Class 6 Revival...

Josh 8

Reaction
I understand it’s all dreaming and fun at a keyboard.

That said if you guys were really serious about this a pure stock 3/4 ton pick-up class is way more suited to the desert then a car.

J Prich

Reaction
I understand it’s all dreaming and fun at a keyboard.

That said if you guys were really serious about this a pure stock 3/4 ton pick-up class is way more suited to the desert then a car.
I get what you're saying but the conversation isn't really about what's "more suited". It stands to reason that there is nothing about a Mustang, El Camino, Ranchero, or Pacer that is well suited for desert racing. But all of those raced in Class 6 and that was kind of the whole point, IMO. What made Class 6 cool was that you had a class full of vehicles that by and large had no business being in the desert, out there getting down. That was the challenge and that led to some really cool and creative vehicles in the class.

I don't think it's any more unrealistic to build a production sedan with some simple rules than it is to build a basically bone stock production truck/SUV. A class like this wouldn't be about building the fastest, most capable vehicle the sport has ever seen. It's about taking something that realistically SHOULDNT be able to survive, and figuring out how to make it live and outlast the competition. That's the fun of it IMO.

And again, this is basically what the Gambler guys are out there doing, just not in a desert race capacity.

Josh 8

Reaction
I see your point Prich. And that’s great.

But I think your forgetting something. You have been around long enough to know this too. Stock classes are not cheap. 8s, 7s, stock mini, what ever class it was in the desert that people raced stock vehicles in, were heavily supported by factories for parts. Those stock vehicles got the snot clobbered out them and had to be totally rebuilt after every race when they raced for a win.

This is what led to the demise of stock classes. The factories pulled out and the free supply of parts came to an end. Why did unlimited suspension classes survive? Because there are actually easer on parts parts then a pure stock.

I get the need to wanna race cheap. I have chased my tail with it too. Fifteen years ago I had a lot more time and energy to build something like this, but I just could not figure out how to build a car/truck that goes fast, is fun to drive, and is reliable on the cheap.

Anyways, I don’t want to be a downer on you guys. Peace out and rock out! ✌️

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
I see your point Prich. And that’s great.

But I think your forgetting something. You have been around long enough to know this too. Stock classes are not cheap. 8s, 7s, stock mini, what ever class it was in the desert that people raced stock vehicles in, were heavily supported by factories for parts. Those stock vehicles got the snot clobbered out them and had to be totally rebuilt after every race when they raced for a win.

This is what led to the demise of stock classes. The factories pulled out and the free supply of parts came to an end. Why did unlimited suspension classes survive? Because there are actually easer on parts parts then a pure stock.

I get the need to wanna race cheap. I have chased my tail with it too. Fifteen years ago I had a lot more time and energy to build something like this, but I just could not figure out how to build a car/truck that goes fast, is fun to drive, and is reliable on the cheap.

Anyways, I don’t want to be a downer on you guys. Peace out and rock out! ✌️
Yeah totally agree on cost, etc. I see this more in the real of Class 11 or Vintage guys. I'm just day dreaming but at a race like the Mint, for example...I would see it as a sportsman class. Two laps, hell maybe even just one. But if the Class 11 guys can get around, I would think cars that fit this class could too. I see it as more of a fun sportsman kind of thing. Or again, maybe it would fall under the vintage category. I'm pretty sure it will never happen but...I also think it wouldn't be that hard to work out to make a place for those guys to run.

And for perspective, I think I could put together a build sheet for an old Mustang, for example, that would be way cheaper than even a mid pack 1450 these days. And I bet my off road Mustang would get way more attention, lol.

J Prich

Reaction
There are probably not enough vintage Class 6 cars left out there to revive and maybe not enough interest in the community to think guys would want to build new ones, but I don't think these Gambler guys are too far off. They would need safety stuff and to make their stuff survive a race course they would need additional work but again...they aren't "that" far off IMO.

class5cole

Reaction
Yeah totally agree on cost, etc. I see this more in the real of Class 11 or Vintage guys. I'm just day dreaming but at a race like the Mint, for example...I would see it as a sportsman class. Two laps, hell maybe even just one. But if the Class 11 guys can get around, I would think cars that fit this class could too. I see it as more of a fun sportsman kind of thing. Or again, maybe it would fall under the vintage category. I'm pretty sure it will never happen but...I also think it wouldn't be that hard to work out to make a place for those guys to run.

And for perspective, I think I could put together a build sheet for an old Mustang, for example, that would be way cheaper than even a mid pack 1450 these days. And I bet my off road Mustang would get way more attention, lol.
Bear with me here, but I've come up with the class I can afford. Class 69. Must be street legal, working doors, windows, windshield wipers etc. A/C optional. Cage optional. Open face helmets allowed. One lap for glory. See you at the races, Jay
IMG_5189.jpg

J Prich

Reaction
Bear with me here, but I've come up with the class I can afford. Class 69. Must be street legal, working doors, windows, windshield wipers etc. A/C optional. Cage optional. Open face helmets allowed. One lap for glory. See you at the races, JayView attachment 228843
That class already exists. Would have been cool to see the Tacoma race against the Colorado.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I love the gamblers! The boss of that and I had a couple talks in the early days his events. I forget which one of you gave him my number because we did Lemons and "Rental Car Rally" but, thanks. I happy to be friends with him.

He did not want it to be about being the fastest or first. I explained its hard to remove the competitiveness from a thing like his. My squad was about as pro as you could get at Rental Car Rally and that wasn't supposed to be about winning. (We won our our first try)

The solution was to make the winner the guy with the most perfectly average time. If first took one hour and last took 2 hours then the guy who did it in 1:30 got the win. (And the dude who was the actual fastest got a bowling ball through his windshield.)

