Class 6 Revival...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
A claimer class would be good but I'd say break it up. Maybe a claim on shocks, engine, transmission, tires/wheels, etc.
Nah, buy the whole car or take your attempt at swap meet shopping to Leduc's swap meet. Otherwise, trying to buy your parts for your project on the cheap from someone else's race car will just get your @$$ beat!

dislocated1

Reaction
And then came the modern SUV and changed sedan racing forever..... some epic battles back then with the Explorer and the Cherokee! I always had a soft spot for the Saab's when I was a little kid crawling around the rocks and watching races as a little kid

1626879574638.png

1626879610173.png

1626879692988.png

Bro_Gill

Reaction
And then came the modern SUV and changed sedan racing forever..... some epic battles back then with the Explorer and the Cherokee! I always had a soft spot for the Saab's when I was a little kid crawling around the rocks and watching races as a little kid

View attachment 228767
View attachment 228768
View attachment 228769
Yep, those 'trucks' should have been banned just like the old VW bug was from this class, but we can blame the federal gov't for classifying these as passenger vehicles.

J Prich

Reaction
In the imaginary scenario that this could ever come back, I think that would definitely need to be accounted for. There are other classes in existence where the SUVs can race competitively, but not production sedans. So the rules would need to be specific to cars only, no SUVs IMO. Probably wouldn't be that hard to craft.

Like I said, the Gambler/Hooptie X guys are already half way there, they just aren't building their cars with the intent of racing true desert races. But as folks get more creative, I think it wouldn't be that hard to slap some shocks and tires on some of these cars and let them rip. I think it would be a fan favorite class and a cool way to have some unique rides out there.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Schwacofer's 56 and 57 Chevys were some of my favorites growing up. Larry Stones Pacer was part of our German Auto group and I will say it was..... interesting

J Prich

Reaction
Schwacofer's 56 and 57 Chevys were some of my favorites growing up. Larry Stones Pacer was part of our German Auto group and I will say it was..... interesting
One year in the early/mid 80s we were camped out on the Mint's north Vegas course and Larry pulled up to our camp looking for help. I was fairly young, maybe 10 at the most, and I don't remember what it was that he needed but it was pretty late in to the night and they were cruising along to get to the finish. I remember he and the co dog, Sid I think, sitting with us for a good 10-15 minutes just shooting the poop, cracking jokes, etc before finally saying "Well, guess we should get going"...lol. Fired it back up and off they went in to the darkness. I miss the good old days.

scootin newton

Reaction
I'm sharing because I had to look it up:

CLASS 6
OPEN PRODUCTION – PASSENGER VEHICLES
VEHICLES BUILT FROM A TWO WHEEL DRIVE PASSENGER TYPE VEHICLE SERIES
PRODUCED IN QUANTITIES OF AT LEAST 2000 UNITS WITHIN A 12 MONTH PERIOD. NO
AIR COOLED VW’S OR PORSCHES ALLOWED, BUT CORVAIRS ARE PERMITTED. LATE
MODEL TURBOCHARGED CARS WILL BE ALLOWED PROVIDED ALL EXTERNAL
COMPONENTS ON THE ENGINE ARE FACTORY STOCK. COUPES, SEDANS,
CONVERTIBLES, STATION WAGONS, AND PASSENGER PICKUPS SUCH AS EL
CAMINOS AND RANCHEROS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS CLASS
Originally, the rules stated open production sedan. They changed it to passenger vehicles allowing the Explorers and Cherokees, thus ruining the class

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Should read 'Sedans and passenger type convertibles. No SUVs or truck frame based vehicles.' There were 2wd Bonco IIs, Explorers, Jeeps, etc... And that silhouette Pontiac is what killed the class. It was a Trophy Car.

jon coleman

Reaction
thats why a claimer rule would work, heck, make it low so you dont get all crazy with trick ' trophy car' shyt, just a bunch of garage time beefing up your 87 chevy v8 caprice, and dumping a bunch of junk yard bilstiens on it, and those cheep whatever tires you found in the classifieds

Josh 8

Reaction
thats why a claimer rule would work, heck, make it low so you dont get all crazy with trick ' trophy car' shyt, just a bunch of garage time beefing up your 87 chevy v8 caprice, and dumping a bunch of junk yard bilstiens on it, and those cheep whatever tires you found in the classifieds
They have that class already. You can find them at the county fair, dirt track.

There is a reason why those guys don’t take their cars to the desert.

Price a decent curry rear end. Or go cheap and build a speedway grand nation full floater with 35 spline axles. Both being Ford 9” base rear ends and see what it costs. Because a Ford 8.8 or 10 bolt Chevy ain’t gonna make 100 miles in the desert with 33” tires. And forget tires that are larger. Now have some yokal come along and claim your finishing car when his pos with a stock rear end can’t finish a race.

That’s what’s wrong with a claimer rule.

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
i finished Parker with a funk bone trussed dana 35,2wd only, stock axels, detroit locker& 4:11 gears donated by Mark -pro gear👍👍👍👍,set up by mr.J .Hughes👍👍👍👍.finished 3rd pro class, raced the next series race, finished too( then bought Ricky Ramirez's 9"), its all in the drivers seat😉

Last edited:

scootin newton

Reaction
They have that class already. You can find them at the county fair, dirt track.

There is a reason why those guys don’t take their cars to the desert.

Price a decent curry rear end. Or go cheap and build a speedway grand nation full floater with 35 spline axles. Both being Ford 9” base rear ends and see what it costs. Because a Ford 8.8 or 10 bolt Chevy ain’t gonna make 100 miles in the desert with 33” tires. And forget tires that are larger. Now have some yokal come along and claim your finishing car when his pos with a stock rear end can’t finish a race.

That’s what’s wrong with a claimer rule.
original rules required you to run the drivetrain of the car manufacturer. gm's couldn't run ford rear ends.