Class 5 only

Zac Reish

Reaction
It’s bruckmans car with better front suspension. This car has so much bottom end strength. Such a fun Car to drive. She’s a stick of dynamite if you don’t know how to use her.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Added 2” of travel up front. He had a 2.5 bypass with a rubber bump stop. The suspension was not optimal. I copied the shock mounts jakes fab works front shock mounts I had in the grinch, cut out about 10lbs of old bent front bumper and made a newer more sleek looking front bumper.

Last week we Added a Baja designs light bar and cut the old hella hid light mounts off.

Car looks good and works great. Kenny had some new driver blues last weekend and plowed a big square rain rut resulting in bent tie rod, elxploded wheel, broken steering rack. Miraculously the Zacs Hack Works front beam didn’t bend or crack.

Attachments

• 15C8F93A-A1B5-453E-AC62-88188AFE3363.jpeg
    15C8F93A-A1B5-453E-AC62-88188AFE3363.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 304
  • FD34B699-4515-4A6F-BA99-1F115D94C9D1.jpeg
    FD34B699-4515-4A6F-BA99-1F115D94C9D1.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 248
  • 2008E169-E055-4E3C-B3BE-FDE49ACD8A42.jpeg
    2008E169-E055-4E3C-B3BE-FDE49ACD8A42.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 240
  • 71997E99-541E-493D-9732-6E3E26DC3BE0.jpeg
    71997E99-541E-493D-9732-6E3E26DC3BE0.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 223
  • 830B828B-AA78-4CD2-803F-7E12A839AF50.jpeg
    830B828B-AA78-4CD2-803F-7E12A839AF50.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 217
  • AA0A40AF-1CB5-4F5E-93AE-4C583C4FDD46.jpeg
    AA0A40AF-1CB5-4F5E-93AE-4C583C4FDD46.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 255

promer

Reaction
We are looking for a new navigator/team member for the Parker 425 and the rest of the season. Please message me to discuss details. This is not a free ride. We want someone that's committed and want's to go for the win every time we race.

Attachments

• 27629019_10215668778812166_996184180722942607_o.jpg
    27629019_10215668778812166_996184180722942607_o.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 171

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Sweet pic Ray!

swiftracing5

Reaction
Need to type out my story before work and real life takes over again!
I had the opportunity to drive for Greg Sullivan in the baja 1000 this year. Up to this point, Greg and I had a very enigmatic relationship. He was a competitor first and foremost, and he really wanted to beat me. And thus, I really wanted to beat him. In 2018 we had a long battle at the 1000 that ultimately was decided at mile 700 when he had a CV issue. Just epic. After that race he sat in my car and said he was in the market for something faster so he could put up a better fight. I thought I had him sold on JFW, i mean, we did just beat him in one. Next time we saw eachother he was very vocal about not being part of the Jakes "gang" and wanting to be different, but also to beat us JFW guys. Obviously, I have immense respect for the whole JFW program, so these words from Greg did not bring us any closer to being friends.

A couple months go by, we text here and there, and I come to find out he found a Penhall chassis and he is going to buy it and have Jerry finish. We joked(I thought it was a joke) about calling it the JFKiller. Jerry had quoted us on a car and we ended up going another route but Jerry and my dad have a long history racing together and being friends outside the desert, so there were weird parallels starting to develop. Greg and Steve Tyo are buddies with racing history together so Steve has always nudged me to get in touch with Greg about teaming up. It finally started to come together when this years 1000 was changed to a loop and we pulled our car from the race. Greg's son Mikey is a couple years younger than me and had not had much seat time driving in a race, so Greg also wanted someone to ride with Mikey to coach and teach. I first hand know how hard it can be to learn from your dad once you get past the age of 20, when you realize you are not your dad and want to have your own style behind the wheel. Zac had been approached previously to help and ride with Mikey in 2018 but declined for his own reasons, which also bummed Greg out.

So Greg made the formal offer and the plan was to drive his brand new Penhall in the "middle leg". I went out to Havasu a month ago to shake down the car and feel it out. They have a small sandy test loop and the car worked well but was a different feel. The main differences for me was going back to BFG tires which I had bad luck with, and a 2.5 engine. I felt really good after about 25 miles driving it, we found some big hills to climb and it was a tractor.

As the plans and people involved changed, Greg said hey I would like to you ride with Mikey in his section as well. I was 100% in. I would drive from MM200-440 and ride with Mikey from 680-820. My section included the El Coyote/Meling Ranch challenge, and Mikey would be driving over Molino Pass which is gnarly. I had never done it but he had which was a blessing.

I wasn't able to hop in on Greg's prerun so I only saw about 50% of my section, and none of Mikeys. Plus we are not TT ballers, so we don't prerun at night like we should.

