• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

Ajam1

I crashed at the mint with what you're describing in your steering system. I was unfortunately going 80 plus mph. Car swapped out on a smooth power line road I corrected 1 time and could not physically turn the wheel fast enough as it felt like it ran out of power assist. I remember grunting trying to muscle it as I started to roll. I didnt initially put 2 and 2 together and didnt know how the hell I was able to crash where I did. I didnt want to make an excuse like my steering wouldnt turn right after the crash. Even my navigator was like what happened? I said I don't know. Fast forward 7 months later and I'm pre running in baja and I slide around a corner swap out again, go to re correct and completely spin out. I was going 30 miles an hour. Same thing navigator. What was that. Steering basically locked up. He then drove the car and it happend to him on similar terrain. I replaced the power steering pump and the problem went away. The pump had less than 200 miles on it when I crashed it. That sucked. Last pump was good for over 2000 miles and i started to feel the heavy wheel again when quickly correcting on fire roads. I have since replaced it. Try a different pump.
That’s exactly the case. It definitely feels like it’s hydraulic. Like not enough pressure or flow. Everything is brand new 0 miles. 1,500 psi pump with the small control valve on it. It’s like it’s not flowing enough. I initially thought it was a air in the system problem. But I think I have rules that out. I’m confident it’s not a hardware/ set up issue.

Attachments

dhjeepgeek

My beam is like that too, It was turned down to make it thicker than 120 wall but thinner than 250 wall. Like a tweener.

swiftracing5

@Ajam1 can you post a pic of the pump area?
A buddy told me to check pulley diameter and make sure the feed line at the pump is larger, I think -10 on our cars whereas everything else is -8.

Last edited:

Ajam1

@Ajam1 can you post a pic of the pump area?
A buddy told me to check pulley diameter and make sure the feed line at the pump is larger, I think -10 on our cars whereas everything else is -8.
I do not. However, the feed line/return from reservoir to pump is -10. Pressure line is -6 and return from control valve/Servo to reservoir is -8
The torsion bar in control valve/Servo is 200.
1,500 psi TC pump, 3.5 gpm @ 1,700 rpm 5.5 gpm @ 4,000 rpm.
I do not know what the GPM on the control valve/Servo is.

Last edited: