to learn behind the wheel but is getting betting better every race.. Lastly Thank You BITD for all there hard work !!!

Jon Schweers

Ty Owings

Hey dudes! Huge fan of the C5U seen. Here is some pics from Pit 2.

Attachments

dhjeepgeek

With all the fun of Parker over this thread seems to be quiet. So, Parker was great fun until it wasn't. It appears the intake manifold gasket was crap on the number 4 cylinder and let the work inside my motor. So some of the motor wanted out. The bearing cap for the number four cylinder escaped and made it all the way to the skid plate. Needless to say it doesn't run well on 3 cylinders. Oddly enough it ran to get it back on the trailer. The new to me motor is ready to drop in the car. Just a few details to work on and then its a runner again.

dhjeepgeek

With all the fun of Parker over this thread seems to be quiet. So, Parker was great fun until it wasn't. It appears the intake manifold gasket was crap on the number 4 cylinder and let the work inside my motor. So some of the motor wanted out. The bearing cap for the number four cylinder escaped and made it all the way to the skid plate. Needless to say it doesn't run well on 3 cylinders. Oddly enough it ran to get it back on the trailer. The new to me motor is ready to drop in the car. Just a few details to work on and then its a runner again.

swiftracing5

We saw you parked out there and car looked clean so I had a feeling it was mechanical... bummer!

I’m in the middle of norra tear down. About as beat up as I thought so car needs to go to Jake’s to get both roof tubes replaced hopefully next week then start reassembly. Shock tower is bent from the second roll but we might do that after norra.

2187AB04-6B96-423B-BD24-436013F69E4F.jpeg

matt64

I am trying to find some suspension “guidline” to setup a 4 seat beam buggy I have. I have attached pics so you grt an ifea of more of what I am talking about. I think the closest the suspension is to a class 5 unlimited which is why I am posting here. If there is somewhere else i should be oosting this please let me know.

Was wondering if this looks close to where it should be if i should move shock collars and or dual rate collars. Car rides just ok until big whoops and then it is terrible. I have adjusted the rear bypass compression and tebound but havent triedit yet. But the front hve the turn click adjusters and seems like no matter where i go with them its either bottoming out or to stiff. And just an fyi pic of rear of buggy has sense been lowered for down travel on last pic of rear of buggy. All close ups of shocks are how they sit now. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Attachments

swiftracing5

I am trying to find some suspension “guidline” to setup a 4 seat beam buggy I have. I have attached pics so you grt an ifea of more of what I am talking about. I think the closest the suspension is to a class 5 unlimited which is why I am posting here. If there is somewhere else i should be oosting this please let me know.

Was wondering if this looks close to where it should be if i should move shock collars and or dual rate collars. Car rides just ok until big whoops and then it is terrible. I have adjusted the rear bypass compression and tebound but havent triedit yet. But the front hve the turn click adjusters and seems like no matter where i go with them its either bottoming out or to stiff. And just an fyi pic of rear of buggy has sense been lowered for down travel on last pic of rear of buggy. All close ups of shocks are how they sit now. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!
it’s a pretty complicated science and that’s putting it nicely.

Ride quality is related to the internal valving more than anything that is externally adjustable . Any idea what your valving is?

Zac Reish

Call king. Go out to outlet center drive and work with irebe from king. It will get you close if not dialed in one trip.

matt64

it’s a pretty complicated science and that’s putting it nicely.

Ride quality is related to the internal valving more than anything that is externally adjustable . Any idea what your valving is?

Yes, attached is the valving. Just trying to get at least close for this coning weekend. Will try and get setup to go with king for sure. I appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

swiftracing5

Like Zac said, king will do all the work for you. If you are trying to tackle yourself, rear bypasses need more compression valving. With any car, if you want to prevent bottom out, the car is gonna have to be stiff. Are your compression bypass tubes closed?

Fronts appear to have too much preload, you’d be better off with a 2” longer lower spring. Rates seem really close though.

matt64

Like Zac said, king will do all the work for you. If you are trying to tackle yourself, rear bypasses need more compression valving. With any car, if you want to prevent bottom out, the car is gonna have to be stiff. Are your compression bypass tubes closed?

Fronts appear to have too much preload, you’d be better off with a 2” longer lower spring. Rates seem really close though.

Im sorry, I may have explained wrong. Rears I just adjusted the bypass tubes to reduce compression as I have never used more than half the shock in rear.

Fronts seem to bottom out in rough stuff. If I use the click adjusters on front coil over, i can soften it up but it only creates it to bottom out faster even though the ride is now more plush. If more compression is added it still seems to me that it bottoms out but also makes the ride in all terrain rough. I was just wondering if moving the spring collars and or the dual rate adjuster up or down may help in front. I may just have to find out when king is going out next as it is probably hard from my explanation as i dont really know what its doing

Bajawillie

Your top spring in the front looks too short. Maybe change it to a 10" rather than the 8". Optimum preload is 2.5" for front or rear with the correct length springs. If the rear doesn't bottom out then you may have too much spring rate back there. I don't see much preload in the rear. Bottoming out means you are using all the travel so not a bad thing as long as its only hitting the ass in the big stuff. A stiff rear end will make the front feel soft as it tries to transfer the load forward. Good luck!

jon coleman

4 seats need 4 butts too, you testing w buddys?,( or strapped down bags of ready crete cement in gladd trash bags work good too),,

Bajawillie

For sure test the car with as many people as you normally drive with. Your set up will work good with either 2 people or 4 people but not both.