• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

rusco

My 5 car will always have an air-cooled engine. I think that there should always be a class for 5 cars with air cooled engines only. If I want to race using an ecotech, I would run in another class and not expect class 5 to accept different types of engines. That said, I am not opposed to a 5-limited class, say air cooled 4 cylinder up to 2.5. This may bring some type 1 powered cars back into the mix. Then you could make an updated 5-U class, with any 4 cylinder option....toyota, honda, ecotech, large displacement type 4's etc.

What do you guys think of this? My thoughts would be to run type 1 with bus box. Something between a 5-1600 and 5U. Think "jeepspeed" package with as many over the counter parts as possible. This might get some $$ from suppliers.

What is the ave. prep expense of a type 1 vs. type 4 vs Ecotech??

VIGILANTE

photo.JPG 1.JPGphoto.JPG 2.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPG 4.JPG
Here are a few pics of my class 5. The goal is to have it at Parker in the beginning of next year.

Last edited:

clyde6196

What do you guys think of this? My thoughts would be to run type 1 with bus box. Something between a 5-1600 and 5U. Think "jeepspeed" package with as many over the counter parts as possible. This might get some $$ from suppliers.

What is the ave. prep expense of a type 1 vs. type 4 vs Ecotech??
My opinion is do not limit to a bus box. I saw in another thread mendeola would like to get involved in something, but if you limit to bus box only, it keeps them and other mfg's out of the mix. Also, I dont agree with type 1 only, it should be 4 cylinder air-cooled, with a displacement limit. Just my opinion.

AZBadseed

change oil and filters in an eco-tec. total prep...30 mins, 40 bucks. for the engine only.

JRV 511

The class is 5 unlimited , why in the hell would you want to limit it , if you want to run an ecotec than knock your self out ,but I for one have no intention of backing my engine down to 2.5 ltrs, I would be interested in looking at a any production four cylinder with unlimited mods or something like that to give teams other options , but if you want to limit the heck out of the class ,5-1600 or sportsman is probibly a better option for your race team

Bryan J

The class is 5 unlimited , why in the hell would you want to limit it , if you want to run an ecotec than knock your self out ,but I for one have no intention of backing my engine down to 2.5 ltrs, I would be interested in looking at a any production four cylinder with unlimited mods or something like that to give teams other options , but if you want to limit the heck out of the class ,5-1600 or sportsman is probibly a better option for your race team
well put. i think if your car is in between classes then move to sportsman or just deal. I raced for 2 years in a 5 open with an 091 bus box, and a type 1 and we finished well every race, even won the freedom 250 in 2009. just gota play to the strengths of your car

Last edited:

Baja Jim

well put. i think if your car is in between classes then move to sportsman or just deal. I raced for 2 years in a 5 open with an 091 bus box, and a type 1 and we finished well every race, even won the freedom 250 in 2009. just gota play to the strengths of your car
I agree, type 1's can run with big type 4 you just got to drive the p out of it!

M and D MotorSports

I run a big type 1 and an 091. motors not my problem I need a 5th gear but Im still out there driving the hell out of my car. If you dont like the rules of the class then find a class you like and build a new car. 5U is a great class, the only unlimited air cooled motor class.

VIGILANTE

My 5 car will always have an air-cooled engine. I think that there should always be a class for 5 cars with air cooled engines only. If I want to race using an ecotech, I would run in another class and not expect class 5 to accept different types of engines. That said, I am not opposed to a 5-limited class, say air cooled 4 cylinder up to 2.5. This may bring some type 1 powered cars back into the mix. Then you could make an updated 5-U class, with any 4 cylinder option....toyota, honda, ecotech, large displacement type 4's etc.
I just don't get why people are apposed to letting the ecotecs run with the air cooled motors. I just don't get it. Some guys say they would rather run the type 4s anyway, so let them. The sport is always evolving. Look at how many other classes have changed rules to up entries. In my opinion, it would be smart for class 5 to do the same.

VIGILANTE

You will not be dissapointed!! We went to an Ecotec in our 5 car about a year ago. Since then we've put about 800 miles on it and it has ran perfect every race. It's so much like a type 4 power wise you wouldn't beleive it. We used to run a 2.8 liter Major Performance type 4 in a very capable chenowth DR2. The ecotec in our 5 car runs every bit as good as the type 4 and this was a very nice top of the line type 4 we are talking about. Back in 2002 it cost $10,000 to build and about 2-3 grand minimum everytime you needed it freshened up. We simply could not afford to run it anymore. Oh and did I mention our Ecotec runs on PUMP gas, not $10/gal race gas like the type four.

Anyone who says keep the class air cooled. I have one question.... what other VW parts are on your car? If your a budget racer like me maybe an 091 transmission but not many of those around anymore. If you run a full body like us that's fine too. But nothing else is VW. Suspension, shocks, steering, trans, hubs, trailing arms, brakes nothing VW so why not use a resonably priced engine package. Just Sayin' Nothing about the 5 unlimiteds is VW. Keep the limited wheelbase and limited to any size 4 cylinder and lets get a bunch of 5U's out there.

