Class 5 only

turbodon

Use off the shelf mounts that Kartek and McKenzies sell. I have a 2d also and have mounted a few others. If you use the off the shelf mounts for an actual 2d, the trans case will end up below the skid plate (Sand car style) If you want it to mount proper, use the 2d rear mount and an S4 front mount.
Also if this is an actual race car, I'd go direct to the supplier (lazer innovations) an have them cut the mounts out of 1/4" 4130 instead of the standard 3/16 mild steel.

Attachments

dhjeepgeek

Like Zak said. keep it centered and a 1/2" above the skid plate. The angle will effect the engine placement. So keep in mind the placement for other components for the engine. In other words keep the big picture in mind.

swiftracing5

Don’t take this the wrong way but axle angle could be considered a trade secret so builders might not tell you. I do know my hubs are slightly behind my trans flanges

Tim_Weston

So here is a little race recap of my first 5u race starting 1st in class I knew I had a target on our back and not really knowing how the more platform was we were a rookie in that aspect I get the green flag and I instantly catch the 12 car ahead of me in the single lane 50mph section and I follow him all the way to the green flags as we get ready to go full race pace spitz already passed us in the far left lane a bit frustrated we didn’t even get a chance to run I cross lanes over to follow him and see if we can hang it was fun and exciting we get to the first rd crossing and well Herbie just didn’t have enough to with only a 4 spd going up that hill I watch spitzs start to pull away at this point I start to realize I am having a hard time holding on to the steering wheel and there is a lot of feed back ( i hade done all my testing on bfg tires and for the race I bought new method wheels and tensor tires to finish off the Herbie look well the wider wheel and tire set up def didn’t make the steering system very happy) about mile 9 in the rough up down stuff I was struggling to hold on so we decided to take it easy and just make it through I saw Cade in my mirror and knowing he was gonna be fast I pulled over and let him go buy I watched him through the rough and saw the bottom of his car a few times and thought to myself let him go no need to beat up our car this early in the race shortly after Cade passed us I got a glimpse of that blue vw thing in my mirror and before you knew it he was right next to me he made the pass before we dropped into the wash but finally I could push harder and hold on to the steering wheel we make the 90 left that leads you all the way up to the wall and in the high speed rough we take our position back and start charging forward lap to unfolds the same way I’m the rough up downs we slow down because of the steering get passed and make the corner to head to the wall and pass again in the high speed bumps so I’m feeling pretty good in the car got a few laps under my belt I knew spitzs and Cade we’re battling it out start of lap three we notice the front pass side skid plate is falling so we pit and our guys rush to get the skid plate held back in place as I watch multiple 5 u cars pass we take off knowing we got ground to make up if we are gonna land on the podium I do two more laps and pass every car that passed me while I was stopped in the pits at this point in the race I figured we had 3rd locked up just hopping for the front runners to get a flat to give us a chance to get back in the game we stop to fuel the car and Chad dohrman jumps in the drivers seat it’s also his first beam car race every we usually split driving in his spec tt so this was a whole new type of racing for the two of us lucky for him the guys borrowed the bfg tires off the back of jimmy hook prerunner and they slap those on the front to help with the steering feed back issue we were having my hands hurt so bad I couldn’t grip my seat belts to pull them tight again I climb out and see how worn the rear tires are and we decide to put fresh tires on the rear the car takes off and chad keeps position the rest of the race he crosses the finish line and we are in third congrats you Cade and spitzs they ran a awesome race we got the car back and decided to put a 5spd in the car and upgrade to the bigger Howe rack and do some shock tunning I see where we fell short to be able to run the pace with the top two but by sept hopefully we go racing and come swinging the cars next race will be the gg lighting freedom cup and then we will hurry to prep for the sept race thanks to all the guys cheering us on out there I believe I saw guys like Zack and Dave Bonner course side cheering us as we drove by all in all first 5u race was a success family and friends loved being back in the desert if you didn’t have a chance we got a cool Herbie video of the race on my Instagram check it out

dhjeepgeek

It's too bad your out of state, When I was building new rear arms I went to a couple races and at Tech I slipped under a few cars and took picture, even measured a couple.
If that was wrong of me, well, I did asked first. Try looking at Instagram and other sources for pics etc. Jake's fab works has a boat load of pic out there. If you already had a trans in the car and the geometry worked, then it should be easier. Store bought mounts are easy. But what fun is that.

jon coleman

It's too bad your out of state, When I was building new rear arms I went to a couple races and at Tech I slipped under a few cars and took picture, even measured a couple.
If that was wrong of me, well, I did asked first. Try looking at Instagram and other sources for pics etc. Jake's fab works has a boat load of pic out there. If you already had a trans in the car and the geometry worked, then it should be easier. Store bought mounts are easy. But what fun is that.
tack it All up, cycle cycle cycle( then cycle some more...., you might hit Your sweeeet spot ;)

swiftracing5

1/2” of clearence between skid plate and bottom of case below ring and pinion, angle depends on engine, but as flat as possible in my opinion, make sure it’s centered obviously. Hope that helps.
Flat gets the weight lower but angled will allow slightly more GC.

Class10DAN

No biggie dude. I’ll figure something out
As my name goes, I’m mostly into class 10 (which is an understatement since I don’t do anything remotely near racing) BUT make fab works might be your best bet

turbodon

I’m too tired to tell if this is sarcasm or not
I honestly can't figure it out. Your name is class 10, which is what you're into, but that's an understatement? And you don't do anything near racing? I'm legitimately not understanding. Are you like a Class 10 fan only or something? Have you ever been anywhere near a race car, tools, or fabrication process? Based on the silly posts I've seen, I'm thinking no?

Guys this is not rocket science. I personally think Jake has the most bad to the bone chassis and final product if that's what you can afford and are into. If that's not what you're into, guys are winning and running extremely competitive on: Desert Dynamics chassis, seagroves, Cole Brooks, Lothringer, Crumco, Kibbetech, home-built, and Etc.

Mounting a transaxle is pretty straight forward. At full droop the axles should be perpendicular to the output flanges. This will put them slightly kicked back at right height.
The longer trailing arm you have, the less change in kickback angle from ride height to droop. This is my opinion, and mathematically equates to the least amount of true cv angle at droop.

Jfw cars and a few others I'm aware of are utilizing a 30" arm, many of the others are more in the 26" range. Crumcos & kibbeteck have closer to 23"
I have yet to see any correlation from arm length to wins. Plenty of wicked fast crumcos out there with funky short arms and their proprietary 0* pivot that no one else uses (and most people hate on) Cades car is lightning fast with narrow and short arms also.

I truly don't think there are any trade secrets. Heavy cars can win, cars with weird geometry can win, a brand new car with top of the line equipment can win, an old school car with a VW engine can win. If you spend 150K on a brand new car with top of the line drive terrain, and electronics, yes I think that's advantageous regardless of Mfg.