• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 9 car old lothringer wedge almost done for testing

This is a car I bought from a gentleman near inland empire near lothringers shop a few years ago. It was there house car and I am in the finishing stages of getting the car ready to shake down. My question is about crank pulleys. Can we use a stock diameter aluminum pulley or a stock size crank pulley with a serpentine setup? Just want to make sure. Thanks guys.

Attachments

Mr. Mohr the legend thank you for the reply. So can we use serp or no or bad thing? Stock machined pulley is slinging oil so I want to know how far I can go before scrutiny is involved lol #class9. Thank you sir for your reply so I can get appropriate equipment. I have a few more questions about some things as well if help can be asked for.

Mohr

Legend? Um, Thanks, I think.....Call the shop if you have any questions...glad to help....760-847-6647

Mohr

760-947-6647 oops...couldn't find the edit button....

ACME

Congrats on a great find! We owned a few Wedgies including building the last one and loved them! There weren't many Wedgie 9's built but a fleet of 16's and all the cars were competitive and light... Guessing you've talked to Kent, great car builder and a lot of the OG class 9 guys used him and his front ends, shocks and ideas; if not hit him up, he loves seeing the old iron he built. If you have the "House Car" you probably know it was owned by Gene Gripentrog (RIP) and he and Kent won a ton of SNORE races and believe a few championships in that car before it was sold and bounced around. If not mistaken I believe the next owner (Ford?) cut the roof and changed it and I'm pretty sure Steve Thompson was the original owner before Gene and Kent ended up with it. The Original SS built for Johnny Bartolatti and raced by him and Kent is still around, last seen in the SD area and was still pretty much the same. The one owned by Dan Mustoe has been MIA for a few years and I think it had it's roof clipped as well. We saw it in the Palm Springs area a handful of years ago on a trailer. The last wedgie built in '87/88 ended up in Baja where a few years ago, it was still racing CODE in the Safari Class with IRS and a bypass in the rear and the old Lothringer BJ front end.

Old class 9's never die, the just get remodled! Enjoy

Thank you for all the great info it is one reason I really like this car and can't wait to get it done. This car still had the long straight roofline on it when I got it and I did the radius roof change on it relocation of the tires inside the car now as well. Going to be a fun car and maybe even do a norra race too just for ol time sake. My next question is battery's. One or two and oddessy 1200CCA. And what gauge battery cable. About a 15 run from battery to starter 2 gauge or will 4 gauge be ok? Thank you again I can't wait to meet you guys and race with you all. Darrin.

ACME

I know that car originally had an Airborne battery from Battery Sales Unlimited in Glendora, should be an angle iron batter box next to the fuel cell if I recall. Weight the car and see what you can get away with. If you have room and weight and Optima will last longer, if it's tight go smaller. WE just installed a nuts battery in the new Golf Cart. Check out Antigravity Batteries... Also if it's going to Baja dos batteries is a good idea...