Class 650 - "Vintage Vehicle" in DRIVE Series

dwasser

We are introducing a new class to the DRIVE Series

The new class will be……. “Class 650 - Vintage Vehicles” and will be a Sportsman class. The rules are simple…….Car must be “Vintage” and pass all safety requirements. It will include original Class 6 vehicles as well as many other vehicles that have been collecting the wrong kind of dust. We don’t want to add a bunch of restrictions and we feel that the owners of these vehicles can police themselves as far as “sandbaggers”. The goal is to give these amazing cars and trucks a place to go have fun, run together, and swap stories about racing, restoration, and whatever else they want.

After seeing the AUTOFAB El Camino run at the ORW GP and seeing the response it got from the racers and the spectators we realized that there is a group of vintage race vehicle owners out there that may want a place to go and compete as well as have fun. John, the owner of the El Camino told me that he was a little reluctant to bring it out and run it. He was worried about people giving him a hard time. He called me a few days after the race to compliment DRIVE and most important, compliment all the people at the race for the warm reception of this “outdated” race car.

I spoke to John today and he is the first entry at the November 7th Phantom 200 for the new Class. Class 650 – Vintage Vehicle.

We are looking forward to seeing more vintage cars racing in Plaster City.

I want to thank John from Elite Auto Services for bringing this idea forward and John from AUTOFAB for his advise and as always Ramsey for his experience and creativity.

I’m sure there will be some kinks to work out, but the goal is FUN.

trent06

Mush
By vintage I am assuming anything eligible for a historic license plate 25 years old would count. This I think is an awesome class but as said there could be some sand baggers. Looking forward to some of the entries this class could bring out. And yes I still gotta make it out to my first drive race!

Trent

dwasser

By vintage I am assuming anything eligible for a historic license plate 25 years old would count. This I think is an awesome class but as said there could be some sand baggers. Looking forward to some of the entries this class could bring out. And yes I still gotta make it out to my first drive race!

Trent
The NORRA Mexican Rally had a date of pre 1989. We aren't assigning a cutoff date at this point. I feel like the owners of these vehicles could work it out. I can't imagine someone with a "built" car or truck would try to sandbag. They would just end up looking like a jerk. That's why we are making it sportsman. It's all about fun.

We would love to have you out to a race. You can always call me with questions.
760-791-7663

TreyP

"F" you Bill
DRIVE does it again. Now I wish I could tell the other secret.:D 2010 is going to be awesome for the DRIVE PC series. Desert racing like it should be.

baja_racer

Trent
Trent,
I would bet that Brutus will qualify......bring her out to play!!!

Rory

Crayola Killer
The NORRA Mexican Rally had a date of pre 1989. We aren't assigning a cutoff date at this point. I feel like the owners of these vehicles could work it out. I can't imagine someone with a "built" car or truck would try to sandbag. They would just end up looking like a jerk. That's why we are making it sportsman. It's all about fun.

We would love to have you out to a race. You can always call me with questions.
760-791-7663
Ya know, I really take offense stating that anything with a date of "Pre 1989" would be considered VINTAGE. I hate getting &*&#%$# old! :D

trent06

Mush
Trent,
I would bet that Brutus will qualify......bring her out to play!!!
I know, except I dont know if I would be considered the sand bagger then! LOL

Ya know, I really take offense stating that anything with a date of "Pre 1989" would be considered VINTAGE. I hate getting &*&#%$# old! :D
Dont feel too bad Rory, If it is pre-1989 then I am considered vintage as well!:eek:

harleys dad

Great Idea Doug, I hope class 6 owners bring that old iron out. I guess a Saab isnt iron but it would be nice to see some run again

ocotilo

its good to see drive taking the sport to a new level and listening to other people for suggestions, the phantom 200 should be a great show

billy1911

Can you build a new vehicle starting with a vintage turck or car. and use vintage parts? I guess what I mean is does the vehicle have to of been raced before?

dwasser

There is now some extra incentive for the "650" class. Elite Auto has put up $200 to the winner to help cover entry fees.

The new class is definitely generating some interest. It should be a real treat to watch these cars go at it.

Thanks AGAIN John and Elite Auto Services!