• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

dhjeepgeek

Ok, here are some pics. I don't want it to stick out too much. And they need to clear the tires too. Every race I clean some green off the bipass tubes. So, just a little guard is needed to keep my piece of mind. I took some scarp and mocked this up. I have seen other cars with way more built up on the front corners. The car already has a different look with the 3" shocks up front. I Just don't want to not have to replace the main shock body. Also it will make it safer for the shocks if and when I nurf someone.

Attachments

swiftracing5

Interesting. Yea I’d be worried about rubbing while the shocks are compressed and turning. Plus I’m a little guy so I’d need a phone book to see.

dhjeepgeek

The Bipass reservoir would hit the inside mounting. So it will have to stay outside. I am a bit larger, so I can see most of the time. Upper lights suck with the shock mounts like this. You get a nice view of the well lit shock mounts. Of course I will put the shock back on and cycle the suspension to check if it will hit. That's why I am mocking it up first. I am curious if Willard has ever had a shock get damaged, seeing his car was build like Peaches.

swiftracing5

The Bipass reservoir would hit the inside mounting. So it will have to stay outside. I am a bit larger, so I can see most of the time. Upper lights suck with the shock mounts like this. You get a nice view of the well lit shock mounts. Of course I will put the shock back on and cycle the suspension to check if it will hit. That's why I am mocking it up first. I am curious if Willard has ever had a shock get damaged, seeing his car was build like Peaches.
But what about your tires?

dhjeepgeek

I will see if the tires will hit or come too rear the new bars before I would weld anything. BFG 35s. Just because I have always been a fan of BFG tires. I don't have experience with any other brands.

dhjeepgeek

Yes 3" all around. When Wendell was having the car built, he wanted to go bigger and stronger. Hell, they wont fade or get too hot. I am not going to change them. Unless I destroy them or win the lotto. or both. Thanks TurboD for the pic of the SKM car. That is exactly what I was looking to do.

swiftracing5

Anyone have any good footage or stories to share since we are all wandering aimlessly lately ;) This is one of the only threads on the forum I visit now without closing the page mad.

Getting my car back together with no real plan is weird, NORRA in october falls on a wedding weekend so I am trying to decide friendship vs racing, typical. 1000 would be the ultimate goal but the change of pace with NORRA sounded appealing. Can't really do both especially with how uncertain things are now so gotta choose 1 if any.

Car is coming together nice, front arm was cracked after 2500 race miles so getting some new ones from Jake. Folts slapped me on the wrist for not automatically bringing trans after my rolls so I am getting that looked at now.

I hope everyone and family are doing well

here’s my raw heli from Parker. Seems like a lifetime ago lol

Last edited:

Ajam1

I have an issues with Steering!

Maybe you all have had this issue.
I just bought all new from Howe the 2.5 Diablo power rack with control valve attached. New Howe Pump, new Howe reservoir W/ filter/ New lines, fittings.. everything. I have bleed and bleed and bleed the system. No air bubbles in the res at ALL.

With car idling and sitting on the ground, it steers nice and easy, no issues. However, when I drive it and need to turn quickly it gets super stiff and I can't steer it. almost crashed the car actually.

Took rack off and took it to the manufacturer, it checks out. No issues.
Took everything loose and re-bled the system. same issue.
I keep thinking its either air in the system I can't seem to get out or some type of restriction.

My next step is to sent the pump and control valve back to Howe. BTW Jeff at Howe has been awesome in trying to help me. Just thought maybe someone on here has had same issue before.

swiftracing5

I have an issues with Steering!

Maybe you all have had this issue.
I just bought all new from Howe the 2.5 Diablo power rack with control valve attached. New Howe Pump, new Howe reservoir W/ filter/ New lines, fittings.. everything. I have bleed and bleed and bleed the system. No air bubbles in the res at ALL.

With car idling and sitting on the ground, it steers nice and easy, no issues. However, when I drive it and need to turn quickly it gets super stiff and I can't steer it. almost crashed the car actually.

Took rack off and took it to the manufacturer, it checks out. No issues.
Took everything loose and re-bled the system. same issue.
I keep thinking its either air in the system I can't seem to get out or some type of restriction.

My next step is to sent the pump and control valve back to Howe. BTW Jeff at Howe has been awesome in trying to help me. Just thought maybe someone on here has had same issue before.
Hmmm... could be the joints in your steering rod are not aligned properly. It’s like CVs, you don’t want the joints to be clocked the exact same. Need to be offset 90*.
Other thing is maybe you are getting weird spikes in pressure under load If you’re jumping hose sizes on your system.
I have had the issue of aligning the joints, more than anything it was just hard to keep the wheel smooth, kept wanting to flick left or right.
Any pics of your system?

JLongo

Nice video Ben, car seems to be working good even after the rollover!

I have the same steering set up but run the Honda where the pump is driven off a separate belt. My steering gets stif in the low RPMs, like if you come in a corner to hot and give a little to much brake. I just made the switch at Parker and need to dig into why. Yours seems to be the opposite which is strange.On the bleeding, a couple of lock to lock turns of the wheel and she’s usually good.

We are keeping ourselves busy with new belly pans & engine covers. I’ll post pictures when completed

Zac Reish

I crashed at the mint with what you're describing in your steering system. I was unfortunately going 80 plus mph. Car swapped out on a smooth power line road I corrected 1 time and could not physically turn the wheel fast enough as it felt like it ran out of power assist. I remember grunting trying to muscle it as I started to roll. I didnt initially put 2 and 2 together and didnt know how the hell I was able to crash where I did. I didnt want to make an excuse like my steering wouldnt turn right after the crash. Even my navigator was like what happened? I said I don't know. Fast forward 7 months later and I'm pre running in baja and I slide around a corner swap out again, go to re correct and completely spin out. I was going 30 miles an hour. Same thing navigator. What was that. Steering basically locked up. He then drove the car and it happend to him on similar terrain. I replaced the power steering pump and the problem went away. The pump had less than 200 miles on it when I crashed it. That sucked. Last pump was good for over 2000 miles and i started to feel the heavy wheel again when quickly correcting on fire roads. I have since replaced it. Try a different pump.