Oh and I am a fan of BITD class rules stating "any size four cylinder air or water cooled". Means we are legal in 5U and 3000 in BITD I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I love this thread by the way. 5 cars are so much fun to drive, nevermind the best looking cars in desert! Let's see some more pics!

Here's a couple pics of our car.
. I agree! To answer your question, the only thing on my car that isn't aftermarket is the gearshift lever.

rusco

I agree. But...All classes have evolved. I.E. 10/12/6(7200) Class 5 is seeing some re-surgance but other than a few Parker 425's and the last Mint, when was the last time that 10 cars started the same race? If showing up to a race with three entries are for you, then knock yourself out. The whole point here is HOW to increase entry #'s. Many 5 cars out there, why aren't they racing??

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Any body got any good photos of Martin's arms. No, suspension arms...

Who made 'em?

Thanks in advance!

rusco

Check out desertrides.com. Bunch of pics there. Think A.J. makes them himself and can build you a set.

ksmith

I agree 100%. No limit on Motor size. It's 5 unlimited leave the motors unlimited. Im not sure when BITD changed their motor rules for class 5 but last year it was ANY size four cylinder air or water cooled ANY make. Did not have to be VW. I thought that rule would bring some cars to the class but apparently it didn't.
I like the idea of any four cylinder unlimited mods!
If it has four cylinders bring it!

Bryan J

I agree. But...All classes have evolved. I.E. 10/12/6(7200) Class 5 is seeing some re-surgance but other than a few Parker 425's and the last Mint, when was the last time that 10 cars started the same race? If showing up to a race with three entries are for you, then knock yourself out. The whole point here is HOW to increase entry #'s. Many 5 cars out there, why aren't they racing??
2012 Mint had 10+, 2011 MORE Toys for Tots had 10+, 2011 MORE 500 had about 9 or 10. As i recall the 2010 MORE 500 had close to 20 5cars. The cars are out there, you gota watch the entry lists and sometimes everyone comes out to play. to many people racing for thier own agenda. A coalition is a great idea, but a pipe-dream. Maybe 1 or 2 shoot out races a year? Last year (2011) MORE drew 17 5-1600s out to the Balls out 250. Maybe if we get MORE and some dedicated contingency we could have a big money race.

Bryan J

off the top of my head here are a few of the 5 car guys out there now. feel free to add yourself or correct me, im sure im screwed someones name up or something haha

505-richard garavito
534-Hall Racing
5025-Kevin Heitritter (sp?)
501-Moldenhauer
5011-Belk's
5013-Aj Martin
502-Scott Wagstaff
527-Mortensen
507-Antuna
5##-Steve Tyo
519-steve griffith
519-Tom Bird
5##-Crumco Rick
511-Varshay
5##-Vik and Michelle Bruckman
500-Kevin Carr (ive only ever seen him race SCORE)
5##-Cody Kellog
509-Lazenby
512-Ollis?
5005-Steve Alexander

TexasBaja

Like I stated earlier in the thread 5U needs to remain Air Cooled.That is my opinion and my opinion ONLY. Our T4 engine was awesome to listen to. It was so distinctive when listening for it on the track just like the sound of a Trophy Truck or class 1 car coming at you.
That being said we have made the decision to put a water cooled Ford engine in our 5U and run Class 3000 and maybe get some of that Ford payout money. For what its going to take to RE-build a T4 for our car we can spend a little extra up front and have a ford. Prep costs will be a lot less before each race and we will be able to afford more races. Even though we did not have to do a lot to our T4 in the last 2 years it has taken its toll. Hopefully by the end of next week we will have a Class 10 car in our Racing Family and Ford is the engine of choice for that car as well. Another reason we made the decision to go with the Ford engine.

For those of you that don't know me I am the Tech Director for BRT here in Texas. I follow the rules closely and we try to stay as close as we can to other Race Org's rules. This last year some guys wanted me to change the Class 12 rules to match BITD's Class 11 rules. BITD will allow you to run a 2.0 Water cooled engine in Class 12/11. We opted to just let the guys build bigger air cooled engines and stay away from water cooled stuff. My opinion Class 12/11 is a air cooled class and should remain that way just like Class 5U.

BTW: Starting this thread was a great Idea and I admire each and everyone of you for staying professional and not trash talkin like every other thread ends up on RDC.

Thanks Guys

Lets Go Racing

TexasBaja

I agree 100%. No limit on Motor size. It's 5 unlimited leave the motors unlimited. Im not sure when BITD changed their motor rules for class 5 but last year it was ANY size four cylinder air or water cooled ANY make. Did not have to be VW. I thought that rule would bring some cars to the class but apparently it didn't.
I like the idea of any four cylinder unlimited mods!
If it has four cylinders bring it!
I thought the same thing but Casey told me that it was a typo and the 2012 Class rules state that it must be a 4-cylinder VW/Porche type water cooled engine. I tried to download the 2012 rules but adobe keeps crashing on me.