On Topic Class 8 Truck Owners, Why-When-Where

Josh 8

Reaction
Try restricting oil to the top end. Also check cam bearing and lifter clearances. Lots of areas to drop pressure there. Another thing I have seen is lifter bores that are out of square to the cam. Causes some weird things to happen. The only fix without replacing the block is to Bush the lifter bores.

Yes. I agree. And your advise is appreciated. I have been thinking the lifters could be the issue. But there hydraulic flat tappet. I have run this engine with the valve cover off and it’s not throwing an excessive amount of oil to the rockers. It’s just send drips off a 2500 rpm. So that looks right. I the first engine build I went with a roller cam. Then I installed the roller lifters in back wards so the oil hole was exposed to the oil gallery. That flooded the top end. I correct this and then found a low out pressure issue with the engine. I actually ran that engine some and it lost most of its oil pressure. I pulled it out and the mains were shot. Interestingly, the rod bearing looked totally fine. There the 2.5” Ford rod journals. Not sure how a Chevy 2.3” rod bearing would hold up. All I can figure that the centrifugal force of the crack kept the rod oiled. So the crank was shot and main saddles got hot too so I had all that reworked. I then said screw it and installed hydraulic lifters in this engine. And buy the way the roller cam was restricted to one side of the lifters. I took the restrictor out for the hydraulic lifters. Could I be crushing the hydraulic lifters with to much valve sling force causing the problem? Would sold lifter be better? The lifter holes in the block look good. I would guess the block is really low miles. It was a roush built engine for a factory ford racing team to use in there prerunner. And that’s where the old oil pump came from that worked so well. And btw, it was just a normal melling pump. It look totally normal. When it broke off I tossed it in the scrap pile. I had no idea at that time I would waste the next 2 years chasing my tail.

Last edited:

bajaboy7

Reaction
So here is where I am at. I have my base motor 460 on a run stand. It’s built to 535. .03 over at 4.390 bore and 4.4 stroke. Lotta cam, trick flow a460 heads. 10.25 compression. Hope fully it will run well on pump gas. But I have a problem. I have been chasing a oiling issue in the engine for the last 3 builds! This began about 3 years ago. As the engine revs it loses oil pressure. I know 460 have a goofy front plug situation so I am going to take the front cover and timing chain out Monday and check that to be sure I got the plugs in correct. In this build I even went with the Kaase oil pump. I starts with a 100 psi of oil but as is warms it he pressure drops to about 50 at 5000 rpm. And it’s not the low end. I had the block machined. Crank turned and hardened. Mains have .003” and rods are .0015” clearance.

So before I show to any races I have to get this fixed.

I know nothing about fords or 460s, but check to make sure the lifters with that big cam are not exposing the oiling hole in the lifter bore. I've seen cam bore changes and large lift cams cause the lifter to go too high and allow the oil to shoot right back in the block hence low oil pressure. since its great cold (thick) you might be right on the edge of ok and its just barley exposing the hole.

scottm

Reaction
Wow, you have been fighting this for a while. The only other idea that comes to my mind is the windage tray. Smooth sheetmetal trays have been blamed for Causing windage issues. More effective trays look like expanded metal screens. He is one I found real quickly on ebay. The openings act like many little scoops:

On another subject - I see your B pillar hoop is outside your cab. Seems like an awesome idea to get more helmet room, but is it score legal?

Josh 8

Reaction
Bajaboy7, I will look at that.

Scott, as for the B pillar. Well I can’t remember seeing anything in the rules about a external B pillar. There is for a door bar. But that’s in there. It was tagged by score the way it is.

4224EC24-3A21-4AA4-B6B4-1D25000CAB37.jpeg

As for the windage tray, it has neither helped nor hurt from the results I have seen. This all started with a stock pan and no windage tray. So when it began I thought I might be running out of oil so I went to an 8 quart pan with the tray. It has not helped at all. And to be clear, right at a year ago when the last engine went south for a second time, I was so pissed I threw my hands up and quite pushing so hard to fix it. I slowed down and had all the parts remachined to make sure the low end is 100% correct.

It’s probably something really simple.

Last edited:
Reaction
Find Mark Beeler and see what he suggests. He ran a big Ford in his old I-beam stepside that did very well in BITD, so long as the Ford money held out.

I believe he's in the PHX area.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Making headway, even thought I broke my ankle Aug 31. Trying to take care of a lot of little item. Hired Loose Nuts Racing to start ordering parts for and do our wiring. Goal is to be ready for 2020 season.
We will run Snore Class 8 if others enter. If there are no entry's we will race Trophy Truck. If BITD gets some 8 entries we will run our class. We are also considering running 6100 spec, our motors Is about the same HO as the new 525, everything else about the truck would be legal for the class. If we place they can go ahead and protest us . I don't care, They can just be embarrassed a 140k Class 8 Legal truck put a woopin on there 300K truck! It's coming. May even run Trophy Truck like the German Race Team is doing. The placed 16 in V2R. Maybe BITD will give us Class 8 guys All the 80s Race numbers, I wouldn't mind us starting within the first 75 racer.

