• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

steve0we

Jim, I thought you sold your car? Are you moving to another class or? Curious what others think of how affordable a T4 can be. Steve Owe, weigh in on this. Good debate.
I havent found ANYTHING affordable about rebuilding my T4. By the time a get done, Im out another 5K.... I love the fact that class 5 wants to stay class 5. I think that its a great class, has some of the best built cars in the desert. Look at Baja Stus car.... beautiful work by 5Racer and Stu! I do think that running class 3000 is going to be a great time! I can run class 10 in Texas, and 3K on the west coast. Pump gas, less motor hassles, and BITD/ FORD will pay me to play..... HELL YES!

Once I go to the new motor, I will be able to go pre-run, play and not worried about putting miles on it..... NO BRAINER!

Yes, Parker, Mint and 1 other race will have a bunch of cars, but thats it........ SO lets not kid ourselves and think that the class is growing. The class is mindlessly floating along at best, and its been that way for a long time!

AZBadseed

Class 5U is awesome the way it is! I race a 3000 car, and in all the races (SNORE, BITD, and HDRA) we started right together, either before or after each other. It's awesome racing! I don't care what the car looks like, or sounds like, our two classes are pretty close.
When we are out there are we not racing against every car in the dirt?
Maybe though sometime the 2 classes could have a "shoot out" type race. Maybe Rage at the River? or The HDRA Laughlin race? For nothing more than some side money and some bragging rights? Just give it a shot at one race, and crank it up!
Either way....I'm still trying to catch those damn 12 cars!! haha!

Baja Jim

Yes I sold the car, we have received deposit but are completely rebuilding car for new owner. New powder coat, wrap, nuts bolts, refinish shocks should be as nice or nicer that when we built car new. New owner hoping to take delivery prior to Baja 500. 5 cars are the funnest car I have ever raced!!! They need to stay air cooled and more need to be racing. I have a class 1 chassis built but am not sure I will finish it? Kinda of in limbo now, getting very busy this summer with work.

Jim, I thought you sold your car? Are you moving to another class or? Curious what others think of how affordable a T4 can be. Steve Owe, weigh in on this. Good debate.

Zac Reish

Thats Steve Griffith. He built Baja Stu's white convertible posted on an earlier page and steveowe's who's from texas. Both real solid 5 cars. He's building another 5 car for ray romer as we speak. Post up some pics Steve!!!

VIGILANTE

This thread inspired me join up and post. I can agree and disagree with every argument that all of you have posted. I love class five as much or even more so then the next guy. The reason for my post is just to let you guys know I have spent the last two and a half years building a class 5 car, and hoping to enter it in next years parking 425. I have no experience racing one or anything really. But what I do know is I'm not a millionair and want to race competitively. I'm twenty five (with no ball and chain) so am putting everything I've got into this car to get out on the track and trade some paint with you guys. But from where I'm standing and the research and Class 10 drivers I have talked to I'm putting the Ecotec in my car and if that means cutting off the little bit of finder I have and racing in class 10 or 1000 for BITD so be it. The majority of racers want competition well I certintly do and if you don't get off the track. It sounds like there are more of you like me trying to evolve the class. So for you guys, I'm in let's race our ecotecs in whatever class they put us in resembling the ghosts of the passed (5unlimited) witch we all love so much. I want to thank everyone who has commented on this thread. I will post some pictures for the people out there calling BS on this post

VIGILANTE

I'm excited people are talking about class 5. This forum has inspired me to sign up and talk with you guys. As for what has been posted I agree and disagree with all the points that have been made. I'm 25 (with no ball and chain) and have been throwing every bit of cash I make into my money hole (the race car). I have been building a competitive class five car from the ground up for the last two and a half years. Living off of bologna and ketchup sandwiches. Only a few people know the amount of dedication and sacrifice to achieve that. ( can't do it without a team thanks Austin and Jay) I love class five as much or more so then the next guy. I'm no millionaire so from were I stand and the research I've done along with the class ten drivers I have spoken to I'm going to run the Ecotec engine. And from the sound of it I'm not the only one. It is an unlimited class that is evolving do to the economic times and technology. But put whatever number you want to on the side of my car I will still resemble the ghost of the past (5U) witch we all love and why this thread was created. I just want to thank everyone who has posted. Can't wait to trade some paint with you guys. PS will post pictures for those of you calling BS on me and because it is awesome to see five unlimited Picts

Zac Reish

I'm excited people are talking about class 5. This forum has inspired me to sign up and talk with you guys. As for what has been posted I agree and disagree with all the points that have been made. I'm 25 (with no ball and chain) and have been throwing every bit of cash I make into my money hole (the race car). I have been building a competitive class five car from the ground up for the last two and a half years. Living off of bologna and ketchup sandwiches. Only a few people know the amount of dedication and sacrifice to achieve that. ( can't do it without a team thanks Austin and Jay) I love class five as much or more so then the next guy. I'm no millionaire so from were I stand and the research I've done along with the class ten drivers I have spoken to I'm going to run the Ecotec engine. And from the sound of it I'm not the only one. It is an unlimited class that is evolving do to the economic times and technology. But put whatever number you want to on the side of my car I will still resemble the ghost of the past (5U) witch we all love and why this thread was created. I just want to thank everyone who has posted. Can't wait to trade some paint with you guys. PS will post pictures for those of you calling BS on me and because it is awesome to see five unlimited Picts
BS LOL, that reminds me of my early 20's buiding the current car I race and play in. Keep it up and dont rush anything. Now post pictures.

clyde6196

My 5 car will always have an air-cooled engine. I think that there should always be a class for 5 cars with air cooled engines only. If I want to race using an ecotech, I would run in another class and not expect class 5 to accept different types of engines. That said, I am not opposed to a 5-limited class, say air cooled 4 cylinder up to 2.5. This may bring some type 1 powered cars back into the mix. Then you could make an updated 5-U class, with any 4 cylinder option....toyota, honda, ecotech, large displacement type 4's etc.

ksmith

a few 5 car clips, enjoy.
Nice little video thanks for posting!
here is a short vid of our car taking off from the start of the vorra 24 hour race last Sept. first race with the Ecotec
[video=youtube;2kUCSnsvsVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUCSnsvsVw&feature=related[/video]