Jerry starts the race, he has some issues with the shifter coming apart and clutch pressure. But the dude is Baja royalty and has more miles than most down there, so I had no doubt I will get the car. He is even ahead of schedule by an hour from my guesses, so Mikey and I scramble to get ready and inside the car. Jerry takes care of the shifter and clutch while we get in. And just like that I am back on course, running the 2020 Baja 1000. We inch up on a 7 truck in the pavement section, he brake checks us and we drop a gear and pass LEGALLY. Point made, and position taken. Mile 200-260 is mostly fast, weaving along graded wash, along some farm land, and the car is eating it up. We pass about 5 cars easily and clean. Around 280 we catch some dustmakers and the pace slows, we try to be smart but keep the pressure on as I know Hernquist is within 15 minutes. We are tractoring through a sand wash in the dust and we see Hernquist stuck... we are in the lead! We clear our visual pit at 300 which was a circus and head east towards Melling. Car was still on rails, the BFGs at a lower PSI mixed with the low end of the 2.5 had us booking up sand washes. About mile 320 we get into the technical hills. Everything is fine, we tip toe and conserve. At that moment I started to have my mind wander, thinking "is it my day?" Then boom... we come around a corner at mile 335 and see a warzone. Cars upside down, cars on their side blocking course, cars stuck. I saw oh F---. here we go.

Mikey hops out and patrols, he says there is no way around until a 6100 truck gets pulled over. They find someone nicer than us and they yank them over, we have enough room to clear them so we idle to the bottom of a decent sized silt climb, nothing that car couldnt handle. So we hammer it, then we see the issue, there is a 10 car stuck half on the course. We bounce around them to the right, making noise and dust, clear them, jump into the line and the cab fills with dust, CRAP, cant see, I see an opening and dart left, course goes right...

Next thing you know we are in the trees, stopped. We try to reverse out, nothing. Mike gets out and starts digging, Nothing. I get out, we use stuck stix, nothing. We find rocks sticks, bedsides, nada. And the car was not stuck up to the chassis before, but now it is. We see 501 and 507 drive by, so we lost what we worked so hard for, now we are in a completely different battle.

Mike starts to stop traffic to ask for a tow, no luck. I find McNeil team fixing their truck and say they will help once they fix the truck, so I wait around to make sure they don't drive away without helping. I mean, if it wasn't obvious, we were screwed. I had been told a Jeep was coming in, it wasn't. The slower classes start to make their way up the hill, and I have UTV say they will help tow us out. I ran about 250m ahead of them to show them the turnaround spot, they say no way and drive off. I walk back to the car dejected and there it is, the gift from god, a chase 4runner with a winch. He is stuck on the hill himself, and is trying to get to a class 11 to help them. I get on my knee and pray they will help, they calmly says yes. So we help them get unstuck, at that point we had been there from 11PM to 2AM, so we were tired. A rzr race car comes bombing up the hill as we are about to hook up our car and rolls next to us... great. So we winch them over get them going, Then a class 11 gets stuck, blocking our extraction plan... great. So we help push them out and finally it's our turn. The winch and extraction took 5 minutes, amazing. I am borderline in tears. We get suited back up and it is 3AM at that time, so about 4 hours in BFE on a hillside. I radio Greg that we are moving again, Hell yes.

We need a splash at checkers pit in El Coyote in order to make it to Valle T but they are not answering which is concerning. We pull up to their pit which is still there at least and lay on the horn. We see guys stumble out of the tents in boxers and PJs but they grab the can and splash us, look over the car, give us some water, and we are off. It was awesome. Mikey and I settle back in and make our way into Valle T with a decent pace, knowing 507 is 4 hours ahead and hearing Bill had crashed out. I wanted to get the car to Greg and 440 and let him decide on the strategy, so that is what we did. We made it into 440 about 6AM with the sunrise, not a scratch on the car but a bruised ego.

Greg takes off on a mission, he wants to eat into that 4 hour lead and see if those guys will make a mistake. It is his old car and team after all that we are racing against. By the time Greg makes it to 680 for Mikey and I to get back in, we had the lead down to 2 hours. I settle into the other seat this time, and we take off. The car is still boogeying. Mikey finds a solid pace through SF and we are making good time. I can tell he is cautious but he listens to all my advice and the miles start flying by, he is putting the tires where they need to go and really impressing me. The terrain changes as we near the summit and it is 1st gear GNARLY for about 40 miles. Mikey was relaxed, not a single error or close call and as the sun sets we are back descending towards the last pit. The car is still clicking along and before you know it we are back onto the pavement for the last stop. Mikey give me a fist bump as I jump out, Greg is back in the car to finish with his son and he takes off on a tear, AGAIN, it was awesome. We all head to the finish and realize the 33 hour trainwreck is ending. Greg pulls in, about 2 hours back of 507 still who earned every bit of that win, gives a solid speech and we have a cold one before heading back to camp.