Josh 8

Reaction
Evans, that's a good looking truck. Have you ever considered racing in Mexico? I grew up going down there as a teenager but had not gone down for probably 20 years when I went down with a friend and the race truck about 5 years ago. I was nervous at first but at this point now there's less stress down there than up here. All the alphabet agencies up here wanna fine you for anything.

And on a different/better note, my engine is holding 60 psi once warmed up. I switched to 50 wt oil and all is better. I don't rally know what the issue is for 100% sure but I am going to put it in and see what happens. If I toast it I might just put in an LS what ever in and run spec class. At this point I have come to the intersection of indifference. Right where "could not care" and "less street" cross with this engine.

Last edited:

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Never consider Mexico, heard good and bad stories. The last restoration of a 8 I did was a HM, sold it to a group in Texas. The won the last 500 with it.
I use 5w 50 Shaffers oil- in our 460. Not sure if Wayne Miller with Loose Nuts continued to run it.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Evans, that's a good looking truck. Have you ever considered racing in Mexico? I grew up going down there as a teenager but had not gone down for probably 20 years when I went down with a friend and the race truck about 5 years ago. I was nervous at first but at this point now there's less stress down there than up here. All the alphabet agencies up here wanna fine you for anything.

And on a different/better note, my engine is holding 60 psi once warmed up. I switched to 50 wt oil and all is better. I don't rally know what the issue is for 100% sure but I am going to put it in and see what happens. If I toast it I might just put in an LS what ever in and run spec class. At this point I have come to the intersection of indifference. Right where "could not care" and "less street" cross with this engine.
I had not taken into account oil type. I'm glad you found a band aid or resolution to your issue. I've experienced heat soak causing an oil pressure loss in more than one engine. I'm not convinced that a viscosity change was the right answer in all cases. But if you can get through another race or two. Im happy for you.

Josh 8

Reaction
I agree with you. My buddy asked the question on a bbf site and a lot of guys came back and said comp cam lifters are known for pumping to much oil to the top end and losing pressure with rpm. Supposedly Crain cams makes a oil controlled lifter that works better. I am going to swap these in before I take if off the stand.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Trucks looking real good so far, lotta blood, sweat, and tears, but pays off.
It would be so awesome to see the 8’s back on the field.
If you get ahold of that list from Noah send it my way please.
The guy with the list from what I heard was Danny Crew Chief for Locations Racing, They ran a Class 8 and it was Rick Hannas Team, Last I saw Rick and his daughter were running a trophy Lite 3000 class with other groups. Also I do believe some with SNORE had this list as well. Danny runs the charity event Cops for kids I believe, holds the event in Laughlin every year at Christmas, At the Snore race Rage at the River.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
anyone know what happened to Benny canelas class 8

My dad (Ramiro Gonzalez) was partnered with him through a good portion of the 80's/90's. I'll see if he knows what happened to it. Last I saw it, they had it on display at the CODE Hechicera race in Tecate back in 2016. It still had the red "Escandalo" livery. I was lucky enough to get a ride with him a couple of years before he passed. That truck sure hauled the mail!

PeteRock

Reaction
With all this class 8 talk, and the recent Norra event, makes me want to start building one. I got the pre-runner, now I need the race truck to match, just like Brian Collins back in the day.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Cody Swanty is getting the X-Curt LeDuc/Macrae Glass class 8 truck reworked over at Collins Motorsports. Cody is all of 6'5" and Curt and Macrae are well under that so head clearance is a problem.....and knees. From the talks I've had with Cody he just wants to go out and have fun, race a few selected races each year but also would like to be competitive and have some competition. The first outing in the truck could possibly be the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000 and then the Baja 1000. The longer races will give him more seat time and more bang for his buck. There is a chance he might hit a smaller race in there somewhere but the truck has to get finished first.

macrae-glass5.jpg

Josh 8

Reaction
Cody Swanty is getting the X-Curt LeDuc/Macrae Glass class 8 truck reworked over at Collins Motorsports. Cody is all of 6'5" and Curt and Macrae are well under that so head clearance is a problem.....and knees. From the talks I've had with Cody he just wants to go out and have fun, race a few selected races each year but also would like to be competitive and have some competition. The first outing in the truck could possibly be the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000 and then the Baja 1000. The longer races will give him more seat time and more bang for his buck. There is a chance he might hit a smaller race in there somewhere but the truck has to get finished first.

View attachment 205665

That would be great. I totally agree with him on 2020. If I can get my pos figured out I wanna be there with him at NORRA 20.

But...... Dude..... get and new photo. You have warn that one out. Even if you have to go testing with them to get a new one. Get a new one.

It’s all lols. But seriously I learned a lot from Curt and that truck. I was shocked in about 04’ when I looked at it at contingency at the mil and all it had was a 2,5 coil over and 2.5 bypass shock. I looked at that and then realized how important a good shock tune was.

How many races did he win with that thing? How many top 5 overalls did he have with that truck?

I know I had 45 minutes on him in some race in southern Nevada. Then only to started clubbing rocks and getting flats (about 6). And he passed me. I was so pissed. My brother was actually riding with me and he was so pissed at me he would not get out to change the last one. I had to do that on my own. Lols.

After that is when Dan Smith told me I had to have the confidence to slow down. I wonder when I will learn it!

Last edited: