Class 5 only

JLongo

Congrats Eric & Steve! Can’t wait to race you guys next year.
So what is the early favorites for the 3 coalition race for next year?

Zac Reish

We usually post what we’d like. Pick 3 races you’d like Jerry. I haven’t looked at scheduling. But off the top of my head I’d pick Parker. That’s a super fun race. I’d love to do Ensenada to San Felipe, and long loop in ridgecrest or Lucerne. Or one short course race. We haven’t done bap in a long time.

swiftracing5

Early idea is

parker
More spring
More fall
Rage

1 race will be a throwout

id like to make the more fall race a double points race to juice the numbers for MORE. Hopefully we can get them to do another shootout as well

ErikIrvine

What is the highest HP engine legal in C5C? Honda? 2.5? 2.4? I know HP isn't all to consider for an engine, but we've been out of the game for awhile and need to catch back up in the 411 dept

Attachments

swiftracing5

Probably a T4. If you’re talking watercooled, The coalition requires completely stock engine and components and I’ve heard the Honda is a dog under those circumstances. So I’d say ecotec di

JLongo

Easy Ben, my Majors Honda isn’t a dog! Actually the numbers are pretty close from what I hear. I’ve driven both, coming from 1600 & 12 cars the Honda seems a better fit for me. My only recommendation is don't scrimp on the ECU & wiring

turbodon

How much does a majors k24 cost? And would it be considered c5c legal?

A 2900cc type4 can do 250hp / 240tq but it’s going to cost probably 25k.... no thanks.

I like my 2.5DI. Best part is, they’re very low cost.
Mine is a $400 junk yard engine and made 190hp/192tq to the hub. Now that Shawn’s done several others, I believe he has a gasoline tune that peaks 200hp now.

Let’s have a measuring contest post up your k24sheet :eek:

Attachments

JLongo

As far as I have been told my motor package is Coalition legal. It is also legal in Score, MORE & SNORE in class 10. Not really sure what Andy is charging at this point but all my dealings with him have been very good. I bought my package used from a 10 car guy. Unfortunately I didn’t get a print out when my car was dynoed and every dyno will be somewhat different.They had a Danzio DI 10 car with the same trans as mine on the dyno the week before and was told the K24 has 3 or 4 more HP than a 2.4 DI Danzio but was 5 ft lbs less on the torque.
I agree its hard to beat the junk yard package with stock ECU for cost. I personally have had terrible luck with that route and that’s what landed me with the Honda.

swiftracing5

What ECU did you go with? And What does majors do to the motor?

didnt mean to talk smack, just what SKM told me. Doing my due diligence now!

Last edited:

ErikIrvine

Yeah easy Ben! Take it easy on us old guys

Zac Reish

Just curious. Am I the only one who was unaware that we can not have redline other Danzio rebuild my ecotec engine. And we are only allowed to buy junk yard 2.4 di or a gm remanufactured engine?

Originally I was going to go to the 2.5 back in 18 but because very few people had gone to the 2.5 I was having a hard time finding reliable info. So I went to the regular 2.4 di junkyard and life ecu through Danzio. I get 163 to the ground on pump gas and 171 to the ground with 76 station e85

I have had 100% reliability with this platform. I don’t want to go to the 2.5 due to having to reconfigure and cost. I can get a balanced and blue printed rebuilt redline engine through redline for $6,000 and according to them due to it being balanced and blue printed get another 10hp. However Ben swift said I’m not allowed I have to get a junk yard or a rebuild without it being balanced or blue printed. Was everyone else aware of this rule. Keep in mind this is a class 10 legal set up that gets sent to turn key to be verified as stock spec.