Dunno if that's what they ended up doing but it was the plan at some point.

J Prich

Reaction
I love the gamblers! The boss of that and I had a couple talks in the early days his events. I forget which one of you gave him my number because we did Lemons and "Rental Car Rally" but, thanks. I happy to be friends with him.

He did not want it to be about being the fastest or first. I explained its hard to remove the competitiveness from a thing like his. My squad was about as pro as you could get at Rental Car Rally and that wasn't supposed to be about winning. (We won our our first try)

The solution was to make the winner the guy with the most perfectly average time. If first took one hour and last took 2 hours then the guy who did it in 1:30 got the win. (And the dude who was the actual fastest got a bowling ball through his windshield.)

Dunno if that's what they ended up doing but it was the plan at some point.
Yeah I don't mean to suggest Class 6/production sedan race cars are apples to apples to Gambler guys, I just think there is a path there. Obviously there gig is way more light hearted than "real" racing and the cars they are building are meant to be beaters. Not a lot, if any that could go turn a lap around Parker, Jean, etc and survive probably...at a reasonable pace anyway. BUT...of that crowd I do think it wouldn't be a stretch to think that a handful of them may be interested in sexing up what they already have to make them competitive to race in a real desert race. They are already 70% there or whatever with the cars they are building, they just need a bit more work to boost durability, etc.

J Prich

Reaction
It's too bad Brandon Walsh keeps DNF'ing even when he is the only entry. Also, LOL at the classis Leno face.
Different classes, if that matters. Leno and now the Colorado race in 7300 in BITD which is kind of a more true 7S. As opposed to 7100 where you can run long travel, big leaf packs in the rear, etc. Walsh is racing 7F, whatever the heck that is in SCORE.

We raced in 2017 and started right in front of Leno. We had joked around about following him on the first lap and leap frogging him because we figured we'd be sure to get some cool camera time if we are always in the shot, lol. We ended up not doing that, breaking the truck, and calling it a very early day. Later that afternoon we went to the Knight Ranch whoops/spectator area and we're hanging out watching TT's go by and one of the media guys in a stock truck went cruising by at like 10 mph. Someone near us yelled out that he was faster than Leno at least, lol.

Jokes aside I think it was cool that Camburg built that truck and put Leno in it. Brilliant idea. They got more national visibility than the TT's and they were rocking a stock Tacoma. Smart way to get visibility for their products, etc. I wish that truck would have raced more. A couple of stock 7300 trucks battling it out would make for a fun manufacturer's arms race.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Yeah I don't mean to suggest Class 6/production sedan race cars are apples to apples to Gambler guys, I just think there is a path there. Obviously there gig is way more light hearted than "real" racing and the cars they are building are meant to be beaters. Not a lot, if any that could go turn a lap around Parker, Jean, etc and survive probably...at a reasonable pace anyway. BUT...of that crowd I do think it wouldn't be a stretch to think that a handful of them may be interested in sexing up what they already have to make them competitive to race in a real desert race. They are already 70% there or whatever with the cars they are building, they just need a bit more work to boost durability, etc.
I would say 70 percent there is a stretch. LOL.

Those are hoopties! But I am infatuated with the street car on off road tires concept. Almost bought a 97 lexus last week to start my own.

I bet any Class 6 in a big race would get decent visibility/coverage even if they just raced themselves.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Website
www.nwoffroad.net
Gambler500 / HooptieX / GORRA (Gambler Off Road Racing Assn) has safety and basic class rules. Besides HooptieX (offroad rally cross) there are plans for a 100+ mile race in 2022. It’s basically a run-what-ya-bring with safety stuff (think ROR) - this keeps it stupid fun. And besides the beater Gambler 500 type cars, there is a class for build desert vehicles (SuperSoft). Gambugly will be at Mint HooptieX. ABG/ABR

Attachments

• 79CD5728-BC5A-430F-BD7F-049899EB82CF.jpeg
    79CD5728-BC5A-430F-BD7F-049899EB82CF.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 6BE90F4B-212E-430A-957C-39C5BC8264E4.jpeg
    6BE90F4B-212E-430A-957C-39C5BC8264E4.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

Josh 8

Reaction
Ok. Dont pile on and tell what a Albert Henry I am. I realize it.

I could not figure out what this gambler thing was you all are talking about. All could guess was it was some old obscure class 6 amc that James Garner raced in 1973. 😜

Then with blue coyote’s post the light came on👍. This looks really cool. I just might have to do it with my bronco.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Ok. Dont pile on and tell what a Albert Henry I am. I realize it.

I could not figure out what this gambler thing was you all are talking about. All could guess was it was some old obscure class 6 amc that James Garner raced in 1973. 😜

Then with blue coyote’s post the light came on👍. This looks really cool. I just might have to do it with my bronco.
I'm sure your Bronco is really nice.... and really way above the playing field for Gambler500. Their theory revolves around a $500 car. Lots of raised Crown Vics, Subaru's with really wide tires, fur lined VW bus's, etc. I would put them as more of a super redneck social event than a race. When you see 5 cars stopped with chairs out, drinking beers under a railroad bridge, its clearly not a race

Bowling ball rule still applies

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm sure your Bronco is really nice.... and really way above the playing field for Gambler500. Their theory revolves around a $500 car. Lots of raised Crown Vics, Subaru's with really wide tires, fur lined VW bus's, etc. I would put them as more of a super redneck social event than a race. When you see 5 cars stopped with chairs out, drinking beers under a railroad bridge, its clearly not a race

Bowling ball rule still applies
Agreed that its more akin to 24hr of lemons than real racing...