Class 5 only

swiftracing5

Reaction
A little short of what we hoped for but should be a great race next weekend. Looking forward to seeing everyone and Cody out there. Starting order-
76B9D167-30F2-41B4-BF6C-9758BA7DDE95.jpeg

swiftracing5

Reaction
Before Erik steals my thunder(he deserves it) here is my story from this weekend.

Every race has it owns challenges, some punch harder than others. This race's challenges were quite diverse! First, we sold our RZR a couple weeks back and scrambled to find a prerunner but to no avail. Erik's 4 seater was getting some upgrades done, so no go there. I reached into my karma reserves and hit up @TMorford, my OG baja buddy and he offered a right seat in his RZR! We went out the weekend before and logged 2 laps, but scheduling would not allow dad to get out there so he went out Memorial day in his raptor and logged a lap with @coryanderson who would be riding the whole race with us. We felt ok about the course, but it was a shorter lap so we were concerned about how it would degrade from then until the race day.

Friday AM race weekend, we load up. It's just something about racing with my dad. The responsibilities have shifted with the Jakes car, and I really try to commit to the prep on this car. So we don't spend every night in the shop together but we talk racing daily at work as the race gets near. Its just a buzz. We haven't really been able to race together much lately as he made it clear he does not feel strong in the socal races, but this was a great opportunity. Prep was good, timing was good(we love the June races, it used to be filled with the Baja 500 so we need something), so we planned to have him start and do 2 laps then I get in and do the last 4. I really wanted a Podium with him. I had juju to shake off in my car as I threw away a good effort the last time in that car in Parker 2020, and my dad his own Juju after his rough Parker 2021 with Zac, so we were honestly really nervous. My dad and just don't have good luck when we share the driver seat, we never both put together good races, but damn we give it everything. In my mind he would have a smart pace, top 5 and I would get in and have to push hard to get a top 3. It would take everything, especially since we are old school dump can guys, and doing a driver change.

Friday noon, we do a prerun lap in our race car and the course is starting to get square edgey! It is still what we could consider fast but damn, the beam does not like those square edges. We talk alot, go over some lines and scenarios but feel good about our plan. Everyone else arrives, Zac, Kenny, Cory's family(they are epic, just loving racing). The buzz is palpable. No offense to Zac, but it was baller having 2 JFW cars lined up in the same pit. Tech goes smooth as always, I chat with @Jeffers909 a bit and promise a better turnout at the shootout race(come on guys!) and we are ready to race.

Saturday AM, camp comes to life. We back the cars out of the tent area to start prepping fueling stations in the pit and I notice a huge crack in my drivers rear shock tower... CRAP! My first words to the camp are WERE DONE. Cooler heads prevailed and within minutes we had @Zac Reish grinding out the crack, @CentralWAbaja pulls out welder and Gene, and then @ErikIrvine welding the crack. By 9AM the car is bolted back together and ready. F---kn Love those dudes.

It was a long day waiting for the PM Heat to start. More and more of my friends who I put hooks in the water to come help started to show up! @TMorford and @hollandermotorsports show up to run our remote pit and I knew we were in good hands out there. We had a STACKED team this race, I would say the drivers were the weak link lol

Saturday PM, we get dad, Cory, Erik, Trevor all buckled in and it just feels weird sending my dad off to race with someone else. I want him to crush it, I know he is nervous but Cory will keep him smart in the dust and fast when his brain wants to go slow. I go watch at mile 2, and he is one of the slower cars through but it is a long day. He will turn it up. I told him to just get me a good car and I will do everything I can to accomplish our goal. I head back to main and mom arrives, now the pressure is really on! Within minutes we hear from Taylor that they bent a tie rod and missed the pit, damn! Our network comes to life as my boy Derek Pocorena and Fast Lap Fessler are out watching the race and get his attention enough to pull him over. He had no idea it was bent. It could not have gone better for Dad as Derek used to own a jakes car and had the rod changed in 10/15 mins and sent dad on his way. Lap 2 was business as usual, a decent pace and im getting in the car. I have Zac buckling me in, legit! Daron, JT, Kenny fueling, just a solid team. It felt like an eternity because I couldn't get my damn gloves on but we were off. Cory and I charged right away, knowing we had time to make up. By mile 12 we passed grabowski parked with issues. The car is still feeling good so we keep a smart pace as we do have some clear air. I know Chase is on course ahead of us so the goal is to make a push on him asap. We clear lap 3, see Spitz broken in main, and see Chase pitting so I back off a bit, and Cory is grunting more and more so I can only imagine how the car is feeling! By mile 10 he says "hey I really gotta pee or else" so we cruise for a bit, he says hes good and we take off. We reel in a 1450 truck and make a clean pass next to remote and get back to clear air. Car is still feeling strong but Cory is fading, bladder and back are not happy so coming into main we make the decision to switch out codogs. We had a solid stop getting @steve0we in the car and I hear an ecotec coming as we get Steve buckled in. Its Chase! We get released right on his bumper and have to flip that switch! Steve tells me lets get him so we did. We bushwacked and got around him right away but I could feel him back there. We get into the big rollers at mile 6-7 and he makes a pass, we pick a less dusty line and end up eating his dust hard. Leadnav then dies and the crap seems to be hitting the hot lucerne fan! We catch some dust but it is a 10 car, we give them some love and they let us by and no chase to be seen...He inches away and by the wall he is probably 20-30 seconds ahead, and I felt my podium goal slipping away. Damit.

We clear remote and I tell Steve I really don't want to walk home so I am going to be smart about this. He agrees and within 10 miles we see Chase pulled over with a flat! Back in the hunt! We turn it up a bit to finish that lap so we could get a good split at main. Final lap. The car is starting to feel loose and tired, or it was me.... we get a split around mile 5 that we are 4th and Sissum is 3rd by 8 mins on track. It would take a miracle and Darons tone on the radio indicated we should cruise it home for a finish. Coming out of the wash at mile 17, slapping skid plate, we see Sissum parked with a broken spindle/arm. Bummer for them, they deserved a good finish, but we motored by and I was FIRED UP. We were in the money. Steve reminds me we have alot of rough course to go and brings me back to earth. The sun is in our eyes in the backside of the course and the bumps are hungry for aluminum so the pace falls off but we do not see any dust in our periphery so we start to taste the finish. The convo wanders in the car, talking about swingers parties, mac n cheese, just the normal stuff you would talk about with steve, he is a living legend. He is doing anything in his power to keep me from doing 100% into main! Just like that, we clear the yellow flags and we can exhale.... a podium.... We give Cody a covid friendly wave and see the team at the finish. Alot of smiles, especially on my pops, and for that moment in time all is good in my world.

We roll into the pit and see a big smile on everyone, especially the WINNERS Erik and Trevor. They put together a complete effort and beat some quality teams. It is hard to beat the feeling in camp after a race like that. A first and a third, our goal is accomplished, and like I said, for a couple more hours all is good in our world.

And now we turn the page, the car is home, dirty and tired, ready to be given the full treatment before our next race. Dad and I are making plans for the 1000 this year, but I keep wanting to hold on this memory, it was a short race so it happens fast. Not sure how many more times we will be able to battle against men/women + machine together, but I will not forget this one.
2 cars.jpg
zac grind.jpg
erik weld.jpg
racey.jpg
bent rod.jpg
teamphoto.jpg

coryanderson

Reaction
Website
play-well.org
Great write up Ben! Thanks for the opportunity to race with you 2. That course was hammered. I’m still in awe Eric and Trevor ran such a quick pace for all 6 laps. Congrats to you both!

coryanderson

Reaction
Website
play-well.org
Great write up Ben! Thanks for the opportunity to race with you 2. That course was hammered. I’m still in awe Eric and Trevor ran such a quick pace for all 6 laps. Congrats to you both!

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Website
www.finishlineweld.com
Damn, Ben should be a writer, loved reading that Ben, thanks for taking the time. My write up is like gas station beef jerky compared to Ben's fillet mignon;

course was rough
desert was hot
thank God I have such a good team to dig me out of the constant potholes I dig on and off the course!

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Website
www.finishlineweld.com
WHO'S RACING THE SHOOTOUT DOUBLE POINTS MORE PCI 300 IN SEPTEMBER?!?!

I love the big car turnouts, it would be cool to get to qualify, FinishLine Certified Welding is sponsoring "Nerf the Grinch" with a fresh set of one hundred $1 bills taped to his back bumper, so far Zac is undefeated and gets the cash everytime.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Epic write up Ben. Let’s get the rear suspension better before you tear it all apart or are you going big baller shot caller
I’m going to have Fox take a stab at it. Bill swears by their tuner Mike.

jake got us close but the fine tuning is alluding us.

spywelding

Reaction
Spy team isnt committing to anything, busy rest of the year and a car to build. Lazenby mentioned wanting to race in september, I hope we do so we can say we at least got to mix it up once this year! Bummed we couldnt hold our word on making this one.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Spy team isnt committing to anything, busy rest of the year and a car to build. Lazenby mentioned wanting to race in september, I hope we do so we can say we at least got to mix it up once this year! Bummed we couldnt hold our word on making this one.
Dude at least post some new car pics!

Lyle Hogue

Reaction
I race a 2/1600 in the Yellowstone Off Road Racing assn up here in Montana. Would like to move up to a class they call Comp/Mod to race a VW Thing. The rules state I can either use coil-overs up front or on the rear, not both ends. I have no experience with coil-overs. Would it be best to run coil-overs up front and by-passes in the rear with torsion bars or coil-overs in the rear and by-passes in the front with leafs? I plan to run an ecotec or a subaru. Also, I have seen some talk about a subaru engine transmission combo that would work for my situation. Any thoughts. Thank you.

swiftracing5

Reaction
I race a 2/1600 in the Yellowstone Off Road Racing assn up here in Montana. Would like to move up to a class they call Comp/Mod to race a VW Thing. The rules state I can either use coil-overs up front or on the rear, not both ends. I have no experience with coil-overs. Would it be best to run coil-overs up front and by-passes in the rear with torsion bars or coil-overs in the rear and by-passes in the front with leafs? I plan to run an ecotec or a subaru. Also, I have seen some talk about a subaru engine transmission combo that would work for my situation. Any thoughts. Thank you.
That is a tricky question. I think the only realistic option is torsion + bypass rear, coilover front. There are some competitive-ish cars with that setup, Coleman is the most recent, Ex AJ Martin car.

Ecotec dominates out here for the most part. Some success with Honda, Subaru hit and miss.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
That is a tricky question. I think the only realistic option is torsion + bypass rear, coilover front. There are some competitive-ish cars with that setup, Coleman is the most recent, Ex AJ Martin car.

Ecotec dominates out here for the most part. Some success with Honda, Subaru hit and miss.
Agree with this. Front leaves will only give you so much travel where a coilover will get you more. In the rear, done correctly, a torsion will give you just as much travel as a coilover, but you won't get the stages in spring rate like a coilover, so you have to rely on a big bypass.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Agree with this. Front leaves will only give you so much travel where a coilover will get you more. In the rear, done correctly, a torsion will give you just as much travel as a coilover, but you won't get the stages in spring rate like a coilover, so you have to rely on a big bypass.
Most if not all the 5 cars are not utilizing the dual rate set up in the rear anyways. It’s just too sensitive.
I just worry about the damn bars. We did not have good luck on our 1600 Prerunner, so I’m jaded.