Thanks to Greg for the opportunity, it was my first baja guest gig and I wish it went better but that is Baja for you. Another second place for me, but it was not looking good for us for a couple hours during the night so a finish is great. Glad I could deliver the car to Greg and get some seat time with Mikey. They will be fast in that car, hoping to see them race with us up here soon but I know Greg would really like to get a SCORE title first.

I am already looking forward to the challenge again, and hopefully coming out on top this time.

IMG_0382.JPEG
IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg
IMG_4598.jpg
IMG_4603.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4624.jpg
IMG_4641.JPG

Big Whitey

Reaction
Great write up Ben. it was a pleasure having you on our team. I think you fit in better with us than those other guys lol we are looking forward to teaming up together again.
For me it was a fantastic race, I had 2 cars entered and we went 1/2. The Penhall car only had about 150 miles of test time on it and we finished what is said to be one of the roughest B1K ever. I‘m super proud of both Of my teams for all the effort each one put in. Baja is a amazing place that can provide both the highest highs and the lowest of heartbreak. To have both cars go 1/2 was one of the highest. Thinking we were out due to being stuck in what seems such a simple way drops you to the lower side for sure.
Thanks Ben for joining us,

Last edited:

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Such an awesome story Ben, thanks for writing.

promer

Reaction
Who are you guys using for suspension tuning? I've got a mix of King and Fox shocks so can't utilize the free King tune day's. Need to get this done before Parker.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Sdg, Hoffman, Jake Johnson. Are a few options.

When will your car be ready? You should bring it to landers and rip it around with Erik, Ben, kenny, and I. We could all try to help each other do a little tuning. Then again. Getting a professionals eyes on it is a good starting point. I used irebe at king and was super happy with the improvement he made. I’ve since tweaked it here and there to improve it.

promer

Reaction
Sdg, Hoffman, Jake Johnson. Are a few options.

When will your car be ready? You should bring it to landers and rip it around with Erik, Ben, kenny, and I. We could all try to help each other do a little tuning. Then again. Getting a professionals eyes on it is a good starting point. I used irebe at king and was super happy with the improvement he made. I’ve since tweaked it here and there to improve it.
Dyno Dec 8th so after that. Have gone as far as we can with tubes and need to re-valve.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Looks great Bill! Very nice modern baja for sure!! When is your guys next race?

Ray, I have used Jon Hoffman, and was very happy with his knowledge/plan/customer service. My only suggestion would be to do it sooner then later we had king tune the Croc right before Mint, suspension was way off, didnt know till race day, did a front flip, broke steves back. Nobody to blame but myself, but more seat time the better after a suspension tune. Our car will be done around Dec. 12th maybe we go out together??

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Seen a lot of updates and cars coming back together this weekend on social media, who's racing Parker?!? Post up your plan and current state! Let the prep begin

bhernquist

Reaction
Looks great Bill! Very nice modern baja for sure!! When is your guys next race?

Ray, I have used Jon Hoffman, and was very happy with his knowledge/plan/customer service. My only suggestion would be to do it sooner then later we had king tune the Croc right before Mint, suspension was way off, didnt know till race day, did a front flip, broke steves back. Nobody to blame but myself, but more seat time the better after a suspension tune. Our car will be done around Dec. 12th maybe we go out together??
Looks like Parker....

ErikIrvine

Reaction
The "new" 522 is finishing up her remodel with the help of Jake's Fabworks and Danzio. Jake and his bada$$ crew helped us reroute, refab, and upgrade some parts. Our plan is to get the car as close to Factory JFW as we can, so Steve and I can simply prep the car for 2021 versus prep and upgrade which sucks when your trying to make every race too.

Team Trainwrecks plan for Parker is to field two cars; The Paramount Landscape car (Grinch), and the BrightView Landscape car (522). Its going to be weird and exciting racing against eachother as Zac and I have always raced with eachother splitting driving for many races over the years. Grinch will have Zac and Christian Fessler splitting the driving with Cory Anderson as the Co dog (Trevor Hudson as backup). Since Ben is dating my wife's sister, Ben Swift and Erik Irvine are changing their names to "The Clark Brothers", and The Clark Brothers will be splitting driving duties for #522. Steve Tyo will be coming out of his medical coma from The Mint and codriving the new 522 car, he's so ready to get back in the game. Of course Trevor Hudson will help with prerun, notes, and ready to jump in either car when needed. We are super stoked on the team, and of course our crew chief Daron CWB Rarden is making the trek from WA!!

In true TTW fashion, I plan to post up the $100 cash for "best Grinch nerf", and hope Zac wins it like he does every year with an untouched rear bumper. We may be our own worst enemy for the 2021 season.

Attachments

• 20201123_101258.jpg
    20201123_101258.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92