Class 5 only

CHASETHISTOO

Car is still on the prep cart. Hope to have it on its wheels tonight and button up the last few things. Maybe even drive it down the street once or twice if i have time. haha

It'll probably see dirt Friday. See you all out there.

ErikIrvine

looking sexy LonGO!

CHASETHISTOO

You’re a gangster. Probably go out qual first and take the race wire to wire. You’ll be my hero if so. And I’ll hate you.
Shoot, i hope so! lol. But that area is your hood. Its going to be hard to beat you guys.

Good new is my shifter cable broke last night and not during the race. haha. Didnt even get to drive it down the street. Should have a new one by tomorrow.

steve0we

Can we get a moment of silence to reflect on this weekends race and the fact that Zac & Ben point blank had a huge can of whoop ass, a side of solid prep work mixed in with a dash of pre-running for everyone to enjoy?

Class 5 showed up for the 5 & Dime loaded! Well done everyone!

swiftracing5

The word I keep thinking of is Redemption
I won in Lucerne last year with Derek and was feeling good. Zac asked me to drive in Ridgecrest after that and I got a flat on the last lap while leading and Bean passed me with 2 horn honks. It was humiliating.

For Parker I still feel we had one of the best cars, drivers, and plan. And in a matter of minutes I had thrown the race away. It was rock bottom.

I asked Zac if he’d like to team up for the C5C finale in either of our cars. In a matter of hours we inked it and started planning. I remember one of the nights prepping we sat around late, eating pizza at his place and Gives me the nod. Says you have what it takes to beat these guys and prove you aren’t just a Baja racer(Zac was one of these guys). With 20 cars entered it was the race to prove it.

I always show up thinking I have a chance to win. But this felt different. We had a really good chance to win this thing. So we took it very serious. Prep was thorough. Testing was thorough. We Preran the course 4 times. Ive been keeping my body in shape for months. I wanted this so bad.
I was slated to qualify as that was who has to start the race.

I go out smart but not dogging it, we are 5th but only 3 seconds off Cade for the start order. I knew I was in the Fast train so as long as I didn’t get passed I knew I’d put Zac in a good spot to bring it home. Cory, Zacs corider, and I had never been raced together but we had instant chemistry. We ran smart in thick dust for 100 miles, 2 close calls that we shook off. Then at Bessemer lap 2 we turned the screws. By mile 30 I saw Cade then Spitz within the crosshairs. With rare clean air it all came down to the end of lap 2 where I made up about 30 secs on Spitz and pulled into the driver change within 5 seconds of him and 30 seconds of Cade. We had both on time but being egotistical dudes, it had to be settled by pulling in to the finish first physical.

Zac Told me if I kept him in the hunt with a solid car he would do the rest. And the rest was done. Zac pulled in as first class 5 with Cade on his a—.

We worked so hard for this. Cade and the desert made us push our limits, it’s how it should be, and we won the biggest race of the year.

Who knows how the next race will go, as Zac is already pressuring me to race rage and keep my mojo going, but for now I’m just purely stoked. Thank you Zac, thanks Daron for the quick and SAFE pits, thanks Steve for the virtual coaching, thanks to Erik for racing his car and opening up the seat for me. I hope Zac still views me as an ally because i love this team.

E30120FD-7972-42EA-AFB0-4432628DB8AF.jpeg

JLongo

Congrats Zac & Ben, you guys are looking like a pretty potent team! We knew Zac was fast but Ben is haling the mail too!
I cant seem to make a clean first lap to safe my life. Qualified ok and started behind Tim/Herbie. Man that was the dustiest first lap in a long time. Tim stalled it in a corner and right when we caught up my car stated to sputter and GPS shut off. Pulled over switched batteries and everything came back to life. I knew it was the alternator just not sure if it died or the cable broke. We saw LJ pulled over so we stopped to see if he would check it out. He confirmed it was broken cable , I felt relieved and knew we could fix it quick. We ran a couple more miles to the wall and found a pit to help us. Between all the great help in the pit and my co dawg Eric they make a kick butt fix on the broken cable that lasted the rest of the race. From there we just drove around and passed a lot of cars keeping the gap as close as possible to salvage some kind of decent finish. I got out on the last lap and Mason Cullen got in to finish her off.
Can’t thank Gil & Cade Garcia & team, Eric, Ron Weddle and Boyd crew. Had a great time with some great people What else can you ask for.
D2B2643F-D22B-41E1-9C55-E730B6267B2C.jpeg
AC544A73-7440-4104-A96F-CF5BA390E9E5.jpeg

