Class 5100 Baja "secondary door latch" Question

jps1145

I'm using the BITD rule book to prep my low budget Baja to race in OK in a couple of weeks. I don't think these guys will be that picky in the tech inspection, but I want follow some rules, cause they don't have many...
Anyway, in the BITD rule book regarding the doors, there is a note about a secondary latching system on the doors.
Quote from the class 5100:
SCR39: Doors & Latches
"Doors must remain functional and in original stock location with original hinges and working latches. Secondary positive latching devices are mandatory."

I get the original part, but what exactly is the secondary positive latching device??? Any ideas or examples anyone has will be appriciated.

jrtorres

don't quote me on this..but i think it might mean that the locking mechanism must still work not just the latching.....its highly possible that i'm wrong though lol

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
i am not credible either, but maybe they are referring to say a secondary latch as in a latch u can put on the inside of the door where it meets the cab as a precaution if the stock latch was to fail, keeping the door from swinging freely. saw something like this on a 1450 truck at a MDR race.

just my .02

jps1145

i am not credible either, but maybe they are referring to say a secondary latch as in a latch u can put on the inside of the door where it meets the cab as a precaution if the stock latch was to fail, keeping the door from swinging freely. saw something like this on a 1450 truck at a MDR race.

just my .02
This sounds like what I was thinking. What I wonder is if this is a very simple device like a slide bolt, or something more complicated.

just get yourself some rubber VW hood latches and sheetmetal screw em in! its as simple as that to pass tech.

jps1145

Great! Thanks fellas! I may even have a set of those laying around somewhere.

bajabird

Great! Thanks fellas! I may even have a set of those laying around somewhere.
Kartek has them. Hood hold downs, part number DEE-6028. 5.99 for the pair. I just got some for the same purpose.

jps1145

Here is what I came up with. I could not find a good place to screw the hood hold downs that didn't interfere with something. I got the idea from an old cooler strap that I had on my old LT250. If one of these could keep that on my Quad, it should be able to hold a door closed.

Tipracer

you might want to rethink that idea...just saying, you want to be able to undo them from the inside really quickly..The vw ones are pretty standard

jps1145

I understand what you guys are saying. I did think about it, but either way these must be put on from the inside after you get in. They way the hood holders would have been installed (if I could find a good spot) I would have to reach to about the same place to undo it.
Do either of you have a photo of the hood holders in place?

WannaB-class5

I use the rubber hood latch deals and they do work BUT I have never used them in a race. It's a PITA to reach them if you are in the car. Nice to know they are there if the door latch fails though. Pull over and close the door, latch it and on with the race!

TUBETECK

I use the rubber bunjee cord method. Half washer welded to the upper corner of the door behind your head, another half washer welded to the center of the b-piller hoop where the dome light would go. The bunjee's work well at keeping the doors closed and if you need to get out of the car quickly they stretch enough to let you get out.

jps1145

That may be my problem. I was trying to mount them just below the window opening. I had no problem mounting the catch on the door, but I could not fit the mount for the rubber handle in there. Between the the B pillar bar of the cage and the back of the seat there was no room. plus, reaching behind me to unlatch it would have been a pain.
I kinda feel like I'm beating this to death :D

Parker Ed

Sorry for the hijack, but have any of you guy's with baja's weighed them after they were done?

Thanks Ed