Class 8 old school

Desert wolf 4x4

hi guys I'm new to the site I'm down in southern Oregon. I'm working on a Class 8 truck. 94 Ford F250. I've been told that was the 64 in Springs and shackle flip I have read that you can get at least 18 in. But so far I'm only been able to max out at 13 and a half. Any pointers out there. And is there anybody that is building Class 8 prerunners and building them in the Southern Oregon area K Falls to Bend Oregon area. thank you guys

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

Yes, but why? Coils and links are legal. They are much easier to maintain and handle better. Even if you only had 18" of travel with couls and links you would still be way better off in all departments.

Desert wolf 4x4

Thank you guys and I have raced with leaf springs. My 68 Chevy C10 with i-beams front. When I raced Back in 88 89. this girl is getting built on a very tight budget right now in time I will run link suspension and coil

Josh 8

13” Or 14” inches of front travel in the front of a full size truck is always scary. From my personal experience it takes right at 15.5” of front travel to get a front end to start working right. 18” is great. After this the travel gains are not noticed near as much.

Less that 15.5” and you will not have any droop travel from ride height. And if you set your truck up low so you have droop travel then you won’t have enough up travel to absorb hits. So you end up driving slow and hating it. If you speed up then you start crashing into things and bouncing off and around in an uncontrollable way. And that’s scary.

And btw, if you are trying to make 15 or 16 inches work, your shocks have to good and dialed near perfectly. You can not just bolt on some Kings, turn some screws and expect it to rock!

Last edited:

Desert wolf 4x4

13” Or 14” inches of front travel in the front of a full size truck is always scary. From my personal experience it takes right at 15.5” of front travel to get a front end to start working right. 18” is great. After this the travel gains are not noticed near as much.

Less that 15.5” and you will not have any droop travel from ride height. And if you set your truck up low so you have droop travel then you won’t have enough up travel to absorb hits. So you end up driving slow and hating it. If you speed up then you start crashing into things and bouncing off and around in an uncontrollable way. And that’s scary.

And btw, if you are trying to make 15 or 16 inches work, your shocks have to good and dialed near perfectly. You can not just bolt on some Kings, turn some screws and expect it to rock!
Yeah I was going to kind of thinking about 15 to 16 on the front. My Chevy had 15 inches of travel on the front it would do 18 on the back. But we strapped at for 17 inches I am definitely thinking King shocks going to set this truck up similar to it. Very old school built on low budget. the Chevy had 6in coils on the front take me to doing the same things here with the I beams. And I thank you

jon coleman

soooo, 10 wooppping inches of jeepspeed awsome gave me a little taste?, all those things you describe is on the NOSE!!,16 it is, i just Dont want to spend money i Dont have.heads up, nice fox shocks front& rears, on craigs list for jeep xj, one is bent shaft,slightly, & some og pro comp monotubes adjustable with hoops offerd 500, said no, ( he thought about it).just posted.foxs are decent overall.chula vista