Class 5 only

Jake_Russell__

Well we snuck in for a last minute entry for the GG cup. Zero test time since having the car darn near down to the bare chassis and getting it fired up the night before.

Got there and sized up the competition, looked like we were running the Crumco Cup. We had Cade in their "spare" Crumco, Willard in his, and the Weston camp in their new Herbie Crumco. Allen Byma was also out in his JFW 5u but running in Sportsman class which was grouped with the 1600's

Our heat had (4) 5u's, (3) 10 cars, and 1 or 2 12's. We felt good in the practice lap and were able to stay right on the Herbie bugs bumper for most of it. Figured we'd be able to pluck them off for sure on the qualifying lap. (The JCB and Cade took off like rockets per the usual and were nowhere to be seen)

Qualifying did not go so hot. We were positioned for the outside corner of the berm on the 4 wide start, so we knew we'd need a massive hole-shot to be able to file into the mid pack position. I put the 2.5 on the rev limiter at 7100 and side-stepped the clutch. We inched on everyone, but it wasn't enough as the far position put us way up on the berm. Within about 45 seconds we lost the ability to use 2nd gear. Something was wrong but we kept plugging away jumping from 1st gear to 3rd. This put us WAY behind, but luckily we managed to finish our lap & get back without a tow. As we were driving through the pits the shifter went totally floppy and we were stuck in 1st gear.

Started pulling stuff apart and noticed something did not feel right with the front hockeystick shift shaft that sticks out of the front of the trans. Pulled the nosecone of the trans off and a huge broken piece of the hockey stick fell right into the oil catch pan. Inspected everything else that was visible, and shift rails & bearings all looked good. Hiked around to try to find a spare since the 2D uses the same part as a type 1 vw trans that the 9 car and 11car crowd run. Didn't have any luck. Called up my Mom and asked her to dig around in some boxes in her garage that have old VW goodies in them. She found one, but it was going to be a few hours until it could be brought out.
We called Folts who's shop was only like 30 minutes away and went and picked up an updated / stronger Weddle part. Got that installed just in the nick of time for the 1st motos.

Jumped back out there for the 1st motos and still had shift issues, but was able to do OK. Came back and played with the adjustments on the shifter to hopefully get it to shift smoothly. The bummer was that it's shifting fine in camp, but then acting up once hot. Made the adjustments and prayed it'd hold for the LCQ. At this point we needed to do top 3 in the LCQ or we'd get the boot.

Willard's boys were wheeling the JCB for the LCQ I believe. They jumped out front on the start, but we were barely able to file in ahead of the herbie. Was able to stay on the JCB as their pace seemed a little slower compared to John driving. It looked they started to have issues and pulled off, so we took the lead for the 5u LCQ heat. The (2) 10 cars were ahead, but that gave us the 3rd physical across the line we needed to move into the main event. Car was shifting flawlessly and was able to no-lift shift the poor little H-pattern 2d cracking close to triple digits on the back straight.

In between heats we went and walked over to the area where the big step-downs and step-ups were to watch our buddy in his 1600 car.
I realized by watching this heat hat the 1600 cars were flying off all the stuff that I was checking up for. I figured if those cars can take that abuse, mine could to, and we could pick up the pace.

Gave that theory a try on the main event. Cody positioned us far outside on the start again so i knew we'd file into 4th, and have to gain position out on the track. wheeled the 518 as hard as I could, threw it on 2 wheels, 3 wheels and was getting a little bit out of control at times. Cade ended up off the side of track with smoke coming from his engine, so we figured he was done. Willard pulled a pretty commanding lead so we knew needed find the right lines and pass the Herbie. This was tough as they were on their A-game and were mega-hucking the big jumps. I wasn't down for the big airs and we had the 10 cars on my back bumper and blasting their sirens. I wasn't going to let them by unless they earned it. They'd catch up, but then I'd run away from them in some sections. On the last lap we closed the gap again on Herbie and were within passing distance. They were creating a ton of dust making it so that we were blind in most of the in-field short course area. On the last high-speed stretch we were 6 inches off their bumper with nowhere to pass within the last thousand feet of the finish line. Something smelled funny but i wasn't sure if it was us or them. My car had been over-heated for last 20 minutes at 240* and still climbing so I figured it was us. They banged off the rev limiter for about 5 straight seconds and then slowed down slightly. We squeaked by at the last second and got the 2nd place finish.

