Class 8 questions

SMS81

Reaction
I am currently updating a class 8 for use in score/bitd and have a few questions;
Do we still have to retain a stock metal cab?
Is it allowable to notch the rear frame rail to gain suspension travel?
Thank you for your help

Mcarlson1

Reaction
I dont think the steel cab is mandatory anymore, all the new 8 trucks being built have full fiberglass bodies so i dont think you need the steel cab, i know in BITD you can notch the frame but in SCORE i am pretty sure you cant do it unless the rules have changed in the last couple years. You can go on BITD's site and look at their rule book and scores as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

trent06

Mush
Reaction
They steel cab is definitely not mandatory anymore, and I have always been under the impression that you arent suppose to alter the frame in any ways. I.E. Notching, Lengthning, Shortening, etc.

GregFoutz

Reaction
I am currently updating a class 8 for use in score/bitd and have a few questions;
Do we still have to retain a stock metal cab?
Is it allowable to notch the rear frame rail to gain suspension travel?
Thank you for your help
For sure you dont need steel cab.... I also dont think you can notch or cut the frame for any reason. No removal of material in the frame rails. The Best in the Desert rule book is posted on their web site too at www.bitd.com. That way you can read it easy.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
For sure you dont need steel cab.... I also dont think you can notch or cut the frame for any reason. No removal of material in the frame rails. The Best in the Desert rule book is posted on their web site too at www.bitd.com. That way you can read it easy.
BITD is letting the class 8 guys notch the frame where the rear end bumps, up to the top lip.

Score does not let you cut the frame, allthough as of a couple of years ago you can channel the frame, as lon as the engine moves with it.

GregFoutz

Reaction
BITD is letting the class 8 guys notch the frame where the rear end bumps, up to the top lip.

Score does not let you cut the frame, allthough as of a couple of years ago you can channel the frame, as lon as the engine moves with it.
WOW.... What a can of worms to open up. It would be nice if the race promoters kept the rules the same.... That way when someone builds a truck its good for all of the major series. That way you dont end up with a "Special" truck when you go to race somewhere else or go to sell it.... Oh well... Thats my 2 cents... I guess you get what you pay for.... 2 cents.....

Mark Newhan

Reaction
WOW.... What a can of worms to open up. It would be nice if the race promoters kept the rules the same.... That way when someone builds a truck its good for all of the major series. That way you dont end up with a "Special" truck when you go to race somewhere else or go to sell it.... Oh well... Thats my 2 cents... I guess you get what you pay for.... 2 cents.....
The guys that race BITD and also the Baja races have a bolt in section to replace the material that was removed. I guess that the shock tuning goes out the window, lol.

Our new truck has a channeled frame, we also intend to race BITD races... not sure how it will be received.

Reaction
The guys that race BITD and also the Baja races have a bolt in section to replace the material that was removed. I guess that the shock tuning goes out the window, lol.

Our new truck has a channeled frame, we also intend to race BITD races... not sure how it will be received.
BITD allows 3.5 inch notch above the rear axle, but the top of the frame rail has to be stock. SCORE does not allow any modification.

"Channeled" frames are not legal per current BITD rules, but their rules are really screwed up and do not apply or conform to the current state of the Class in any organization including their own.

Class 8 as a whole is a mess - rules suck and nobody pays any attention to them anyway.

gunit

Reaction
Can you guys please explain to me what a "channeled" frame is, I am not familiar with this term. Is this where the frame is mounted higher in the chassis relative to the suspension components?

Schlingmann

Reaction
BITD allows 3.5 inch notch above the rear axle, but the top of the frame rail has to be stock. SCORE does not allow any modification.

"Channeled" frames are not legal per current BITD rules, but their rules are really screwed up and do not apply or conform to the current state of the Class in any organization including their own.

Class 8 as a whole is a mess - rules suck and nobody pays any attention to them anyway.
Hey Ramsey, I know you've been there and done (a lot of) that, but I do think people pay attention to the 8s. I can remember racing in a jeep and you were "one of the many". I get so many thumbs up, pumped fists and "non-middle-finger-gestures" its awesome and encouraging just to be out there. Its definitely a lot of work, but blowing through the woops with the pedal mashed and a smile on my face is sooo worth it :)

mkiefer

Reaction
I was really bummed out about the no notching for score. But then i reallized i cant race score cause the truck only has an 1 3/4 4130 cage. Then i was really mad cause pro trucks are 1.5, but i guess thats ok because bill designed them and he makes the rules. I wish everyones rules were basicly the same.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
You think thats tough, try getting a FIA certificate for a cage:eek: You either have to build one and have it smashed or show an engineers model report that shows what would happen if were to be crushed. Total PITA. Thats why I only do amature rallyes (that, and they are a heck of a lot cheaper!)