Class 5 only

5racer

RDC Crypto
We decided to take rear start with only a few cars there was no reason to do something stupid in qualifying. I started with new co driver that did very well for first time ,plan was to keep it cool on the first lap ,haven't driven the car after shock set up and I’m still a little gun shy after doing a 65mph front flip in the car I don’t Owen. As luck would have it I had wire probs of all things that put us way back, but this is 300 miles and we just kept going forward. Thanks to all our pit guys and support people ,to ray and rich for keeping cool when I had a 1hr plus laps and to Cody and all his people for there time to weedle trans and all the other vendors. Btw Adam spitz puts on one hell of a party wow. Had a great time all in all

5racer

RDC Crypto
You hit the nail on the head with not fair to the fam. I feel guilty every time I prep my car knowing I spent more time working on my car than spending with my wife and kids. Its hard to justify the time and money required. A race or two a year is about as much as I feel comfortable with these days. Plus they're pretty fun to be around and are way cheaper LOL!
This is a drug get rehab before it’s to late

Baja Belk

RDC Crypto
Fun course, great weather, had a blast camping with the family, qualifying was cool, ran P2 for 2 and 46/49ths of a lap and then a wheel fell off about 2 minutes before it would have been LJ's problem 🤷‍♂️

Hoped to hang close to Cade and keep him honest but he got around the rear 10 car around RM 5 before the course got too fast, and I got stuck in his dust the whole lap. When P1 has 7 minutes on you and you have 14 minutes on P3, and you have another race in 2 weeks, you tend to enter self-preservation mode - which I'm pretty good at, but apparently not good enough 😭

Low entries were disappointing but I'm the last one to talk. I know how it goes.

Thanks for everything Cody!

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
All I remember thinking is crap steve is hauling ass I can’t pass him going this fast in these huge g outs and then swerving out of the way so he didn’t land on me when he cartwheeled.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Wild video, was the car fine? Seemed like you down shifted and were 100%. Minus the human factor.
If I remember correctly they did finish that lap but noticed some things wrong around the engine and called it.

That was such an awesome race. 23 class 5 cars. Zac rear started and Derek and I were running 1-2 physically. Mile 30 on lap 1 Zac blows by me, he was an another level that race.

Bajabug222

RDC Crypto
IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
Yes that’s what happened ,I got lucky on repairs 4feet of tube some heating and tweekin that was it

Dude you got lucky to get out of that car with no injuries. I remember Ray in a panic trying to hook up your guys trailer to come and get you. Per Tyo saying over the radio a trailer would be needed. We took my truck and trailer. On the way down Camp Rock we heard you over the radio calling out race miles. We were trying to figure out what had happened. We were both happy to hear your voice. You never called in that you crashed!!

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
For steve to call anything what it is you know it’s severe. This would be Steve on his deathbed hooked up to oxygen and an IV: me: How are you doing steve?
Steve: I’m fine you son of a bitch why are you at the hospital talking to me!!!

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Steve is a special person. Anyone who doesn’t know him is missing out. I’ve said it many times. There’s no one more fun to sit around a camp fire with in the desert. And no one more unhappy to be at the desert racing everytime. If you know you know.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Steve is a special person. Anyone who doesn’t know him is missing out. I’ve said it many times. There’s no one more fun to sit around a camp fire with in the desert. And no one more unhappy to be at the desert racing everytime. If you know you know.
Tell the schnapps story!

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
I have only met Steve once when they brought Erik’s car for dyno, dude was a riot the entire time. I can only imagine what goes down around the camp fire.

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Thats Steve Tyo and Yes he is a riot. Steve Griffith is another Steve. Both amazing Men.

The Schnapps story. Thinking about this brings back a lot of memories.

I didnt know steve Griffith or steve tyo very well at this time. So I'll just tell the story of the race when it happened. Lots of fun stuff happened that day.
At the time I was 28 years old (but acted like I was 18) I have my oval window baja (the grinch) out in lucerne back when it was a bus box and 1835 car)) helping Steve griffith and Texas Steve tyo race Steve griffiths old 5 car. Steve tyo was out from texas with steve griffith and I believe they were teaming up to do the MORE 400 night race in lucerne. It was a summer race and it was super hot the race didnt start till the afternoon. At the time Texas steve tyo was having steve griffith build him a bad ass 5 car. At this race there were some real good cars racing and the course was using a ton of old course that they cant use anymore. I was obsessed with desert racing but I didn't at the time have any friends or family who raced. I was basically there all by myself taking it in. I had done 3 races in my late teens and early 20's by myself but this race was way bigger and I was in awe of the cars and the buzz in the pits.

So! any ways I had just met the texas boys they pulled out all the stops and made texas BBQ for the team, I had my baja, and was driving the living hell out of my car up and down start finish main giving people rides all day. The team told me I could use my baja for chase and support so I was even more pumped for the race to start later that day.

