Class 7 - tube vs. factory frame

pgarfinkle

Which do you think is better and why? Can a factory frame truck compete against a tube frame if all other factors are even?

cancholaJR

well first of all if it has tube frame it would be a class 6 but anyways,
I really think that a well tuned class 7(factory frame) can compete against a well tuned class 6(tube frame) with not any problem.
at least till now, there is no big diference between class 7 and class 6 trucks...

Bajated

I'd say that a tube chassis has the advantage of being lighter and not restricting upper wheel travel which can allow a lower ride height, however experience shows that the driver and the reliability of the machine are probably the two most important factors in competitiveness.

pgarfinkle

I realize a tube frame would be a class 6 in SCORE but not in any other series, ie BITD.

What I am looking for is whether it is worth building a factory frame to compete against the tube frame? I already have a truck to build but I do not want to put the $ into just to be gunned.

nimrod

KOOK!
the Desert Assassins are about to find out. Jamie Campbell, Jeff Laubshure, Alan Trimble, Renee and all the boys just completely tore down Heidi's old 7sx. Nothing left but the frame and cab cage. totally rebuilt her as a 7 open but are gonna be running it in 6......

We had a few issues at Primm with the engine but so far right out of the box things are looking good!

It does sit a little higher with the frame but Jamie got a pretty dang good dose of travel out of her. He's a genius.

I can't wait to see how things go at the Mil!!

PAB

40's rock!
the Desert Assassins are about to find out. Jamie Campbell, Jeff Laubshure, Alan Trimble, Renee and all the boys just completely tore down Heidi's old 7sx. Nothing left but the frame and cab cage. totally rebuilt her as a 7 open but are gonna be running it in 6......

We had a few issues at Primm with the engine but so far right out of the box things are looking good!

It does sit a little higher with the frame but Jamie got a pretty dang good dose of travel out of her. He's a genius.

I can't wait to see how things go at the Mil!!
Nimmy you forgot that said crew made this truck from Camburg components and they (Jerry and Jason at Camburg) were a part of the effort from the engineering of their supplied product and conception of the unlimited mid size truck "with a frame"

I think there is a post in the "build" section of RDC posted by builder Jamie Campbell.

Heidi, Rene, Jamie, Bean and Myself will be testing this trucks ability against purpose built 7, 6 and 7200 trucks at selected races. So far we really like the "mini mule"

tcm glx

Nimmy you forgot that said crew made this truck from Camburg components and they (Jerry and Jason at Camburg) were a part of the effort from the engineering of their supplied product and conception of the unlimited mid size truck "with a frame"

I think there is a post in the "build" section of RDC posted by builder Jamie Campbell.

Heidi, Rene, Jamie, Bean and Myself will be testing this trucks ability against purpose built 7, 6 and 7200 trucks at selected races. So far we really like the "mini mule"
PAB, you forgot to mention that the camburg components are off the shelf aren't they...... If I remember correctly, in the build they mention they went with the off the shelf Camburg stuff, not crazy expensive one off (goes to show the level of quality of Burgs stuff)

SuperRanger

I realize a tube frame would be a class 6 in SCORE but not in any other series, ie BITD.

What I am looking for is whether it is worth building a factory frame to compete against the tube frame? I already have a truck to build but I do not want to put the $ into just to be gunned.
We run a truck with a frame in 7200. There are several tube frame trucks that sit a lot lower and look much more competitive. The bottom line is that they are more competitive because they don't have the same limitations. Nobody is putting in a factory frame to make them go faster. With that said, we haven't exactly gotten our doors blown off. These are long long races and I think that reliability of the truck and the skill of the driver are just as important.

I have no idea if it will happen or not, but I have heard talk of the desire to set up BITD similar to SCORE with a class for each.

pgarfinkle

Can't wait to see it. It was great running against the 7sx truck in a few races. Good luck, i am sure this truck will be just as competive as the it was before.

Dezertpilot

Yes a framed truck can compete in my eyes, Ruanes Orbit truck is wicked fast and will always be competitive, well at least for a few more years.

Random Thoughts Racing

It would seem that the initial descision would be "do I have the money to build an entire tube frame truck from scratch" vs. starting with a factory truck, racing it with some geometry limitations, and slowly cutting and converting to tube frame as needed.

The slowest factory framed truck in the race is still faster than the tube frame project that is still sitting in the garage waiting on funds.

pgarfinkle

Any insight on how much travel? How does it handle due to sitting high?

tcm glx

It would seem that the initial descision would be "do I have the money to build an entire tube frame truck from scratch" vs. starting with a factory truck, racing it with some geometry limitations, and slowly cutting and converting to tube frame as needed.

The slowest factory framed truck in the race is still faster than the tube frame project that is still sitting in the garage waiting on funds.
:eek: Boom!! Sooo true!

baja619

How many class 7 are being built by race shops (not home grown)?

How many class 6 are being built " " " " ?

You can tell the future by looking at the current time.

JCampbell

"1" time champ
Motor subject to change,for now 4.0L sohc,some other things to be sorted out before the BAJA MIL!

Samco Fab

Ouch, that hits home:(

I will be fast.......someday.....when I have more time and money:cool: