class 5 rear suspesnion too stiff

prerun15

Reaction
I recently upgraded the rear suspension on my old school class 5 to coilovers. I bought these new shocks off a guy who said they came off the front of a toyota truck. So I put the shocks on the car and I liked the ride height so I stayed with the coils which have a 12" 600lb under a 350lb 10" with 2" of preload. I also have a 2 tube bypass on it which I made no changes to. I went to the desert and the rear was real stiff over whoops but felt good over big jumps. My question is should I mess with the valving in the coilovers or are the coils to stiff, but will I change the coils will I be able to bet the same ride height? Thanks for any help.

Zac Reish

Reaction
to me that sounds stiff, i would take as much pre load out of the spring as possible and try it if it is still to stiff then go down on the spring rate. Don't mess with the valving in the coil over, thats what your bypass is for.

PRECEPTS

Reaction
I recently upgraded the rear suspension on my old school class 5 to coilovers. I bought these new shocks off a guy who said they came off the front of a toyota truck. So I put the shocks on the car and I liked the ride height so I stayed with the coils which have a 12" 600lb under a 350lb 10" with 2" of preload. I also have a 2 tube bypass on it which I made no changes to. I went to the desert and the rear was real stiff over whoops but felt good over big jumps. My question is should I mess with the valving in the coilovers or are the coils to stiff, but will I change the coils will I be able to bet the same ride height? Thanks for any help.

600 lb springs sounds way too stiff, I would try a 500 lb spring on the bottom, thats a big spread between a 350/600. You should still be able to adjust the ride height with a smaller spring on the bottom.

TauMau

Reaction
I agree on the springs being too stiff. I run 350/500 on mine. If you don't have the money to spend on springs right now you can try backing out the compression as a temporary fix, but eventually you'll want to switch over.

Fourstroker

Reaction
If I switch to a 500 lb though wont I have to put in way more preload?

Not really. Most of the preload will depress the 350 spring first. You will not notice a huge difference in achieving ride height but you notice a huge difference in the ride.