Tim_Weston

So race morning we set out to qualify and I wasn’t sure how hard to push I felt we ran a clean run but the last uphill section I missed the shift and the car lost all momentum and that killed it going up the hill we started (10th and I decided to play it smart knowing I didn’t prerun like I should of had some stuff happen before the race and I thought it was super dusty got to play it safe lap one the car was feeling good picking our way through the dust and like jerry mentioned about mile 22 came into the corner and I thought we lost the motor car wouldn’t run or fire back up about the time my co driver unbuckled to take a look the car fired off and we were in motion I looked in the mirror and there was Jerry I ran through the gears and never lifted hoping he would catch me about the time we got to the wall I noticed the car just seemed to bottom out over bumps I didn’t think it should we continued to push and it just got worse and worse lap two sucked because we just drove around trying not to hurt the car lap three we stopped and added compression to the front bypasses and that really didn’t help Jake got in the car and I told him good luck because I didn’t think the car would stay together the rest of the race taking the beating it was last lap we pulled the car in and closed off all the tubes and Herbie was off on it’s way bummer we didn’t get to race hard for a top spot but a finish is a finish wasn’t our day learned a few things the last two races I played it safe lap one to try and be a smart racer and play the odds but man there are so many talented class 5 racers I think we are just going to have to go for it from the green flag and hopefully it will stay together and we can come out on top congrats to Zack and swift for a great run look forward to battling it out with everyone at rage

Attachments

Zac Reish

Hey guys thank you for sharing your stories.
Long story short our day went perfect. Ben ran 2 perfect laps. Our pits were efficient, the car ran perfect, and we had a little luck on our side with all the dust and how easily it would have been to pop a tire due to lacking visibility. ALL DAY! I’ve had some really close racing over the year in short course with John willard but nothing like open desert and awful dust close racing for several hours. I’ll never forget last weekend.

swiftracing5

Hey guys thank you for sharing your stories.
Long story short our day went perfect. Ben ran 2 perfect laps. Our pits were efficient, the car ran perfect, and we had a little luck on our side with all the dust and how easily it would have been to pop a tire due to lacking visibility. ALL DAY! I’ve had some really close racing over the year in short course with John willard but nothing like open desert and awful dust close racing for several hours. I’ll never forget last weekend.
Oh come on, that’s all we get??

Zac Reish

Ben lets face it you're the star of the show in last weekends race. Maybe I'll muster up the discipline to give the play by play this weekend. I'm just enjoying life without working from 5am to 8-10pm 7 days a week, my family, and business that is getting the attention it needs. Off road racing is a drug and the last 2 weeks was a black tar heroin bender.

turbodon

We got what we came for, a great time and a solid finish. Finished coolant lines for the new radiator Wednesday night and got axles and new CV's installed. Was a real late night. Hit Johnson Valley first thing Thursday morning to dial in the shocks with Wayne at Alltech. Car seemed really fast out there, but in retrospect their test course is pretty mild compared to the blown out 2 track & race course out in the desert.

Drove home, picked up the wife & kids to turn it around and head right back out Friday morning with the intention of course pre-running. Got the car off the trailer and discovered the cab was full of fuel. I instantly went into a panic as I knew something was very wrong. Pulled the seats and firewalls out to find that the new fuel cell was leaking out of the top of the bladder on both sides. Messed with that for several hours trying to get it to seal up and finally got it to hold & put everything back together. Went and made a pass down main, got bucked up on a big hole, stabbed the throttle pedal real quick and snapped it clean in half! Great! Limped back to camp at idle and started brainstorming on how I'd repair this. By this point it was dark out, pre-running was not going to happen, and I needed to figure out how to get the car to tech. Another late night jacking around with the car till about 10:30 in hopes the repair would hold for the race.

Felt like we had a pretty clean race other than 1 flat tire, and a bent rear brake rotor. The brake rotor cost me some decent time as I caught a rock around RM11 that bent the hell out of it, was able to straighten it decently with a crescent wrench. Other than that caught a decent rear nerf out of nowhere from the 6166 of Jeff Bader. This nice little slam crunched the header and bent it down low enough to rip the wiring out of the o2 sensor. Engine still ran OK, but needed a few periodic power-downs & restarts to keep the computer happy. After a couple laps the rear shocks faded out and even the medium size holes would try to buck the car up & spit us out, so we settled in at our country club steady speed. In a few spots where I could get clean air I'd open the full-cab 2.5DI up and we'd see north of 100mph,that was a rush..... Anyway, Thanks everyone for a fun event and congrats to the podium guys on their big purse pay-outs. Hope to catch you guys at another race soon.

On another note, looks like Snore & MORE had a divorce and are not sharing the RATR event this year? Looks Like MORE will reschedule the previously cancelled Transaxle Engineering Challenge the week before the RATR event. Where are the 5u guys gonna go?

ErikIrvine

Steve Tyo, Trevor Hudson, and myself decided to switch from class 10 back to our roots of class 5 this morning, and went and bought the old Byma car this afternoon. Stoked to be back.

I haven't owned anything but Jake's car the last 4 years, and I am happy to keep it that way!
20200923_165021.jpg

Bajawillie

Good move E.
Rage is going to be EPIC!!!

Zac Reish

2021 is going to be a great year for class 5. Super excited about this. Erik and Steve Tyo are long time 5 unlimited racers, we've all shared some big wins together. Looking forward to helping them get some of their own and in the process if the opportunity arises caving in their perfect rear bumper. No matter what when you hang around these two there is never a dull moment.

McCredie A

Question, will Erik put a $100 prize on his own rear bumper??? lol. I went and checked it out last night. It is a great looking car. These two will bring it to the next level and be ready to compete.