The race starts and 40 miles in Steve G breaks a trailing arm Texas Steve Tyo says "we got spares lets take your baja to help steve fix it"! We take off and I'm super stoked because now i have a reason to haul ass and not aware of the fact that steve tyo is about to get a crash course in navigating and the the ride of his life with about 50 pounds of 5 car front suspension and tools in his lap. We take off. Steve is broke in the northern part of lucerne where the power line roads are. smooth flat rollers. I'm going fast but keep checking up as I dont know if they turn or not or if there is a car coming in the opposite direction. Well after 4 perfect missed opportunities to launch the hell out of my car on perfect jumps and smooth straight landings I floor it approaching the biggest one yet. And if anyone knows Texas Steve Tyo you dont need to ask him if he is ok with launching the living $ hit out of your car with 50lbs of tools and suspension parts in his lap because the answer's always going to be "YEAAAH!!!" So we are flying toward what seems like something travis pastrana would hit with an audience, confident that the landing will be smooth and straight like the last several that I bitched out on. Full steam ahead we have lift off and fortunately there were no vehicles heading right for us but unfortunately the powerline road curves to the right sooner than where we are about to land. We both realize immediately that we are about to land on the built up berm from the road graders that has several basketball sized jagged rocks pleasantly waiting to absolutely murder anything that comes in contact with the top of that berm. So we're about (what feels like) 9' off the ground slowly gliding through the air waiting to smash down to earth bracing for what I think is going to be the end of us and my car. We some how land smoothly on the 3' tall berm as if it did not exist in the only place that quite possibly would not have completely destroyed my car and left us both injured and some how simply drive back onto the road with out skipping a beat or slowing down. We keep going. We both look at each other as if to wonder if we are still alive and how and why is my car not now in two pieces. Needless to say we didn't do that any more on the way to steve Griffith.

We get to steve and fix his car. He keeps going again. I drive back to camp but instead of the dangerous fire jumps which I've (at this point) experienced I decide to just get on the race course thinking "why not? we're all going the same direction. Its ok". So I get on the course and start hauling ass like I was a real race car driver. Having the absolute time of my life. I got passed by some real race cars and got my picture taken as if I was a real racer in the race from some of the photographers. It was cool but at the same time wasn't cool. oh well we get back to camp safe and sound. Texas steve tyo gets in and drives and steve griffith gets out for a few laps their race isnt going great but they're still moving. Texas Steve tyo is supposed to get out and have steve griffith finish the race. Its dark and getting late at this point. I cant remember how it went about but Steve griffith asks me if I want to navigate for the last few laps. I'm like are you kidding me? yes!.

So I suit up in someones suit and helmet and get in. We take off, its late, I'm pumped, I've Been driving the grinch all day, having beers, eating BBQ, hanging with desert racers and race cars, fixing broken race cars, jumping the crap out of my car, cheating death, racing my car on the race course, and now I'm sitting bitch in a real 5 car thinking all my dreams are coming true today.

We take off and the cars shocks are all bent form breaking front arms and the front suspension has like 3" of travel because its all bound up but. Steve griffith is hauling ass. And I'm sitting in the passenger seat like F ucgk this is gnarley. This is my first time navigating in a real race car with a seasoned race car driver. Things are happening fast and the power of the big type 4 is super bad ass feeling. I finally get over the feeling of being star struck sitting next to steve griffith in this bad ass race car and ask "what do you want me to do"? He says tell me which way to go as if I'm somehow supposed to know which way that is. I call turns and he tells me "I dont need to know every single turn just the big important ones"! so I call less turns. He's already pissed off because steve is just naturally that way but I'm getting the midnight, running 5th place, with a completely destroyed race car, pissed off steve, who'm I barely know. I find myself after every time I open my mouth and him getting pissed at me thinking "ok don't do that again" and then wondering hmm what did I just do, he seems really upset about that. After about 20 minutes I realize Steve is just pissed off and I have no business telling this guy what to do or where to go as I was not aware of this yet but was easily the worst navigator Steve could have ever asked to get in his car. I mean half the time I meant to have him go left I'd call a right. He straight up asked me "wtf is wrong with you"! And I wasn't sure. I knew i sucked but I also knew i didn't care I was racing and pissed off Steve didn't really bother me enough to not be thoroughly enjoying the moment.

So, we're still racing, Steve and I are now wincing driving through each big hole with 3" of travel and off the lead pace by a decent margin. His pace starts to slow to a "lets get through this and get to the finish"pace. At this point we had not been passed, but because of our pace slowing headlights were quickly approaching as we were getting to a very slow and rocky technical section. The headlights behind us were quickly getting brighter and brighter and I said "steve there is something catching us and its coming up really fast". He pulls to a side line and this car passes us like a bomb had just exploded by us. I swore it was the biggest baddest and fastest one car there ever was. We both went "Woah"! as neither of us had a clue what just went by us with all the rocks dust fying. The course turned 90* to the right and we had a clear view of the side of the car it was Jim Varshays big blue bad ass 5 car. He had pitched the car sideways to the right and stood on the gas leaving a huge roost as we approached the turn he was on. I was in awe thinking holy crap that was insane and awesome.

So we keep bouncing along and are in a big deep canyon wash lined with rocks, it's dark, the dust is no longer settling making the visibility terrible. We nail something big and the car grinds and slides to a halt. We are totally stuck. Steve tells me "get out lets see". We discover we are high centered on a huge iceberg of a rock down in a remote canyon where no one is, late in the race. Steve says "can you help me dig?" I'm like dude "I'm a landscape there is no one better than me at digging"! I start digging with the cars jack making progress thinking steve is about to come and help me with sweat dripping off my face and notice the smell of smoke, i look over and steve is leaning against the car having a cigarrette and a drink of water. I come to the conclusion that rushing is not really too important at this point. i'm dripping in sweat from digging, trying to get us off this rock, its late, I'm dehaydrated from the beers and the day I've had, and that water steve has is looking pretty good. I stop digging its silent and dark, steve over at me and asks "you want a drink"? I was really thirst. I said yes. He tosses it too me and I start pounding it. With in a couple seconds of guzzling I realise I'm not drinking water. I immediately spit out what was left in my mouth and ask what the hell is this!! He says peppermint schnapps. I had guzzled at least 6oz of it before I knew what it was. The rest of the day I cant remember. I know i finished getting the car dug off the rock and steve drove us back and we finished the race but I dont remember the drive back, crossing the finishline, or anything really after I took that drink of steves "water". What an experience. I've had many more with both steves but I learned if you're thirsty dont ever drink steves water.