The do’s are not easy to find I. Real good comdintion anymore nor are they $1,600 rather for a 30,000 mile or less long block. Mines got 3 seasons so I’m thinking it’s probably time to look for a replacement or new game plan

swiftracing5

To be clear:
In 2020, Drew Belk pledged quite a bit of his own money and we hit up Kartek and Jakes for support if a “stock engine” sub series. After getting turned down at MORE, SNORE, and BITD with our 2019 rules proposition we figured this was the only way to prove that we are serious about stock engines being the reason this class is at this point and will keep growing. we hoped a consistently big turnout that supported stock engines that we could “self police”(lol) maybe they would give our rules a chanc

As it was 90% Drew’s money and idea, the points were kept track be me but his idea was-

stock 2.5l or below
type 1 or 4 all legal
Open to MFG
no tag required
91 pump or below(fuel samples were taken this year)
Throttle body must match original engine
No head work, cam work, no upgraded injectors
ECU open
As stock as possible without the hoopla of a tag even though the orgs still use this method

You are still eligible for org points but we are trying to drum up interest and support for stock(junkyard or crate with seal and tune). It is not official class 5 rules.

If this caught you off guard like Zac then please state your argument here or at the October 17 meeting if you can make it, then we will discuss if this will continue in 2021.

If this idea gets controversial we will get rid of the prize money as it was Drew’s idea and money to support his and my hard earned plan to push stock engines to the orgs. Will still do trophies because everyone likes those.

hopefully this sheds some light. Flame on

JLongo

No worries Ben and thanks Erik not sure your in the old guy category yet but appreciate the thought!
I know the Honda is used less and not as much info out there. Mine has a MoTec ECU and again I bought my complete package used so not totally sure what Andy does. It was & still is sealed from Majors. We have only leaked it down and adjusted the valves. From what I hear you can buy a low mile K24 and Andy will leak it down to make sure its good, adjust the valves and add the brackets for PS & belt tensioner Along with adapters & flywheels. Andy is a good dude and I’m sure a quick call and he can give you the scoop.

I agree Zac, it is getting hard to find good low mile 2.4 DI‘s. I didn’t know the engine couldn’t be rebuilt either but I’m pretty new to the coalition.
The last one I found was 1850.00 with 50K miles on it. And the Danzio life ECU seems to be very reliable, I think we lost 3 DI motor using the stock ECU and finally gave up. This dates back to the earlier tunes in my 10 car. It sounds like they are better now and give a low cost option to the class. I think we are getting to the point where a stock rebuild may be needed for the guys not wanting to upgrade to the 2.5. Just my 2 cents

Zac Reish

10-4 Ben. Thank you for the clarification. I Was fully aware of the no head work, cam that would put compression outside of legal or components that are not stock. I was unaware of redline/Danzio not allowed to rebuild to stock spec class 10 rules. If the majority is against this then I can accept what the group wants.

swiftracing5

The key phrase we talked about is “rebuild with stock parts”. It’s fuzzy but that’s the idea. I see your argument and we will see what people think.
There is monkey business with class 10 motors and tags, everyone knows. that’s what we want to avoid.

Bro_Gill

There are many things that can gain HP on a rebuild that would meet the rules, but not the intent. Like lightening pistons to the lightest single piston you can find out of many motors. Same with rods. Might need to deck the top of the block and maybe flatten out the head since the rebuildable ones were not ahem, straight enough, right? Thinner head gasket, etc... and you gain 10-20 hp with a 'stock' rebuilt motor. There were grand new motors getting rebuilt a few year ago in 10. Same with 6100 until some folks finally got sick of the cheating.

Zac Reish

There are many things that can gain HP on a rebuild that would meet the rules, but not the intent. Like lightening pistons to the lightest single piston you can find out of many motors. Same with rods. Might need to deck the top of the block and maybe flatten out the head since the rebuildable ones were not ahem, straight enough, right? Thinner head gasket, etc... and you gain 10-20 hp with a 'stock' rebuilt motor. There were grand new motors getting rebuilt a few year ago in 10. Same with 6100 until some folks finally got sick of the cheating.

Good food for thought bro. I appreciate you pointing those items out. I am all for a level playing field with engines. I do want a reliable engine and if the di’s are getting older and older and harder to come by and we are not allowed to rebuild then I guess the 2.5 is the natural progression from Here.

Thanks for the response homies.