On Topic Class 8 Truck Owners, Why-When-Where

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
I talked with Danny from Locations Racing yesterday. He was the Class 8 Representative at the time he had it. He DID have a Class 8 e-mail list he used to send notifications to racers before every event. He purged it from his e-mail several years after they sold there truck. He obtained and put together his list by contacting each race organization and asking for any info they had. he called many to get e-mail address and collected them from racers.

BajaFand

Reaction
I talked with Danny from Locations Racing yesterday. He was the Class 8 Representative at the time he had it. He DID have a Class 8 e-mail list he used to send notifications to racers before every event. He purged it from his e-mail several years after they sold there truck. He obtained and put together his list by contacting each race organization and asking for any info they had. he called many to get e-mail address and collected them from racers.

They sold their ex-Kyle Taylor truck? Where is it now?

BajaFand

Reaction
He said it was here in Vegas, I don't recall the guys name. They started a bunch of changes on a truck that ran great. Didn't Finnish the changes and it's been sitting for 4 years now.

Too bad, it’s an older build so I’m sure could’ve used some updates but that truck was fast enough the way it was. It was the truck to beat until Curt showed up and Kyle moved into TT.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Just an FYI to the Ford Chassis Trucks,
The new Ford Spec motor Boss M- 6007-Z2427FFT 535 HP is a 9.5 deck Steel Block that is legal for 6100 and Class 8 If you have a Ford chassis, due to it being Cast Iron block. Turn Key indicated the motor will sell tagged at $11,200.00 Without the manifold Carb or distributor, Plus you can order the motor in rear sump oil pan. They are to be ordered separate and do not come with the motor. Block will arrive to you tagged. They will verify at the race event you have the correct manifold , Carb and distributor.

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
Well that would be the a great option for class 8 running 1450/1400pro. The reason is Most Class 8 Trucks DO NOT HAVE WORKING DOORS. Required for 1450/1400. However most all legal class 8 Have full frames weighing 2600 to 3200 lbs depending on the frame! Now that they 1400 Pro they should let the 8 trucks race there. My thoughts as a option. I haven't seen more then 4 trucks run the 1400 pro class, while it sounded like 20 guys originally wanted the new 1400 pro class. The 1450 guys wanted to run all the laps so they made this class and the faster 1450 were going move up to it and spread out the 65 trucks that enter 1450 into 2 groups in SNORE. Not sure if it's the same in MORE. But I think it's a good spot for the 8s go. But most 1450/1400 guys think 8s are to fast to run with them! I hear a few of the 1400 pro guys have complain about not having the total number of trucks that originally committed to running the new class show up! Now BITD has opened up class 8 to 1450 or 1400 guys who have back/half there trucks, and this also allows SNORE's heavy metal class to run in BITD class 8.

Nailed it! They wanted payback and a pro class, we gave it to them and only a few guys stepped up, even though they all voted for it. I like the idea letting 8's run 1450 pro. Our 1450 pro trucks at SNORE are damn near TT's, I cant see how they would complain that the 8's are too fast. They do get their panties all wadded up about the stupid doors though.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Nailed it! They wanted payback and a pro class, we gave it to them and only a few guys stepped up, even though they all voted for it. I like the idea letting 8's run 1450 pro. Our 1450 pro trucks at SNORE are damn near TT's, I cant see how they would complain that the 8's are too fast. They do get their panties all wadded up about the stupid doors though.

A friend and myself did extensive research years ago into the Frame weights of the most popular frames used for class 8 Trucks. The truck frames weighed from 2750 pounds to 3350 pounds respectively. So a truck without a cab or working doors greatly out weighs an truck with working doors. Whereas that 1400 pro may have a complete tubular chassis, no front or rear frame. To me they no longer have anything to do with 1450. It should be just called Unlimited 1400 Pro. Lets have at it. Hell let them remove there steel doors, its a pain in the but to find and reinstall cabs and doors when they have a rollover. Lets get it on!!!

Josh 8

Reaction
B1885F23-05BD-492E-B5FB-19D47B61B27C.jpeg

Well....

Today I dug in the engine to change the lifters out. When I pulled the pan off in order to get the front cover off, I found it full of little chunks of steel. All I can figure is the break in process went wrong. I had a new set of crane lifter so I got in Summits site and have a new cam and case of brad penn oil on the way.

That spec ford 427 is looking better every day.

Last edited:

scottm

Reaction
Time for a roller solid lifter cam Josh.

Josh 8

Reaction
Actually the best cam I have ever had in this engine is a flat tapet. And I have tried about 6 cams. 3 being roller. The most radical was for a boat. It was like a 84’ rm 125. Cam on like a light switch at 3500. Pulled to 7500. Got rubber at the local drag strip (aka airport) at 90 grabbing 3rd. It’s was pretty much undrivable. I loved it. It still had a radical idle at 2k.

The one that going in is the best all around performance I have found.

I have found roller to be mellow and I hate that bronze gear.

Btw, I used crappy oil in it to break it in. It’s my fault. Should have used brad penn in the beginning.

Last edited:

Slippery P

Reaction
You can get a solid roller cam with an aggressive lobe ramp if that it what you like, it will be hard on the valve train. Flat tappets will continue to die.

scottm

Reaction
Real race roller cams for drag and circle track are very hard on the valvetrain. My last cam was a comp cams street profile on a steel core. The bigger street profiles still have good numbers but with more gentle ramps for longer life. That engine was in my truck for 8 years with no problems.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Cody Swanty is getting the X-Curt LeDuc/Macrae Glass class 8 truck reworked over at Collins Motorsports. Cody is all of 6'5" and Curt and Macrae are well under that so head clearance is a problem.....and knees. From the talks I've had with Cody he just wants to go out and have fun, race a few selected races each year but also would like to be competitive and have some competition. The first outing in the truck could possibly be the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000 and then the Baja 1000. The longer races will give him more seat time and more bang for his buck. There is a chance he might hit a smaller race in there somewhere but the truck has to get finished first.

View attachment 205665
Just wondering how the updating on your truck is going at the Collin's Race shop, any updated photos of work. I personal wouldn't mess the geometry of the suspension, when its driven hard it seams to work fantastic. I observed this truck for many years.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Cody Swanty is getting the X-Curt LeDuc/Macrae Glass class 8 truck reworked over at Collins Motorsports. Cody is all of 6'5" and Curt and Macrae are well under that so head clearance is a problem.....and knees. From the talks I've had with Cody he just wants to go out and have fun, race a few selected races each year but also would like to be competitive and have some competition. The first outing in the truck could possibly be the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000 and then the Baja 1000. The longer races will give him more seat time and more bang for his buck. There is a chance he might hit a smaller race in there somewhere but the truck has to get finished first.

View attachment 205665
Always likes the truck, it sure seemed reliable and fast.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Just wondering how the updating on your truck is going at the Collin's Race shop, any updated photos of work. I personal wouldn't mess the geometry of the suspension, when its driven hard it seams to work fantastic. I observed this truck for many years.

Not my truck, 100% Cody Swanty's ride. As far as I know the geometry is not being touched, just clearance for the 40" tires and driver. I haven't been to Collins shop lately so not sure how much work has been done but I should be there next week sometime when I go to SEMA.

richard cretsinger

Reaction
We still run our class 8, we are racing rage at the river this year, if anyone wants to form a class we would love to run in it. As for now, we are signed up in the 1450 pro class.