Had a blast and looking forward to mashing it up with lots of 5u's at the PCI 300 hopefully.:cool:
I was driving the Herbie car all weekend. Great racing! On the last lap in the shortcourse I lost second and 4th and split the case in our little 4 speed. I had 1st and kinda had 3rd which is why you heard my banging off the limiter for 5-10 seconds. Coming into the last corner right before you got by me I tried grabbing 3rd gear to hopefully be able to keep you behind me on the straight. but it just wasn’t there and the car stalled and had to let you guys go and limp it across the line for 3rd. That’s two 3rds in two races for Herbie so we’ll take it. See everyone in September for the coalition race where Tim and I will split time the car.

dhjeepgeek

The next MORE race has two places to check for class 5u. Is the consensus going to be the 5 and dime shootout. Last race Cody bumped it to this race due to lack of interest. I'll throw my money into the pot if that's what everyone wants to do. I just need to get to the finish line this time. Getting tired of getting towed back. Friggin Trans, Engine, oil cooler.

ErikIrvine

I signed up for the " Weddle Industries Five & Dime Shootout "! We get our own 239 video, get to qualify, and get a better payout!

dhjeepgeek

Class 5 is the first on the MORE entry list to 10 cars. I am really looking forward to this race. Finishing it in good standing would be good too. Ok, finishing it.

ErikIrvine

Zac working on Kenny's car this morning
20200815_080338.jpg

Zac Reish

Hell yeah this beast is coming along! Watch out class 5. And Matt Coleman you’ve got some serious type 4 Comp coming your way. Can’t wait to take this for a test drive. Need to mount the hood bolt the rest of the parts on and fire it up.

Attachments

5028 Race Report V2R 2020

Chris drove 425 miles of the 514 miles I drove the last 89 miles we had 3 Flats and fought a great Hernquist team for the first 300 or so miles? Chris and Trey fought it out !!!! most of the first 300 miles we were 3 minutes apart, early in the race Trey and Chris even went 3 wide with a 6100 truck in a corner!! In Pit 6 we pitted next to each other and both cars were in the pits together!!! So much fun Racing the Hernquist team Trey is a fast clean driver Much Respect for this team !!! the WTF team had Flawless Pit Stops all day but on the first Flat tire change the Car rolled off the jack and got bent, so Chris had to deal with that the other two flats and made them very long it just kicked Chris’s ass in the heat… we had a new Co Driver so Chris got out to help all 3 tires changes…. Beside the flats, it was a clean race the car ran like a top all day !!!Big thanks to Jake’s Fabworks for building a prepping this car!!! this was the first race I was in the driver’s seat for a very short time and WOW what a fun car to drive!!! Cannot thank our WTF racing Family for all their hard work …. We are talking about doing the Race on the 11th just 4 corner it.. and send it !!! we will know this week …… Photo By grantmohnphotography Thanks

Jon Schweers

Attachments

bhernquist

5028 Race Report V2R 2020

Chris drove 425 miles of the 514 miles I drove the last 89 miles we had 3 Flats and fought a great Hernquist team for the first 300 or so miles? Chris and Trey fought it out !!!! most of the first 300 miles we were 3 minutes apart, early in the race Trey and Chris even went 3 wide with a 6100 truck in a corner!! In Pit 6 we pitted next to each other and both cars were in the pits together!!! So much fun Racing the Hernquist team Trey is a fast clean driver Much Respect for this team !!! the WTF team had Flawless Pit Stops all day but on the first Flat tire change the Car rolled off the jack and got bent, so Chris had to deal with that the other two flats and made them very long it just kicked Chris’s ass in the heat… we had a new Co Driver so Chris got out to help all 3 tires changes…. Beside the flats, it was a clean race the car ran like a top all day !!!Big thanks to Jake’s Fabworks for building a prepping this car!!! this was the first race I was in the driver’s seat for a very short time and WOW what a fun car to drive!!! Cannot thank our WTF racing Family for all their hard work …. We are talking about doing the Race on the 11th just 4 corner it.. and send it !!! we will know this week …… Photo By grantmohnphotography Thanks

Jon Schweers
Congrats Chris, Jon and the WTF Team! Fun times for sure! Great to race with fun, clean, competitive teams... Looking forward to the next race....

dhjeepgeek

Course looks fun. Up some washes we went down last race. Looks like we will go up the old wall jump. Its been worn down a bit. Nice to go south a little toward the hammers area.

Last edited:

steve0we

Race week for TTW..... why am I even at work today? I wont get anything not race related done anyways! Daron Rardon is going to pop his cherry behind the wheel while the rest of TTW screws up everything in the pits. Mondays race report should be epic. The entire process is starting with Ben, Pete, Zac, Erik & I renting a RV later today. I hope the dealership isn't on RDC..... jajaja